Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ICC World Cup 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yeah, England have put huge pressure on themselves now. Massive game against the Kiwis.

Big pressure tomorrow surely against Aus? They could just as easily lose their final three games as get anything out of them. I expect it was figured they'd have secured the SF place by now and there'd be little pressure on the run in. But hasn't quite panned out that way.

Kiwis look like they'll qualify easily, would have added a bit of bite if that final Brathwaite hit had been 12 inches higher. As it is, they'll likely have less to play for against Eng? That's how it seems to me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Big pressure tomorrow surely against Aus? They could just as easily lose their final three games as get anything out of them. I expect it was figured they'd have secured the SF place by now and there'd be little pressure on the run in. But hasn't quite panned out that way.

Kiwis look like they'll qualify easily, would have added a bit of bite if that final Brathwaite hit had been 12 inches higher. As it is, they'll likely have less to play for against Eng? That's how it seems to me anyway :)

No, that's a gimme!

You're right really.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A bit of action from Friday:

2nd over and Kusal Perera top edges Woakes to Moeen Ali at 3rd Man

483519.jpg

One fan is not overly pleased when the Sri Lankan band decide to set up immediately behind him - a Cymbal of things to come for England fans?

483520.jpg

Angelo Mathews decides to take up the challenge of Adil Rashid:

483522.jpg

Dhanajaya de Silva finds the safe hands of Joe Root:

483523.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

England's innings

Joe Root seems to know which way he's going

483524.jpg

Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of rum, me hearties:

483525.jpg

But it does not last very long:

483526.jpg

At least Ben tries to stoke the fire:

483527.jpg

Alas it was not to be - so bring on the Aussies (have to stay at home after a minor surgical procedure today so should get to see it on Sky)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

England win the toss and will bowl first.

Australia, as much as I hate to admit it, look like they are coming on to the boil. Squeeky bum time for England if they lose this one.

• Advertisement

Australia, as much as I hate to admit it, look like they are coming on to the boil. Squeeky bum time for England if they lose this one.

I guess this is now Cricket's "Main Event" and it's better if all teams can rise to the occasion, while still allowing the cream to rise to the top

It currently looks like the first 4 will make it but England will certainly need to show their form over the past few years to ensure a final 4 place (and I personally don't mind if it's 1st or 4th, as I've a ticket for the Old Trafford semi-final!)

The next 15 overs are going to be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Australia keeps losing wickets... will be definitely short of runs (259 for 7 after 47)

ends on 285 for 7

All to play for - not the highest score but no doddle either. Eng would want to be getting off to a steady start, as you could see the pressure getting to them if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Australia could have well been down 2-3 wickets by the 15th over. They did well to front the early storm but didn't really capitalise on it. Defendable target though.

• Advertisement

England should have the momentum after clawing so much back in the 2nd half of that innings

Needs Vince and Bairstow to give them a better start than against Sri Lanka though, and indeed avoid allowing the Aussies to get their tails up. They don't have to score quickly to stay in the game, and building a response, rather than trying to slog their way to victory, is probably the key

Oh well - at least Vince survived the first ball....

0-1 after 2 balls

Oops!!!!!!!!!!

England very shaky

And Morgan's gone

26-3 after 5.5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Going to be a quick one I doubt. Hosts to go out?

Beasty wrote: »
    And Morgan's gone

26-3 after 5.5

Eng disintegrating... If this was Irl we'd be embarrassed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

bairstow gone for 27. 53/4 after 14

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Going to be a quick one I doubt. Hosts to go out?
    With Stokes, Buttler, Ali and Woakes left England will always have a chance

The Aussies have just lost their review also, and who knows if that could have an impact

95-4 in the 22nd

Beasty wrote: »
    With Stokes, Buttler, Ali and Woakes left England will always have a chance

The Aussies have just lost their review also, and who knows if that could have an impact

95-4 in the 22nd

Yeah they've steadied this a bit better than I thought they would. Stokes had a few nervy shots I thought after Bairstow went and I thought that would be it. While Ali and Woakes can add valuable runs to an innings, I wouldn't trust them to chase down 180 runs.

• Advertisement

Buttler gone now and that as they say could be that. 124/5 (27.2)

Running out of wickets, and Englands tail rarely wags.Curtains i'd say.

England need to win their last two games, away to India in Birmingham :pac: and home against New Zealand in Durham, to ensure they go through to the semi-final.A massive ask,and I can't see it happening.

They might get there with one victory, but they would need a few favours from elsewhere - starting with a New Zealand win over Pakistan tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

England believed their own hype. 2nd very poor performance with the bat. They aren't going to qualify imo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Their belief in Vince is staggering. He has failed time and again at international level but they keep going back to him. Roy has been a huge loss but some of the other batsmen are so bad when the pressure is on. They weren't chasing big totals in the last two games yet no one (bar Stokes) seemed to be able to knuckle down for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Tournament cricket is so much different to those lengthy ODI series. Maybe England should have had more tri/quad series tournaments instead of just having those best of 5s or 7s.

There must be a question over Stokes' availability for the match against India.

We'll have a better idea over the next few days, but England could still do it with 2 rainoffs:pac:

I do think getting Roy back in is going to be critical. Plunkett can replace Stokes and improve the bowling. It only needs a couple of very talented front-line batsmen to perform on the day, but that could equally be said for either side. This team does look better when setting a target rather than chasing one down, and the batsmen then seem to play with more freedom. Having said all that, England do seem to be suffering possibly from lack of familiarity with English conditions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I wonder when and if the UK media will turn on Morgan. If they don't qualify I suspect that overnight he'll become a pariah.

Personally, I'd be rather pleased if they don't qualify, only because I don't approve of them poaching Joffra from the Windies.

I wonder when and if the UK media will turn on Morgan. If they don't qualify I suspect that overnight he'll become a pariah.

Personally, I'd be rather pleased if they don't qualify, only because I don't approve of them poaching Joffra from the Windies.

Wondered that too, mind you the cricket is not quite the soccer in terms of the media? They shouldn’t be pulling in players, given their position and choice.

They may hope that Ind and NZ can take their foot off the pedal. Could lose both quite easily though. Maybe the weather will intervene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

May I ask what I'm missing? New Zealand seem to me to be in a better position than England to qualify for semi's yet NZ are a bigger price to win outright??

Advertisement