Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to third level - advice needed

• 22-06-2019 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello there, this year i'll be returning to college to study civil engineering. I'm a mature student and haven't done any formal studying in quite a few years. So I was wondering if anyone here who has done engineering at third level could advise on any studying I could be doing over the summer? I did not do science or tech drawing for the leaving cert so how much of a disadvantage will I be at without any knowledge in these subjects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭mun1

Went back to do elec eng when i was 26.
    Studied maths over the summer to get myself back upto speed as all eng is applied math.
    Stood to me well in first year

So my advice is study math during the summer.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Leverage your college's mature student supports for stuff like this, or even contact the engineering department directly to get an overview of the course. In my experience, mature students do well because they really are more mature than the average student; the growing-up bit that's essential to learning is already done. The downside though is that your learning background will be different.

The maths suggestion is a good one if you're stuck for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Maverick91

mun1 wrote: »
    Went back to do elec eng when i was 26.
    Studied maths over the summer to get myself back upto speed as all eng is applied math.
    Stood to me well in first year

So my advice is study math during the summer.
    Best of luck
    Leverage your college's mature student supports for stuff like this, or even contact the engineering department directly to get an overview of the course. In my experience, mature students do well because they really are more mature than the average student; the growing-up bit that's essential to learning is already done. The downside though is that your learning background will be different.

The maths suggestion is a good one if you're stuck for advice.

Thanks for the replies. I have bought an engineering mathematics book and I'm going through it to try and get the basics down at least. I'm more worried about the drawing aspect though as I was always a bit rubbish at it. I'm not sure where to even start, I know most of it is done on CAD software now but I've never used it before.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I started my engineering degree when I was in my thirties and graduated 10 years ago.
    Maverick91 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have bought an engineering mathematics book and I'm going through it to try and get the basics down at least.

My advice would be to start with leaving cert maths as that is where the course is designed to start from.
    I'm more worried about the drawing aspect though as I was always a bit rubbish at it. I'm not sure where to even start, I know most of it is done on CAD software now but I've never used it before.

I wouldn’t worry about this at all.
    I expect you will be working with a number of 2D and 3D packages including Revit.

I assume that you are aware that in general civil engineers are not paid as well as most other engineering disciplines?

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Khan academy online for free maths courses / revision

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 andrew2017

I recruit for Life Sciences Sector (engineering and beyond).You would be better off going to a course that is industry centred with a placement at the end (especially pharma type - if this is an area of interest). Engineering sector is very compeditive and you need to ick your course wisely.

Why dont you consider HEA scheme - google @springboardcourses@ - they have Level 6 - Level 9 NFQ degrees (and will be likely cheap too)!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 andrew2017

Kirby Engineering posted today that they are looking for Graduate Quantity Surveyors - reach out to their TA via LinkeIn and discuss what kind of degrees they will accept. Will give you a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Pick up a good maths book like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-Dr-Anthony-Croft/dp/1292146656.
    Go through as many of the examples as you can would be idealbut getting the first few chapters down and then getting to grips with the matrices and first couple of calculus chapters will see you right and make sure you're at the same level if not ahead of others.

A good physics book, University Physics by Hugh D. Young is good, work through some of that and you'll be placed very well too.

Regarding CAD stuff, I can't imagine you'll be doing a whole lot of hand drawn stuff and they'll be teaching you what you need to know for that but look at the first year syllabus and see what it says you need.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Start with leaving cert maths and physics then move up to A level maths and physics.

I'd leave the engineering & university level maths and physics books for now. The Leaving Cert books will give you the decent grounding and the A level a step further but will explain stuff in more depth then the typical university level stuff.

MIT have all their lectures online I believe so that might be worth checking out. Coursera is probably also worth a look too.

Advertisement