Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you say mum, mom, mam or ma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mom (it's a Kerry thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The move to english?

Bearla as Gaeilge (fada on the e methinks)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd say mom or mam, ie-what's for dinner mam
    and for my dad i'd just say dad or da. ie-where's me da

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

For me its mam and dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

phasers wrote: »
    Since when is "Mam" the culchie version?

"Mum" is for English people/posh wannabes

I call her "mum" because that is what I was taught as a baby. You can't really say a baby wants to be an English/posh wannabe!

• Advertisement

I call her "mum" because that is what I was taught as a baby. You can't really say a baby wants to be an English/posh wannabe!

Yes that 'westbrit' argument is the kind of thing Ruairi O'Bradaigh and Republican Sinn Fein would trot out.

Even 'normal' Sinn Fein are well past that sort of old guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You can say their parents do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mum, the others sounds so bad to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

If you are Irish it is Mam... Anglican slang for the word Mhaithair in Irish.

Please don't tell me anyone in Ireland actually says Mum or Mom? That's just ridiculous. Too much Home and Away and the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

More importantly. When refering to your parents do you say my mother/father or CORRECTLY. Me aulfella or the aulone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

phasers wrote: »
    You can say their parents do.

No, you can't. What we call our parents does not make you posh or a "wannabe" englishman/woman, it's what we do that defines us ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It irks me no end to hear people saying 'mom'. Only started hearing it in the past few years. like, what, do you think you're American or what? I used to say mam. that's normal, nevermind this 'culchie' shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mam or dad, grown adults who call their parents mammy and daddy are just sad.

or people who call them by their first names, wtf is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

3 southside schoolgirls on Late Late Show young scientist slot last night.

I was born n'raised in Blackrock/Glenageary but the accent they spoke with is utterly foreign to me.

Add in their make up fetish and Orange County is a fairly apt description of them.

Go back to school..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've always said mam, never associated it with being a culchie thing. Most of my friends would say mam/ma. Mom or mum just sounds wrong.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Go back to school..

Like to see me in a uniform eh?

Cheeky :o

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Man and Tom!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Mam & Da

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Mumsiemoo

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Mumsie dearest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Mater and Pater

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Mater and Pater

Urbe in Rus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Depends where I am, my mood and topic of conversation.

If I'm annoyed it's usually mum.
    If I want something its mammy
    Then I usually use the ma, or mam.

Most of the time I call her BAJP, its all the initials of her name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

3 southside schoolgirls on Late Late Show young scientist slot last night.

I was born n'raised in Blackrock/Glenageary but the accent they spoke with is utterly foreign to me.

Add in their make up fetish and Orange County is a fairly apt description of them.

A little off topic but re: the totally foreign accent, it has now permeated down to Limerick.

My Mom (I suppose I say "mom,) and I were in TopShop where she very kindly purchased me as shirt.

As we left the shop she goes: "What the hell was that young wan behind the counter saying? What kind of accent is that? Where is she from?" I went to school with the girl, Limerick through and through but she spoke with SOME desperate American accent boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

ok, people who say mum, mom are either too posh to the point its laughable or pretentious and want to be perceived as being 'well spoken' and 'well off'.
    do they call their dad 'dod'? as for the OP you can say mum or mom and call the southside the good side all you want but when it comes to the craic, dublin wit, proper banter and slaggin the northside is yer only man, in other words keep your poxy poshness, i meet your type all the time and you's are f*ckin boring!
    i say mam or dad when speaking to them...
    ma or da when refering to them with friends sometimes (if you think thats disgusting your too delicate for dublin and you should try to mix with people outside your small circle, but people will smell the judgement off ya and tell you to f*ck off probably and so it continues...)
    mammy is perfectly acceptable for children only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Progenitor.

When the mood strikes, Mom (over 30 years usage).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Mammy:o
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Ma most of the time and Mammy if I want something.

At last some sense being spoken in AH.

Its mammy.

MAMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

This "Mom is American" shit really pisses me off.

I say Mom, because my Mom and Dad both call their mother's Mom, from the Irish "A Mhamaí" or "A Mham", which is pronounced with an O sound not an A. We're from an area close to the Gaeltacht near Dingle, Co. Kerry, and as I now live in the middle of the country where all I hear is "Mum" or "Ma" (shudder) I have actually asked all my Kerry friends and they all said they say "Mom". My grandmother is 89, all her sons are in their 50's/60's, some of them have barely seen tv let alone America, and they say Mom. My friend *from* the Gaeltacht says Mom whether she's speaking English or Irish.

So feck this "Mom is American", it's as Irish as you can bloody get.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

super-rush wrote: »
    At last some sense being spoken in AH.

Its mammy.

MAMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Effin' boggers.

Its MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Larianne wrote: »
    Effin' boggers.

Its MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

No its mammy.

End of.

Thread closed.

Advertisement