Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Come Richard Never Ages

• 21-05-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

After recent episodes ive (and im sure others have) noticed one of "the others" named richard doesnt get older. He has been seen in a number of occations.

In season 3, a ben flashback, we see when ben runs off he runs into richard in the jungle as richard was one of the hostiles. he asks ben was he lost and he looks mid thithys.

Another scene he was in was when locke joined the others and he explains to locke its pretty amazing how a man in a wheelchair somehow able to walk. again he looks mid thirthys the same age as he was when ben was a kid.

The most confusing one is a recent episode with john locke flashback showing him growing up. When john was born Richard yet again was there with him and he looks the same even a bit older than other scenes and it begs the question.....

who and what is richard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

he uses the island to time travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

he's "some boy", whoever he is

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

he is really jacob

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Capri Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Oil of olay first thing in the morning and just before bed at night. He also has a high fibre diet and doesnt smoke or drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

Indie18 wrote: »
    he is really jacob

I am going with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Oil of olay first thing in the morning and just before bed at night. He also has a high fibre diet and doesnt smoke or drink.

thats just a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think we already have the answer in the fact that Michael cannot die because the island isn't done with him/he has redeemed himself for the murder of the two women.

What are the chances that Richard Alpert was a member of the crew or captain of the slaving ship "The Black Rock" and that Jacob/The Island is keeping him alive until he atones for his crimes. A rickety old man would be of new use on the island but an immortal man in his prime would. It would also explain why Alpert is not the leader of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Yeah this guy is one of the most interesting things about the show.
    I never forget his face, cos I remember him from Suddenly Susan years ago. Otherwise I might never have noticed he was in it several times.

I wonder if the Others really know he's been around for so long.

Also confused as to why he was annoyed Locke picked the knife as something he already owns. I thought maybe he'd want him to have special powers, so surely picking the knife indicates that he would. Was the comic book the right answer? Just wonder exactly what he was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Fridge wrote: »
    Yeah this guy is one of the most interesting things about the show.
    I never forget his face, cos I remember him from Suddenly Susan years ago. Otherwise I might never have noticed he was in it several times.

I wonder if the Others really know he's been around for so long.

Well ben would remember him being that age from when he was a kid so ben atleast knows and im sure some of the othersd who have eben on the island for 15-20 odd years would notice him not aging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

No sense in guessing ages on this show. Aaron is meant to be a few weeks old and is the size of 6 month old with his head shaved. Might as well cast The man with the scores George Dawes. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Talisman wrote: »
    I think we already have the answer in the fact that Michael cannot die because the island isn't done with him/he has redeemed himself for the murder of the two women.

What are the chances that Richard Alpert was a member of the crew or captain of the slaving ship "The Black Rock" and that Jacob/The Island is keeping him alive until he atones for his crimes. A rickety old man would be of new use on the island but an immortal man in his prime would. It would also explain why Alpert is not the leader of the others.

Thats a cool theory. Not sure if it's true but it would be nice.

I still reckon at least some of the Others are natives who live extremely long lives, not immortal or never aging but very slowly growing older. Maybe Dharma did something on the island which prevents them from having children and this is why the overthrew Dharma to see if they can again reproduce so they won't become extinct. In the mean time they have to recruit from the outside to keep up numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

MikeHoncho wrote: »

i heard it was nivea for men

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Holy water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Richard is very much on his own arc, not in precise control just has important duties to do.

I don't think Richard is Jacob. When Locke got the flash of Jacob in the cabin he looked raggedy and old.

Richard looks phwoar in a lot of scenes.

I bet you he tints his eyelashes or wears eye line, no way can they be that dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

well after the season 4 finale we see that time travel does exist on the island so i guess my qustion is anserd on how he looks the same age in the locke flashback, but still.....

.....how come ben grew up but richard still didnt age aswell. because richard couldnt of used time travel as a hostile because its in a dharma station. so when ben(as a child) ran into richard in the jungle how come he looks like himself now

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

brennaldo wrote: »
    well after the season 4 finale we see that time travel does exist on the island so i guess my qustion is anserd on how he looks the same age in the locke flashback, but still.....

.....how come ben grew up but richard still didnt age aswell. because richard couldnt of used time travel as a hostile because its in a dharma station. so when ben(as a child) ran into richard in the jungle how come he looks like himself now

because thats when they took all the darma stations and richard probably only started time traveling after they took the darma stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Yeah and Richard travelled back to the past to meet young Ben that time.

Advertisement