Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial fucκing sweeteners in everything everything tastes like shıt now.

• 13-09-2020 2:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

I got breakfast out in a local pub. I took a taste of the beans, grimaced, forced myself to swallow them and didn't eat the rest. My family, the rest of whom were eating a breakfast not including beans asked me what was wrong and accused me of being a "sugar addict". The beans didn't taste crap because of the lack of sugar, they tasted rubbish because of the dreadful artificial sweeteners. Sugar free seems to be the standard nowadays.Give customers the choice and don't assume. The girl who served us had very broken English so I didn't bother saying anything.

I tried to find a nice bottle of squash, haven't had one in years, ALL have sweeteners.

Even bastard mouthwash has sweeteners. I like the antiseptic taste of traditional mouthwash but corsydyl, a very expensive brand is the only brand like that now. All others are polluted with sweeteners.

The only soft drinks with real sugar are Pepsi, Club Orange and Coca Cola - all others have aspartame, sucralose etc.

Sweeteners can suck my left one. Just because Jacinta the local fatso can't keep the Snickers and Coke out of her gob for five minutes normal healthy people can no longer enjoy an occasional treat.

Anyone have a time machine to take me back to my childhood in the 90's?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I tried to find a nice bottle of squash, haven't had one in years, ALL have sweeteners.

A couple of the M&S brand squashes have no artificial sweeteners.

The cúnts ruined Lucozade :mad:

Yeah I agree, would be a food libertarian also - if you’re obese don’t go guzzling fizzy drinks by the litre. There really is no excuse nowadays with so much information out there, nobody isn’t aware sweets and soft drinks etc are unhealthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

iguana wrote: »
    A couple of the M&S brand squashes have no artificial sweeteners.

Whilst Stevia is a "natural sweetener" it still doesn't cut it. Let me have my proper white gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Yep EBE - this is a gripe of mine too. Used to love the very occasional Ribena or San Pellegrino orange. Both awful now.

AND... that sweetener crap makes me really hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Are these the same guys who ruined Monster Munch?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Thats nanny state Ireland for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I got breakfast out in a local pub. I took a taste of the beans, grimaced, forced myself to swallow them and didn't eat the rest. My family, the rest of whom were eating a breakfast not including beans asked me what was wrong and accused me of being a "sugar addict". The beans didn't taste crap because of the lack of sugar, they tasted rubbish because of the dreadful artificial sweeteners. Sugar free seems to be the standard nowadays.Give customers the choice and don't assume. The girl who served us had very broken English so I didn't bother saying anything.

Even bastard mouthwash has sweeteners. I like the antiseptic taste of traditional mouthwash but corsydyl, a very expensive brand is the only brand like that now. All others are polluted with sweeteners.

The only soft drinks with real sugar are Pepsi, Club Orange and Coca Cola - all others have aspartame, sucralose etc.

Sweeteners can suck my left one. Just because Jacinta the local fatso can't keep the Snickers and Coke out of her gob for five minutes normal healthy people can no longer enjoy an occasional treat.

Anyone have a time machine to take me back to my childhood in the 90's?

This pisses me off too. Sweeteners give me extreme cramping, bloating and diarrhoea. It means I have to avoid anything and everything with them in it which has become a minefield and a nightmare to eat out. You’d think most foods have no reason to be artificially sweetened but if there is something untoward in the dish, my stomach tells me straight away and it lasts for days. It means I have to be really careful anywhere and everywhere I go and if I do choose to “go mad” by having a pizza or a burger (which shouldn’t have that crap in them), I need to brace myself for a five day rollercoaster. The only solution I’ve found to this is preparing all my own foods from scratch. If I don’t, something, somewhere, always catches me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's because people are stupid and can't be trusted to not shovel mars bars into their mouths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Could you have asked for sachets of real sugar, then stirred the contents into the baked beans?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Whilst Stevia is a "natural sweetener" it still doesn't cut it. Let me have my proper white gold.

Stevia is manky shïte too. It's ruined 7up. The M&S Orange and Apple&Mango squashes are sugar sweetened only afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

I can see artificial sweeteners being the next health issue in 10 years time.

Stevia is rubbish. Tropicana has/had a 50/50 juice. 50% regular OJ then the remainder water and Stevia. RRP was more expensive than the regular Tropicana OJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Completely agree. A lot of soft drinks amongst other things really do taste dreadful now.

You'll get used to it after a while. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The cúnts ruined Lucozade :mad:

Hairy japanese bastards.

🙈🙉🙊

Is Lilt still good?

Here comes the Lilt man....Lilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

daheff wrote: »

Agree, but think it may be sooner than that, Aspartame's been in use under numerous names for almost 40 years so lots of evidence on its damaging effect, much worse than the sugar it replaces.

How it ever got approved is beyond me, though does makes for interesting reading.
    But sure the US FDA approved it, so must be safe for everyone else to approve too.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Could you not just buy a sugar free version and lob in a few teaspoons yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

OP sounds bitter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Could you have asked for sachets of real sugar, then stirred the contents into the baked beans?

How is that going to remove the vile taste/aftertaste of artificial sweeteners?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is Lilt still good?

Here comes the Lilt man....Lilt!

Nah. Not a totally tropical taste anymore man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Could you not just buy a sugar free version and lob in a few teaspoons yourself ?

:rolleyes:

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Nah. Not a totally tropical taste anymore man

Bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Are these the same guys who ruined Monster Munch?

Foot scientists - shower of absolute bastards.

Even though to answer the OP, beans have always been disgusting. Gross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

This is a good enough a reason to Start a War, Not a Great Reason but Good Enough ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

daheff wrote: »

What do you mean? Anything put in our food pases rigorous human testing, there won't be any surprises there. Safety profile of most sweeteners is very good and is for sure much healthier than consuming obscene amouns of sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'd be hard pressed to buy anything containing sweeteners. They've been around a long time but I just can't develop a taste for them at all.

Cordials without sweeteners are difficult to come by, I used to enjoy an occasional lemon barley water but that's gone by the wayside now.

As for people guzzling down sugar, I see a girl in one of the local supermarkets working at the self service checkouts, probably weighs 20 stone and always has a Coke or a club orange in her hand. Much like taxing cigarettes, people who want to ingest crap will pay any price for the privilege.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

7up is ruined forever.

Used to be a classic Irish staple now its disgusting because they have 'improved it with sweenters'

If I want a frizzy drink, I want a full fat one.

Not my problem if other people csnr limit their intake of sugar, I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

The 'diet'/sugar-free version of most soft drinks has been available for decades now, so those who want that option have long been catered for.
    The replacement of sugar with artificial sweeteners has feck all to do with concerns about health and everything to do with the fact that the artificial sweeteners are cheaper for the manufacturer - so they charge the consumer the same price for a product which now costs them less to produce.
    Bastards!

Advertisement