Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula E - Gen.2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

Watching the highlights of the Mexico race here, wow, some difference when they’re racing on a proper race track. Looks be be a LOT of spectators too which is great. The cars are visibly slower than F1 cars on the straight, but it doesn’t hurt the racing at all...some great battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone see the race this morning? Was it any good?

If not I see the highlights of it are on BBC Two at 07.30 am on Sunday morning.

Edit: Its actually a live race not highlights like I said above but corrected by a poster below.

No wonder there was no posts in hear yet lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone see the race this morning? Was it any good?

If not I see the highlights of it are on BBC Two at 07.30 am on Sunday morning.

Those aren't highlights it's a live race. It's on tomorrow morning.

Ms

flazio wrote: »
    Those aren't highlights it's a live race. It's on tomorrow morning.
    Awe lovely. Why on a Sunday do instead of Saturday when its normally on?

A really good start to the race by Sam Bird and a very exciting start to the race to oh and its wet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

A really good start to the race by Sam Bird and a very exciting start to the race to oh and its wet.

Race red flagged at the moment because of a crash and both Mahindra's are out of the race but not there fault do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Such a great race. I love how close these cars can drive to each other!

Will bird be given a penalty? Montara could end up race winner!

Good enough race. Attack mode didn't make much of a difference in my opinion. Good to see how close the racing is.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

astrofluff wrote: »
    Will bird be given a penalty? Montara could end up race winner!

Good enough race. Attack mode didn't make much of a difference in my opinion. Good to see how close the racing is.

I don't see how they could penalise him. Wasn't intentional. Lotterer drove across his nose ultimately. I said he'd get a puncture before he got it. It was too much of a wallop not to have had any consequences.

Red flags, safety cars and high enough attrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Great race, leaders within two seconds the whole race and several lead changes, race decided in the last laps
    Feel sorry for lotterer with loosing the second race on the last meters and vandoorne who is let down by the car again.

• Advertisement
    Ms

So Sam Bird has been giving a penalty which means the Venturi get there first win of the season. A bit harsh I think. Really thought Sam Bird deserved the win.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I must be in the minority, I think Bird deserved the penalty. He didn't set out to take out Lotterer on purpose, he just did it accidentally. It was a mistake but I couldn't mark that down as a racing incident.

But the race was good, driver's championship fight is super close. And 5 different race winners already this season.

I wanted Bird to have the win, but the penalty is fair IMO.

Ms

skipper_G wrote: »
    I must be in the minority, I think Bird deserved the penalty. He didn't set out to take out Lotterer on purpose, he just did it accidentally. It was a mistake but I couldn't mark that down as a racing incident.

But the race was good, driver's championship fight is super close. And 5 different race winners already this season.

After looking at the incident I think you are right. I had not seen all of the race when I said that. But after seeing it he did damage Lotterors car and puncture his tyre to so it seemed only right. I think Sam Bird knew it as well and that's why it did not celebrate after or on the podium.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Bird's penalty was absurd. Stewards continuing to prove how useless they are at the job. Lotterer moves over slightly during braking, as well a braking earlier than expected; should've been 100% called a racing incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Saw the last 15 minutes of the race and was a bit disappointed. Seemed impossible to overtake at the circuit, Bird was clearly in a faster car but couldn't get past. After the last safety car there was a train of cars from 4th down with what appeared to be minimal overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

AMKC wrote: »
    So Sam Bird has been giving a penalty which means the Venturi get there first win of the season. A bit harsh I think. Really thought Sam Bird deserved the win.

Watched the highlights last night - Bird deserves the penalty (in fact, it was bland) as he essentially just seems to always go for the contact, bump, moving the other car out of the way etc.

Frankly, the racing standards are becoming appaling - the race looked like a destruction derby, the start with all the contact and ramming reminded me of a bunch of kids playing Forza Motorsport online...ffs, the guy in the LEAD was a few meters away and got a bump from behind from a driver who was pushed by another one and so on. These "non Formula as they have wheel arches" cars are kinda inviting drivers to use the opposition as brakes. I've hardly ever seen so much contact in touring cars racing...

Ms

So the next race is on tomorrow and its in Sanya, China. I don't think to many of us will be watching it live do its on at 2:30 am in the morning.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's on live at 7am for us. It'll be broadcast on BT Sport, Eurosport, Virgin Media and BBC red button amoung other outlets.

Coverage of the race begins at 6.30am.

Sanya is 8 hours ahead of GMT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Man, this is far too early in the weekend to be having a race, let alone some quali...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jaysus the amount of steward investigations.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Jaysus the amount of steward investigations.

Formula 1 levels of investigations. You can see this race series is going to exceed F1. 6 race winners from 6 races. And we're not done either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Formula 1 levels of investigations. You can see this race series is going to exceed F1. 6 race winners from 6 races. And we're not done either.

I have to say that while it is an exciting series, is not going to exceed F1 in the foreseeable future. The circuits are too short and the races are not long enough. It's very entertaining though.

Thats hard to see. It still has a tendency to be somewhat like bumper cars. As drivers literally push and shove around to get a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

The biggest test for FE will be if/when it can transition to proper, historical, and actual race circuits. The current tracks are almost certainly to accommodate the limits of the cars, as opposed to the PR nonsense about allowing people not to travel - provide the show, and people will have no problem traveling. It’s a necessary evil to have a full season of Monaco tracks at the mo, but it will need to grow beyond those limits eventually.

That said, it handled itself when racing in Mexico recently, so I’d be confident in time we could see it transition to proper tracks, once the speeds begin to align more closely with F1 speeds. Granted, higher speeds doesn’t mean better racing, but as long as F1 is around, it will be used as a yard stick to compare FE to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I think it's a long way from that even being possible, they have fundamental issues with the product. The disaster that is the TV scheduling for one. Sometimes it seems to be on 10 different channels, then the next race it's on none. I know the BBC Red Button channel works but you can't record it. Missed it live and it's tough luck. At least with F1 I know which channel it's on (not getting drawn into a debate on Sky's exclusive deal here). For what it's worth formula e races that I've seen have been mostly good. There have been a few stinkers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

skipper_G wrote: »
    I think it's a long way from that even being possible, they have fundamental issues with the product. The disaster that is the TV scheduling for one. Sometimes it seems to be on 10 different channels, then the next race it's on none. I know the BBC Red Button channel works but you can't record it. Missed it live and it's tough luck. At least with F1 I know which channel it's on (not getting drawn into a debate on Sky's exclusive deal here). For what it's worth formula e races that I've seen have been mostly good. There have been a few stinkers in there.

I have been able to get them all on Eurosport. Record and watch them later. It's all the same feed and commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Depending on your TV provider,
    Eurosport, BT Sport and I presume Virgin Media Sport (it's not like they have much else to show) will show all the sessions live.

My point about surpassing F1, and I agree it's a long way off at the moment, is that the cars are so powerful although the battery is only getting 45mins with. It's only a matter of time before development is at F1 levels. They do need to consider the track suitability as I'm not happy with the short tracks, or lack of space for proper overtakes.

With more speed, the higher the mess/risk so maybe as the series matures, the drivers will seek to protect themselves.

I have to say, interesting how far the series has come with only 4 seasons competed.

• Advertisement

My point about surpassing F1, and I agree it's a long way off at the moment, is that the cars are so powerful although the battery is only getting 45mins with. It's only a matter of time before development is at F1 levels. They do need to consider the track suitability as I'm not happy with the short tracks, or lack of space for proper overtakes.

With more speed, the higher the mess/risk so maybe as the series matures, the drivers will seek to protect themselves.

I have to say, interesting how far the series has come with only 4 seasons competed.

I think its far more likely F1 adds more electric power (if electric power gets powerful enough) than FE catches/overtakes F1.

Advertisement