Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mosquitoes in Dublin

• 08-09-2012 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Okay,so everyone I have spoken to tells me that there are no mosquitoes in Ireland.Bullsh*t!Two nights ago I killed 19 mosquitoes in my room (yes I counted them) and left another 7 buzzing around annoying the sh1t out of me.Now,two minutes ago I killed about 13 in the sitting room and kitchen.
    I know what a mosquito looks like because I lived in South Africa for 11 years near the Mozambique border so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    After my first night of terror I went to the pharmacy asking for a mosquito repellent,the woman looked at me as if I was mad and told me no.

I leave a saucer of vinegar next to my bed (sounds weird I know) now,they hate that,and I hate them.
    Kill them,kill them all.They have no purpose in nature.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I've been on 2 buses a day for the last week, of those 10 buses 9 had the same mosquito looking thing banging off the window, they're taking over! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Not 8 but 9. Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

uberalles wrote: »
    Not 8 but 9. Mmmmm

exactly, 9! I think we both know the significance :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Didn´t they use to say there weren´t snakes in Ireland either?

I do remember reading in Nat Geo tho that blind snakes (?) had been accidentally introduced to Ireland in flower pots (guess St. Patrick never saw THAT coming).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

Ireland has at least 18 species of mosquito I think.

They annoy the sh*t out of me especially when your nearly asleep and they whine slowly past your ear:mad: !!

However as annoying as they are they constitute a big part of the food chain especially their larvae.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Caswell

However as annoying as they are they constitute a big part of the food chain especially their larvae.[/QUOTE]

Really,how big?Are you sure the world can not do without them?

"Mosquitoes worldwide infect around 250 million people with malaria. About 2-3 million people die from it. The remainder of the diseases that mosquitoes carry kill in the hundreds of thousands."

Just read that!Are you sure they are a vital part of the food chain?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Caswell wrote: »
    However as annoying as they are they constitute a big part of the food chain especially their larvae.

"Mosquitoes worldwide infect around 250 million people with malaria. About 2-3 million people die from it. The remainder of the diseases that mosquitoes carry kill in the hundreds of thousands."

Just read that!Are you sure they are a vital part of the food chain?[/QUOTE]

If they're here, its for a reason.

Adam Khor wrote: »

Just read that!Are you sure they are a vital part of the food chain?

If they're here, its for a reason.[/QUOTE]

To cull humans?To annoy me?What is the reason because I have no idea.

To cull humans?To annoy me?What is the reason because I have no idea.

Well maybe its not about you. Or humans for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I read an article from a nature website a while ago and it said that mosquitoes seem to attack 0 negative blood types more than they do any other blood-type and i get riddled with huge bites from them and really bad but everyone else here in this house never gets bit by them and it so happens that i have 0 negative blood and they leave me in huge lumps after they bite. So is this myth or scientific fact or just a theory that i am hearing ?. Damn parasites, useless things. They have no real function other than spread disease.

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    I read an article from a nature website a while ago and it said that mosquitoes seem to attack 0 negative blood types more than they do any other blood-type and i get riddled with huge bites from them and really bad but everyone else here in this house never gets bit by them and it so happens that i have 0 negative blood and they leave me in huge lumps after they bite. So is this myth or scientific fact or just a theory that i am hearing ?. Damn parasites, useless things. They have no real function other than spread disease.

Yes, it seems to be true that they prefer O type blood.

And I think if other species could post in online boards of their own they would also call us damn parasites, useless things- only good to spread pollution and devastation.

Adam,you seem to be a bit of an asswipe.I agree,if any other species could post here they would probably all complain about humans.
    At least I am conscious to that fact.Maybe,just maybe if mosquitoes were extinct the world would probably still turn. Everything has a purpose in life,mozzies not so much.

Yes, it seems to be true that they prefer O type blood.

And I think if other species could post in online boards of their own they would also call us damn parasites, useless things- only good to spread pollution and devastation.

You have a very valid point there. There are some amount of human parasites on this globe, i'd like to think i'm not one of them :D

Adam,you seem to be a bit of an asswipe.I agree,if any other species could post here they would probably all complain about humans.
    At least I am conscious to that fact.Maybe,just maybe if mosquitoes were extinct the world would probably still turn. Everything has a purpose in life,mozzies not so much.

Ok, yeah, maybe I'm a bit of an asswipe... but at least I can conceive the possibility that the natural order wasn´t designed with your personal opinions on what has and has not a purpose in mind.

Nasty critters, just look at the mosquitoes belly-end after sucking this mans blood, not for the faint-hearted....

Luckily for me i like spiders, especially the garden ones as they build a huge web so i usually bring in 3 of them and let them make their webs across the bedroom window to catch these mosquitoes but the odd one or two gets in, so my calculation is that i would need 6 big garden spiders to take care of them all but man the amount of webs you get after 2 days all over the room is crazy so it's either the webs that go or the mosquitoes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Caswell banned for 3 days to cool off. I've also deleted the last few posts as they were just bickering, in future just report the post rather than having an on thread exchange with the user. Now......back to the joys of mosquitoes.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Caswell banned for 3 days to cool off. I've also deleted the last few posts as they were just bickering, in future just report the post rather than having an on thread exchange with the user. Now......back to the joys of mosquitoes.

Even though I tried to keep it on-topic by mentioning mosquitos in every post? :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just read that!Are you sure they are a vital part of the food chain?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's just a small number of the total mosquito species that are responsible for the spread of diseases like malaria!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My sister in law took me picking hazelnuts in co Clare. I came back with 6 mozzi bites.

I so happen to have type o blood type.

I went to Italy in may and got at least 30 my hubby had 54 on his back alone, my daughter had 34 on her back. No amount of tropical repellent kept um away.

• Advertisement

You guys need to spend a summer in Florida or even better, Mexico, and THEN you will know mosquitos :D

PS- Just learned that the largest mosquito species lives in Australia, but fortunately for aussies they don´t bite people:

wpe1E6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

You guys need to spend a summer in Florida or even better, Mexico, and THEN you will know mosquitos :D

PS- Just learned that the largest mosquito species lives in Australia, but fortunately for aussies they don´t bite people:

It must be an import. Can't be a native Australian if it's not dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

urgh - mossies just love me for some reason. the aussie ones DO bite! we were in queensland for our honeymoon and I got destroyed. they were that big I could actually feel the bite - like getting stabbed with a needle - rather than just the itchy bump appearing afterwards. repellant with deet in it is the only thing that works. unfortunately is pretty toxic and harmful to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I do remember reading in Nat Geo tho that blind snakes (?) had been accidentally introduced to Ireland in flower pots (guess St. Patrick never saw THAT coming).

Blindworms are legless lizards, not snakes.

Back on topic, yes, I first experienced a mosquito in Ireland in about 197-something, despite everyone telling me they didn't exist here.

Blindworms are legless lizards, not snakes

Yeah but I'm not talking about blindworms, I'm talking about actual blind snakes (like the ones so common in the tropics).
    I'm pretty sure the article I read was about these snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Is it true some of the Irish varieties will try climb up your nostrills through the hairs to suck out of your lungs when you re asleep because of the cold air? :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

pm1977x wrote: »
    I've been on 2 buses a day for the last week, of those 10 buses 9 had the same mosquito looking thing banging off the window, they're taking over! :eek:

I think those must be crane flys? mosquitos are quite small but Ive definitely seen them here. I believe they are a massive part of the food chain, dragonflies and I think damsenflys eat them, they devour the larvae in the water as far as Im aware but they probably eat them elsewhere, not to mention other animals swallows,swifts, I dont know, but Id hazard a guess they eat them too. If they are in the food chain, they have a reason, if they have oustretched their natural population level, its because we have interfered somehow.
    The mossies here dont transmit malaria (not yet anyway) different type Im sure.

maybe try a more natural remedy, grow lavender or pot/plant/herbs that dissuade them, none up myself yet but intend to grow some lavender in pots near the back door (outside) then train it across the whole back wall. ( im sure its lavender that dissuades certain biting insects)
    Dont have type O, but still got eaten alive in Southern Europe years ago.

They have a purpose, even if we cant see it, dont think the ones here spread disease, besides the ones that do, its the parasite inside them that causes that.

Speaking of disease-transmiting species:

http://www.sci-news.com/biology/article00625.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Nasty critters, just look at the mosquitoes belly-end after sucking this mans blood, not for the faint-hearted....

For a moment I thought that said the mosquitoes bell-end! :eek:

And yet, I clicked it anyway. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

See here also. They are all over Ireland

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81107128

Advertisement