Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS3 Modding possibility??

Options
  • 23-08-2011 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks I have a PS3 with a few years and have used it rarely. I dont even play games on it and just use it as a DVD player.

My question is can I modify it to do anything else that would be of intrest to me. Can you jailbreak them like the Apple stuff.

Cheers.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Moved from PS.

And dude, DVD?...seriously...blu-ray please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

lol F1ngers :D

-Corkie-, If the PS3 firmware is version 3.55 or less then you can modify the PS3 with CFW (cracked firmware) that replaces the official Sony firmware, all you need is a USB stick. CFW allows you to install homebrew applications like emulators, media players and all the other stuff you imagine CFW will let you do ;)

The downside? PSN access isn't possible, your console will get banned if you try. The latest games won't work on your console because they will require newer firmware versions, upgrading to them will kill the jailbreak - there is no way to jailbreak a console with 3.56 or higher Sony firmware. We can't discuss ways around this limitation either, for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

F1ngers wrote: »
    Moved from PS.

OK Whats blu ray.. Did I break a rule???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Moved from PS.

Blu ray is the media PS3 games come on, it can store up to 30GB of data meant to be the successor to DVD

More here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

Having you been living in a cave the last 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Michael_Burke

justryan wrote: »
    Moved from PS.

Blu ray is the media PS3 games come on, it can store up to 30GB of data meant to be the successor to DVD

And don't forget that you're not really supposed to use DVD on ps3
    I read somewhere blu ray is preferred as the laser isn't designed for DVD ..

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure the PS3 Bluray has diodes for playing both DVD and Bluray

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Michael_Burke

I'm pretty sure the PS3 Bluray has diodes for playing both DVD and Bluray
    Your probably right
    I would be up on the specs but like I said I saw that snippet somewhere ( no idea where) and now I only play blu ray on mine just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Blu-Ray drives have two lazers, one for Blu-Ray discs, one for DVD/CD's.

Nope no rock. I got it as a present and i am not into games. I thought I could use it for something else rather than throw it out...

Nope no rock. I got it as a present and i am not into games. I thought I could use it for something else rather than throw it out...

If you don't want it for gaming I'd try sell it on. You can pick up decent blu-ray players/media centres for the money you get from the sale :)

• Advertisement

Or buy a Slim Xbox 360 I have a feeling something is about to kick off in the modding scene...

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭finno

lol F1ngers :D

-Corkie-, If the PS3 firmware is version 3.55 or less then you can modify the PS3 with CFW (cracked firmware) that replaces the official Sony firmware, all you need is a USB stick. CFW allows you to install homebrew applications like emulators, media players and all the other stuff you imagine CFW will let you do ;)

The downside? PSN access isn't possible, your console will get banned if you try. The latest games won't work on your console because they will require newer firmware versions, upgrading to them will kill the jailbreak - there is no way to jailbreak a console with 3.56 or higher Sony firmware. We can't discuss ways around this limitation either, for obvious reasons.

Is there a jailbreak for 3.66 now? I have a PS3 like the OP i don't use it much.

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

finno wrote: »
    Is there a jailbreak for 3.66 now? I have a PS3 like the OP i don't use it much.

No. You'll know when there is, this place will be a hive of talk about it like the xbox 360 glitch that's pretty new :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MalvinMcPot

Or buy a Slim Xbox 360 I have a feeling something is about to kick off in the modding scene...

What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?

Take a look at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056371048

What sort of money are they worth. It has the larger HDD and has one controller. I havent used it 5 times since new..

Advertisement