Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I have a BOI Visa Debit, they're no longer issuing replacement Laser cards and the roll out is underway.

My Laser Card was genuinely damaged (little crack behind the chip) and it got jammed in an ATM. Called into the branch to retrieve the old card, she advised me not to use it in any more ATMs as it will more than likely stick.

She kept it active and issued a new Visa Debit card.

Once you used the new Visa Debit in an ATM for the first time, it automatically cancelled the old Laser.

The BOI Card has a contactless function too! i.e. Visa Paywave.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Solair wrote: »
    I have a BOI Visa Debit, they're no longer issuing replacement Laser cards and the roll out is underway.

My Laser Card was genuinely damaged (little crack behind the chip) and it got jammed in an ATM. Called into the branch to retrieve the old card, she advised me not to use it in any more ATMs as it will more than likely stick.

She kept it active and issued a new Visa Debit card.

Once you used the new Visa Debit in an ATM for the first time, it automatically cancelled the old Laser.

The BOI Card has a contactless function too! i.e. Visa Paywave.

Have you found anywhere to use the 'Contactless' functionality yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thompssn

Wonder if AIB's September estimate means everyone will have them by then, or they'll just start the process? We have a BIG purchase to make overseas. They only do Visa or Paypal. Could possibly hold out until September, but no later. Guess I need to keep looking for other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Are there any current account customers left at AIB? New rip off fee structure and a dysfunctional Laser card to compound the insult. You're paying top dollar for nothing. Vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

I hope AIB start doling them out soon, my Laser card has my head melted shopping online as very few places accept it! I emailed AIB today requesting one ASAP, as they said they would be introducing them from March onwards. Waiting to hear back from them. I don't really wanna switch to another bank, I switched to AIB from BOI about 5 years ago when I got my first job and BOI wouldn't give me a Laser card! :eek: I have a lot of bills that I pay through DD so it would be a real hassle to switch, AIB better hurry up!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Toboldlygo wrote: »
    Have you found anywhere to use the 'Contactless' functionality yet?

There'll be a good bit of it around soon!

http://www.shelflife.ie/article.aspx?id=3011

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

My Laser card is about to expire at the end of this month. Still haven't been issued a replacement yet but won't be getting my hopes up for getting a new Visa Debit card.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They aren't sending them out yet - so you'll be provided with another Laser.

Got an email back from AIB saying that the Visa Debit card roll out definitely won't be starting until September, any Laser cards that expire before that will just be replaced with another Laser card.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Got an email back from AIB saying that the Visa Debit card roll out definitely won't be starting until September, any Laser cards that expire before that will just be replaced with another Laser card.. :(

Sh1t. Why are they always so behind. :(

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Sh1t. Why are they always so behind. :(

Typical AIB :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i wonder how much extra fees we'll be charged by AIB when we use the new card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Good news two friends are trialing Visa debit for AIB for a September launch.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i wonder how much extra fees we'll be charged by AIB when we use the new card

Same charges as Laser for consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

luzon wrote: »
    Were they just sent them at random or? Will everyone get upgraded in sep anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

luzon wrote: »

Great news, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 King Leer

yer man! wrote: »
    Were they just sent them at random or? Will everyone get upgraded in sep anyway?

I doubt anybody will get 'upgraded'. I imagine that only people with Laser cards that are expiring at that point will be issued them. Unless, maybe, you apply to replace your Laser card, though that'll probably cost a pretty penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

King Leer wrote: »
    I doubt anybody will get 'upgraded'. I imagine that only people with Laser cards that are expiring at that point will be issued them. Unless, maybe, you apply to replace your Laser card, though that'll probably cost a pretty penny.

Hey this is an update on this:
    We will be releasing our new AIB Visa Debit card on the 1 September 2012. Your new Visa Debit card will replace your Laser card on your Laser card expiry date. Your Laser will remain active until then.

I got this reply when I emailed them regarding the roll-out of the Visa Debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 King Leer

Debs91 wrote: »
    Hey this is an update on this:

I got this reply when I emailed them regarding the roll-out of the Visa Debit cards.

That's what I thought.. Although I imagine a lot of people will 'lose' their Laser cards around September, if you get my drift...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I just wish they'd remove the "cashback" facility completely, regardless of whether it's Laser or Visa Debit.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought.. Although I imagine a lot of people will 'lose' their Laser cards around September, if you get my drift...

Yes I know what you mean :p still a very long wait :(

I doubt anybody will get 'upgraded'. I imagine that only people with Laser cards that are expiring at that point will be issued them.

hope not, my card doesnt expire till 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I just wish they'd remove the "cashback" facility completely, regardless of whether it's Laser or Visa Debit.

:confused:

hope not, my card doesnt expire till 2015

I agree with you on this my card's expiry date is 2013 so hopefully won't have to wait until next year :(

Debs91 wrote: »
    I agree with you on this my card's expiry date is 2013 so hopefully won't have to wait until next year :(

i sent them an email last night about that, hopefully get an answer back during the week. will update.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Can't you ring aib in October and request a new card. Tell them you lost it, and they might send you out a visa debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Eh... Why??

beertons wrote: »
    Can't you ring aib in October and request a new card. Tell them you lost it, and they might send you out a visa debit?

the card can take up to 12 working days to be sent (had one issued before), and the other would be cancelled, meaning i could not withdraw cash from ATM's till it arrived and it may not be a visa debit

reply to my email:

The new Visa Debit card will be available from 1 September 2012. If you wish to replace your exisitng Maestro card at that time, please contact your local branch who will be able to advise you further. Alternatively, please contact our team on 01-2695022.

• Advertisement

reply to my email:

The new Visa Debit card will be available from 1 September 2012. If you wish to replace your exisitng Maestro card at that time, please contact your local branch who will be able to advise you further. Alternatively, please contact our team on 01-2695022.

Thanks very much for the update :)

Advertisement