Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two days near San Francisco

• 11-01-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm going to be in the SF Bay Area for a business trip across a weekend in early February. Rather than head to the mall for 2 days I'd like to head to the slopes.

Any recommendation on a ski resort nearby? The basic criteria are that it should be easy to get to by car, enough variety for 2 days of intermediate skiing with accomodation close to, or at, the bottom of a lift to avoid wasting time in the mornings.

There is a massive amount of choice with Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar, Squaw Valley that it's difficult to differentiate.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I went to Squaw valley for the weekend when I was in SF a few years ago. We stayed in a hotel which had a bedroom and kitchen/living room right at the bottom of the gondola. Really lovely room and the hotel had an outdoor hot tub, sauna and steam room. Was lovely after a days skiing. I only managed a day though as got ill and had to stay in bed for the 2nd day!

Was easy enough to get to by car and took about 2 hours I think??

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I went to Sugar Bowl a few years ago which is just off I80 and about 2 1/2 hours from San Fran. Good intermediate skiing. There is some accomodation there, though we stayed in Truckee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

I'm going to be in the SF Bay Area for a business trip across a weekend in early February. Rather than head to the mall for 2 days I'd like to head to the slopes.

Any recommendation on a ski resort nearby? The basic criteria are that it should be easy to get to by car, enough variety for 2 days of intermediate skiing with accomodation close to, or at, the bottom of a lift to avoid wasting time in the mornings.

There is a massive amount of choice with Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar, Squaw Valley that it's difficult to differentiate.

Thanks!

I went to Kirkwood a few years back easily doable in a weekend - drove up the Friday night and got in two days on the slopes. Really enjoyed it... We didn't stay there but you can do alright.

Would advise the rental of a SUV - you can get away with snow chains but is a real pain. Plus rentals from SF my not have snowtyres. If you have a car on rental most rental companies will allow you to swap for a SUV at the weekend .

Advertisement