Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Protecting Oak counter top

• 21-09-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi as said we got a new Oak counter top, but we have noticed that it stains very easy. They did use an oil on it but is there anything else I could use that will make it a lot more usable. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oil it once a day for the first week, once a week for the first month, once a month after that... that's the advice we were given when we went for solid oak counter-tops. It still stains pretty easily tbh, it's the nature of the material.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Sleepy wrote: »
    Oil it once a day for the first week, once a week for the first month, once a month after that... that's the advice we were given when we went for solid oak counter-tops. It still stains pretty easily tbh, it's the nature of the material.

Did oiling it that much darken it at all? I was thinking a lacker might be good but I don't want to destroy it. Thanks for the advice

I used a clear oil specifically sold for counter-tops so no it doesn't darken it. It's likely the counter-top would have been oiled before it ever left the kitchen fitters so you're just topping it up really.

Using a laquer or varnish will certainly toughen the surface but it'll leave a gloss look that imho is quite ugly though your taste may vary.

Honestly, after 3 years of solid oak counter-tops I'd concede that those who told me to find the extra cash for quartz worktops were right but I didn't have the budget and didn't want formica so they'll do us for another decade or so with regular oiling and, most likely a few sandings!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Liberon finishing oil. Apply 3 think coats, wiping and letting dry in between. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Diziet wrote: »
    Liberon finishing oil. Apply 3 think coats, wiping and letting dry in between. Great stuff.

I'll give it a try thanks to the advice ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

When oiling I find it best to do a really thick coat (so that there's a visible "oil spill" all over the counter and leave it for a few hours to soak in before wiping off any excess that's left. If you've not done it for a while it can be amazing to see how much oil the countertop can soak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sleepy wrote: »
    When oiling I find it best to do a really thick coat (so that there's a visible "oil spill" all over the counter and leave it for a few hours to soak in before wiping off any excess that's left. If you've not done it for a while it can be amazing to see how much oil the countertop can soak up.
    Good advice, plus you'll find that some parts of the wood will soak up the oil to a different degree to the rest, so if you put it on too thinly, some parts will get enough and others will not so you'll end up with dry patches.

Advertisement