Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacment for Cessna 172

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

thomil wrote: »
    Currently on the ground in Reykjavik in Iceland, probably staying there overnight. Can they manage Reykjavik to Baldonnel on a single tank or will they have to make a refuelling stop in the Faroe Islands?

They can indeed. Today's leg from Canada to Iceland is about 50% longer than the final leg to Dublin. Flight time about 4 hours weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Already back in the air. They left 50 minutes ago and are off the south east coast of Iceland. Destination is listed as N/A, so no estimated arrival time. But based off Labre34's estimate of a flight time of 4 hours, they should be here by mid-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Hope we get a video of their arrival at Baldonnel. They look the biz!

Hmmmm. I wonder if they could squeeze onto the runways on the Aran Islands? Would be a great boost to ATCP if they were available in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Off the west coast of Scotland, should in B/D in about an hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

roundymac wrote: »
    Off the west coast of Scotland, should in B/D in about an hour or so.

Was just sent this, credit to whoever took the photo.

Superb shot Bilko. Cracking trio of aircraft. Look the dog's boll##ks! Just the ticket for tha AC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How old are these 3 and what will their duties be?
    Interesting with the propeller set up is this still a thing or just older aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

How old are these 3 and what will their duties be?
    Interesting with the propeller set up is this still a thing or just older aircraft?

They're 2 years old, built for the air corps by Pilatus. They were flown to Denver Colorado for fit out and are now being delivered.

Their main role is intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (this role is the reason they were in the US for fit out), but they have the ability to also carry 9 passengers or 2 stretchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

source wrote: »
    They're 2 years old, built for the air corps by Pilatus. They were flown to Denver Colorado for fit out and are now being delivered.

Their main role is intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (this role is the reason they were in the US for fit out), but they have the ability to also carry 9 passengers or 2 stretchers.

Cheers, very informative.
    Wasn't aware they were getting them.

Will they be used here or abroad by the Irish defence forces?

Another terrific set of photos. Thanks for posting the link. Anybody capture them on video at all? Guess they'll be adding the roundels etc in a bit. Tip top acquisition. Good work wringing the funding out of the DOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭sparky42

Cheers, very informative.
    Wasn't aware they were getting them.

Will they be used here or abroad by the Irish defence forces?

They are to replace the old Cessna's, currently there's no plans for foreign deployments (given the usual issues) but Coveney since becoming Minister has expressed hope that the AC will be deployed at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Given their role primarily as ISTAR I would suggest they will be overseas.

Psychlops wrote: »
    Given their role primarily as ISTAR I would suggest they will be overseas.
    They would be great for that, but I doubt the AC could generate the numbers right now.

The way things are going in recent days they'll be chasing smugglers in the border area.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The way things are going in recent days they'll be chasing smugglers in the border area.

Or double jobbing dealing with all the potential fishing disputes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Who will crew the back of the PC12's. I presume personal will get promoted to fill the vacancies and then the air corps will just have to run a campaign for new enlisted personal to fill any gaps from promotions,?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Who will crew the back of the PC12's. I presume personal will get promoted to fill the vacancies and then the air corps will just have to run a campaign for new enlisted personal to fill any gaps from promotions,?

You mean as spotters/technicians? There would already by enlisted personnel trained up and working on the CASAs, helicopters etc. I imagine when more of those are needed there would be the usual sort of selection carried out among the AC and Army.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You mean as spotters/technicians? There would already by enlisted personnel trained up and working on the CASAs, helicopters etc. I imagine when more of those are needed there would be the usual sort of selection carried out among the AC and Army.

I was just wondering would it be hard to get the crews with all the issues.

• Advertisement

I seen yesterday the utility pc12 heading to the continent with tests. We could regret Maurice's penny pinching yet turning down the second utility aircraft

roadmaster wrote: »
    I seen yesterday the utility pc12 heading to the continent with tests. We could regret Maurice's penny pinching yet turning down the second utility aircraft

Most likely, would have been dead handy having a second trash haulier version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

they did it before, when they rejected keeping the white Casa, evn though it was proving immensely useful.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    they did it before, when they rejected keeping the white Casa, evn though it was proving immensely useful.
    Yep, penny wise, pound foolish, I'm sure the AC and Army would have liked to have a cargo 235 at the very least.

When maritime operations started with the Casas, initial mission crew were drawn from the ranks of local ATC and Signals, but that soon faded to open competition from all ranks for seats. People have been drawn from other parts of the Air Corps as well as the wider DF.

When maritime operations started with the Casas, initial mission crew were drawn from the ranks of local ATC and Signals, but that soon faded to open competition from all ranks for seats. People have been drawn from other parts of the Air Corps as well as the wider DF.

Is there much interest within the DF of roles such as radar operators in the back of casas and the now PC12s?

Back when I served, which is a while ago now, all such jobs were open to all comers and were notified to all units of the DF via Routine Orders, posted up on every notice board, so theoretically, it was open season. In reality, the herd was soon thinned by educational qualifications and technical experience. If you rocked up, fresh from basic training, you were wasting your time. It sounded glamourous but people soon found that flying sideways in a Casa, for six hours over the Atlantic, often at low level, was a bit of a grind. Some people loved it and took to it like a duck to water;others hated it and got out of it as soon as they could. Originally, if you got the operators' course,you had to commit to a year in the seat. Fellas were known to jack it as soon as their commitment had expired. It's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

What sort of equipment is fitted to the PC12's for the ISTAR role?

Look on the Pilatus website. Do some reading on general ISTAR equipment such as cameras, infra-red and night vision equipment. that kind of stuff is widely in the public domain and is used worldwide.

• Advertisement

Back when I served, which is a while ago now, all such jobs were open to all comers and were notified to all units of the DF via Routine Orders, posted up on every notice board, so theoretically, it was open season. In reality, the herd was soon thinned by educational qualifications and technical experience. If you rocked up, fresh from basic training, you were wasting your time. It sounded glamourous but people soon found that flying sideways in a Casa, for six hours over the Atlantic, often at low level, was a bit of a grind. Some people loved it and took to it like a duck to water;others hated it and got out of it as soon as they could. Originally, if you got the operators' course,you had to commit to a year in the seat. Fellas were known to jack it as soon as their commitment had expired. It's not for everyone.

At least in the PC12 they will be sitting forward looking

Advertisement