Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are the peacocks a bit past it for that sort of mission , they're the fastest and originally operated in warmer waters ?
    If they sent the air-corp overseas what would they likely be doing ? Not a lot of helicopters to bring I suppose the new p12 s would be handy for observation and light transport , or there could finally be a decent role for a few of the PC 9s ...

No, the P40s don't have the environmental control systems to operate in the tropics these days, plus they are a littoral patrol ship, we could be talking about patrols into deep blue water and the Indian ocean isn't always benevolent. They also don't have the additional storage capacity and flexibility of accommodation to equip a distant deployment.

I imagine if the Air Corps were to be deployed abroad, with aircraft, it'd be for background logistics, the future PC12s or 295s. I can't see any AC deployment, other than some personnel joining Army deployments, for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭sparky42

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, the P40s don't have the environmental control systems to operate in the tropics these days, plus they are a littoral patrol ship, we could be talking about patrols into deep blue water and the Indian ocean isn't always benevolent. They also don't have the additional storage capacity and flexibility of accommodation to equip a distant deployment.

I imagine if the Air Corps were to be deployed abroad, with aircraft, it'd be for background logistics, the future PC12s or 295s. I can't see any AC deployment, other than some personnel joining Army deployments, for a long time yet.

Given the article is pretty clear that he's talking about a future wish for the NS let alone the AC yeah it would be when future capabilities are on stream. Right now I can't think of much we could deploy with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭roadmaster

A short Video on the Navy from Independent.ie

Over the last few years they seam to be getting a lot of postive attention and are darlings of the three branches in the media.

https://m.independent.ie/videos/paul-williams-on-the-le-george-bernard-shaw-ship-39450891.html

"This is Paul Williams, peabody award nominated crime and security correspondent extraordinaire, aboard the guided missile cruiser George Bernard Shaw, in the thick of the action on the front line of the war against the commies, for the Irish Independent in north Biscay."

Its just not him the Examiner has Navy stories all the time while not many about the other two services. About the warship I know its not technically true but the navy while overseas identity themselves as Irish Warship when on patrol

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    Its just not him the Examiner has Navy stories all the time while not many about the other two services. About the warship I know its not technically true but the navy while overseas identity themselves as Irish Warship when on patrol

I know that, but Williams always injects a strong sense of exaggerated bullsh1t into anything he does. You can take the man out of the Sunday World etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

He shouldnt have went out there (Williams) and Ryan Tubridy shouldnt have been on Le Ciara.

We are in a pandemic, Covid 19 is still a threat to human life.

mikeym wrote: »
    He shouldnt have went out there (Williams) and Ryan Tubridy shouldnt have been on Le Ciara.

We are in a pandemic, Covid 19 is still a threat to human life.

Tubridy paid a visit when in Port with a mask and I'm certain all hand hygiene protocols in place and you would assume both the Navy and the Indo insisted on testing and isolation as appropriate for Williams and anyone that accompanied him in order to make the trip safe for all. The DF should be getting as much coverage as possible in these tough times to demonstrate their contribution. Nobody is more aware of protection protocols than the DF.

I see that the Appledore shipyard is re-opening. Bought out by the same outfit who bought Harland and Wolf. Time to get an order in for that new ship that is mooted!

• Advertisement

I see that the Appledore shipyard is re-opening. Bought out by the same outfit who bought Harland and Wolf. Time to get an order in for that new ship that is mooted!

Appledore had to do the fit out's in the mud for ships that potentially will be half the size of the EPV, and that's before you get into the issues that the yard hasn't done anything since P64.

Would you like them to make it up as they go along?

In all likelihood, even if the EPV got the go ahead for tenders tomorrow, it hasn't been specified and when it is, it will be based on some sort of existing multi-role or cargo / auxiliary type already on the market. In any case, it would be too big for Appledore to build and the Harland and Wolff interests will be busy with Type 31 building for the next 5 years.

Now that I think of it, what does everyone think of the chances of UK firms ever getting defence contracts from Ireland again if Brexit goes badly?

Would you like them to make it up as they go along?

In all likelihood, even if the EPV got the go ahead for tenders tomorrow, it hasn't been specified and when it is, it will be based on some sort of existing multi-role or cargo / auxiliary type already on the market. In any case, it would be too big for Appledore to build and the Harland and Wolff interests will be busy with Type 31 building for the next 5 years.

Now that I think of it, what does everyone think of the chances of UK firms ever getting defence contracts from Ireland again if Brexit goes badly?

I'd agree that Appledore may be too small, though they did manage the Scott, which is 13K tons and 131m's long (how is another question): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Scott_(H131)

AS for H&W, has it been confirmed that they will actually be used and to what extent for the 31's?

As to your point regarding Brexit, it might well be in our interests to start looking at building a new relationship with an EU dockyard, and there are plenty that could sustain our needs.

The navy seams to be in serious trouble at the moment

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40047446.html

It appears coveney is doing something about the retention problem. Will this be enough?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40066464.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I've heard a few radio ads recently specifically for naval service recruits too.

Well if a second wave of thon plague puts the economy fully down the pisser, recruitment and retention may not be a problem.

Well if a second wave of thon plague puts the economy fully down the pisser, recruitment and retention may not be a problem.

Apart from the fact that if the economy is down the pisser, then the Budget is ****ed, and we know that means the DF budget gets utterly ****ed...

The Government must think the FOCN has magical powers for getting crews together. This is a quote from the Irish Times.

It is understood Naval Service Flag Officer, Commodore Michael Malone, has received an order from the Government that the number of available ships must not, under any circumstances, drop any further.

The full article is here

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/concern-as-staff-shortages-threaten-naval-service-missions-at-sea-1.4392719

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Too little too late Fine Gael.

They should have done more for the navy years ago.

Theres no point in ranting because everyone knows how bad the place is.

• Advertisement

It's a good job Malone came from the engineering branch, cos he has some chance at least of figuring out how to install a Wallace and Gromit type rig on the bridges of the PVs so they can be run off a Nintendo controller.

What an absolute joke the DoD are.

Time to pay the lads a better wage and get a few more heavyweight ships now that Boris has announced a big influx of money into the RN. We could be fightin a Cod War post Brexit !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

The way things are they will have to park the rest of the fleet just to crew it

roadmaster wrote: »
    The way things are they will have to park the rest of the fleet just to crew it

Hopefully they will get a handle on that by 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Crazy, it smaller fishery patrol vessels similar to the UK, with half the crew ours require is what we should be looking at, borrowing hundreds of millions to boost someone's ego.

Crazy, it smaller fishery patrol vessels similar to the UK, with half the crew ours require is what we should be looking at, borrowing hundreds of millions to boost someone's ego.

No. The UK Rivers are already more capable for roughly the same tonnage, our OPV's have to be a minimum tonnage for West Coast operations, and we already have 6 OPV's capable of year round service (more than the UK's Rivers) with as small a crew as possible. The MRV/EPV is designed for out of area operations and has been that way since it was first floated coming up on 20 years ago.

Edit: I say 6 OPV's as the Peacocks need replacing as well.

And spare me the "borrowing millions" BS, it's still going to be an accounting error compared to the major spending departments.

Dohvolle wrote: »

Not really, I mean other than a firm number on what they are willing to spend (which I think is up from previous suggestions of 150 million), it's still "in planning", I'll only think we'll see movement when we see it going out to tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Thats a pretty rubbish article, look at the c295s, "in addition, the Department of Defence is also planning to purchase new C295 aircraft for the Air Corps.

The current CASAs can fly for nine hours, with a range of 1,500 nautical miles. The new aircraft will have a maximum of 12-hour flight capability and a 2,000 nautical mile range."

Planes are being built.

• Advertisement

Theirs actually have larger crews than ours, they just don't all go to sea together.

Advertisement