Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

That's bullcrap on N26's side.

It absolutely is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That's bullcrap on N26's side.

Well as a customer you have accepted the T&C which call out that an investigation request is charged 15€ when the customer initiates the investigation. You are also liable for any third-party fees from other banks that provide N26 with an answer to your inquiry.

It might be a rip-off but at least it's in their T&C and the pricelist.

I made 2 large transfers from my n26 bank totalling €10k to a car dealership, one on wednesday and one on thursday, neither have arrived into the car dealerships bank account yet.

Normally my n26 transfers only take a few hours.

Im kinda starting to panic

Assuming you provided the correct IBAN than the payments should have been credited to the dealership's accounts by now, even if they are using an Irish Bank.

Now if both payments were together under 12.500€ than there is no requirement to report them to the Bundesbank and even if you were over that amount the payment only needs to be reported within 7 days it should not stop the payment.

If N26 had a problem with the payment (fraud protection or suspicion that you are engaging in illegal or suspicious behavior) they would not have executed the transfers and informed you accordingly. So, if the transfers show as processed and your available and consolidated balance shows the amounts gone, then there most likely is a problem at the receiver's end.

It could be that the receiving bank has flagged the transfer for review driven by for example the fact that you did split it into two transactions.

Or it might be that the dealership has the funds, but the reference is missing so they don't know it's yours.

But first point is to triple check that you have the right IBAN, then get written confirmation from the dealership that they did not receive the money and then query it with N26.

You are going to have to pay the 15€ fee but if the problem came down to them (i.e. they messed the transfer up) than the fee will not be charged.

If you messed up (wrong IBAN) or the receiver messed up than the fee is yours to pay.

Assuming you provided the correct IBAN than the payments should have been credited to the dealership's accounts by now, even if they are using an Irish Bank.

Now if both payments were together under 12.500€ than there is no requirement to report them to the Bundesbank and even if you were over that amount the payment only needs to be reported within 7 days it should not stop the payment.

If N26 had a problem with the payment (fraud protection or suspicion that you are engaging in illegal or suspicious behavior) they would not have executed the transfers and informed you accordingly. So, if the transfers show as processed and your available and consolidated balance shows the amounts gone, then there most likely is a problem at the receiver's end.

It could be that the receiving bank has flagged the transfer for review driven by for example the fact that you did split it into two transactions.

Or it might be that the dealership has the funds, but the reference is missing so they don't know it's yours.

But first point is to triple check that you have the right IBAN, then get written confirmation from the dealership that they did not receive the money and then query it with N26.

You are going to have to pay the 15€ fee but if the problem came down to them (i.e. they messed the transfer up) than the fee will not be charged.

If you messed up (wrong IBAN) or the receiver messed up than the fee is yours to pay.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

The IBAN has been triple checked and is correct.

I just spoke to the dealer.

When i bought the car, he gave me the IBAN details and told me to send payment to "xxx autos"

But when i called and asked him what is the exact name on his business account, he told me it is "ABC motors T/A xxx autos"

So maybe the payment never arrived because of this?

But when i called and asked him what is the exact name on his business account, he told me it is "ABC motors T/A xxx autos"

So maybe the payment never arrived because of this?

That would depend on the country of the bank account and their local bank.

Some countries have an online check to see if beneficiary name and IBAN match (Netherlands for example) but in most cases it's the IBAN which is what is defining it.

You cannot be the only one that uses his T/A only so I would assume his bank will accept payments in the T/A name too.

And even if his bank would refuse the credit it should be back into your account by now.

As the money is gone out of your account you cannot recall it now, so an investigation is the only way out of this.

But I am more suspicious of the dealer here than N26. Don't get me wrong N26 is a bunch of cowboys but to mess up two transfers to the same receiver is strange.

It will not take N26 that long to get you answer (again depending in which country the receiver is).

I hope this gets sorted out for you.

• Advertisement

That would depend on the country of the bank account and their local bank.

Some countries have an online check to see if beneficiary name and IBAN match (Netherlands for example) but in most cases it's the IBAN which is what is defining it.

You cannot be the only one that uses his T/A only so I would assume his bank will accept payments in the T/A name too.

And even if his bank would refuse the credit it should be back into your account by now.

As the money is gone out of your account you cannot recall it now, so an investigation is the only way out of this.

But I am more suspicious of the dealer here than N26. Don't get me wrong N26 is a bunch of cowboys but to mess up two transfers to the same receiver is strange.

It will not take N26 that long to get you answer (again depending in which country the receiver is).

I hope this gets sorted out for you.

Just had a text off the dealer 2 mins ago.

He received the 1st transfer, phewww

Took a long time to arrive.

Thanks for your replies mate

You are a credit to this forum

Just had a text off the dealer 2 mins ago.

He received the 1st transfer, phewww

Took a long time to arrive.

Thanks for your replies mate

You are a credit to this forum

I'm glad it got sorted, the dealer might want to consider swapping to a different bank because them taking days to credit a SEPA transfer is against the law.

Hope the second payment than comes tomorrow.

Enjoy your new car.

I'm glad it got sorted, the dealer might want to consider swapping to a different bank because them taking days to credit a SEPA transfer is against the law.

Hope the second payment than comes tomorrow.

Enjoy your new car.

Thanks, always appreciate your input

The dealers bank is BOI

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can someone please tell me if I can withdraw €2000 out of my n26 account at a boi ATM?
    If not what is the limit?

blade1 wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me if I can withdraw €2000 out of my n26 account at a boi ATM?

If you have not defined other limits in the app than you can withdraw up to 2500€ daily in cash.

Most ATMs will not allow you to do this in one go, so you will need to make more than one transaction.

Most ATM do 700 limit but there are in branch ATMs that do as far as I remember up to 1500€.

Check your ATM limits in the app before you go and you should be fine but will need multiple transactions.

Also the same ATM might deny you multiple transactions so you might need to visit more than one.

However withdrawing and carrying that much cash is a risk, better see if you can not use other mechanisms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

It was a few years ago, but I took €2,500 from an Ulster Bank ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I’m not defending Irish banks here (not a fan of them either), but to be fair blaming the delay on the recipients bank with certainty is jumping gun here.

It could also be that N26’s automated fraud detection system took offence with 2 unusually large transfers to the same IBAN in a short timeframe and flagged those for some kind of manual review on their end before the credit transfer is actually sent to the receiver bank.

Not with N26, but that exact scenario happened to me with another bank before whereby the transfer was confirmed by my bank’s App and the money was gone from my account, but it turned out later that the it was on hold for validation by their fraud prevention team and it took a few additional days to arrive.

If you have not defined other limits in the app than you can withdraw up to 2500€ daily in cash.

Most ATMs will not allow you to do this in one go, so you will need to make more than one transaction.

Most ATM do 700 limit but there are in branch ATMs that do as far as I remember up to 1500€.

Check your ATM limits in the app before you go and you should be fine but will need multiple transactions.

Also the same ATM might deny you multiple transactions so you might need to visit more than one.

However withdrawing and carrying that much cash is a risk, better see if you can not use other mechanisms.
    bennyx_o wrote: »
    It was a few years ago, but I took €2,500 from an Ulster Bank ATM

Thanks lads, the ATM inside the bank paid out 2k in the one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’m not defending Irish banks here (not a fan of them either), but to be fair blaming the delay on the recipients bank with certainty is jumping gun here.

It could also be that N26’s automated fraud detection system took offence with 2 unusually large transfers to the same IBAN in a short timeframe and flagged those for some kind of manual review on their end before the credit transfer is actually sent to the receiver bank.

Not with N26, but that exact scenario happened to me with another bank before whereby the transfer was confirmed by my bank’s App and the money was gone from my account, but it turned out later that the it was on hold for validation by their fraud prevention team and it took a few additional days to arrive.

Im sure BOI and N26 systems seem to be polar opposites, A friend sent me money from his BOI account say on wednesday and i didn't get it in my account until tuesday after, Shocking slow.....Must be the same the other way from n26 to BOI.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I’m not defending Irish banks here (not a fan of them either)...

If the OP looks at his account statement he will see the booking and value date. Unless there is a significant gap between them than N26 did execute the transfer.

BOI is known to have issues with international transfers and very strict cut off time for transfers both inbound and outbound.

Even if there was a manual review by N26 the time it took is still way to long for it to reach the receiver.

Thanks lads, the ATM inside the bank paid out 2k in the one go.

Should I ever need that amount of cash that is handy to know. Thanks

Should I ever need that amount of cash that is handy to know. Thanks

Thank you, as I assumed the limit was 700.
    And now while I think of it, I must put back down my card limit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Not sure how new this but the National Lottery app now says it accepts N26 and Revolut cards for topups.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Not sure how new this but the National Lottery app now says it accepts N26 and Revolut cards for topups.

About time. I logged a complaint with them last October after they accepted my change over to using N26 as my payment card. The website then refused to allow me to use the card to top up my account. This, I was later informed was because the N26 card was not issued by an Irish financial institution as required under section 2(a)(i)(iv) of our Terms and Conditions (which would have been accepted upon registration).

This was compounded by the fact that they only allow changes to the payment card once per month, leaving my lottery account unusable for the duration. And I haven't used it since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kinda want my bank to be a bank and not be busy trying to sell me Adidas...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

ED E wrote: »
    Kinda want my bank to be a bank and not be busy trying to sell me Adidas...

Ignore it then, it's a benefit for those who want it.

How's Google pay using phone at terminals going for everyone else?
    Mine says card type not supported most times.
    Google said get onto N26 to delete old tokens and remove card and add again on Google pay.
    Done that but still very hit and miss.

Also, could someone tell me if someone buys something off me using PayPal, can it then transfer into my N26 account?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Also, could someone tell me if someone buys something off me using PayPal, can it then transfer into my N26 account?

I have N26 set as my bank account in Paypal, so my withdrawals are sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Google said get onto N26 to delete old tokens and remove card and add again on Google pay.

Google pay at the POS works perfectly for me. Never had an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Someone on here a good while ago was having issues with Google Pay and IIRC it turned out to be an issue with their card itself. Can't search too well on mobile but will look later when I'm home

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Someone on here a good while ago was having issues with Google Pay and IIRC it turned out to be an issue with their card itself. Can't search too well on mobile but will look later when I'm home

Card is working fine though.
    That's what I've had to use instead of phone when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

What phone is it? Do you have it rooted or non stock in any way? Do you use any other cards (that maybe set as default)?

And for PayPal, yes - just add your IBAN details as a bank in PayPal. - then withdraw the funds. I do it regularly, takes 1 day to arrive.

advertsfox wrote: »
    What phone is it? Do you have it rooted or non stock in any way? Do you use any other cards (that maybe set as default)?

And for PayPal, yes - just add your IBAN details as a bank in PayPal. - then withdraw the funds. I do it regularly, takes 1 day to arrive.

Phone is a OnePlus 6t and stock ROM.
    It worked today but I got caught in Aldi the other day when I had no wallet on my.
    Has also failed in Tesco's,Lidl and a few smaller shops.

Yeah, sorted the PayPal.
    Just thought there might be a problem when it's not a physical bank and non Irish.
    If only I could get my wages paid in to n26 I'd be done with boi for good.
    Unfortunately that's a non runner for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Phone is a OnePlus 6t and stock ROM.
    It worked today but I got caught in Aldi the other day when I had no wallet on my.
    Has also failed in Tesco's,Lidl and a few smaller shops.

Yeah, sorted the PayPal.
    Just thought there might be a problem when it's not a physical bank and non Irish.
    If only I could get my wages paid in to n26 I'd be done with boi for good.
    Unfortunately that's a non runner for the foreseeable future.
    I'd start with a wipe data / cache for:

- Google Play Services
    - Google Play Store
    - Google Pay
    - Download Manager

(You will have to resign in for Google Backup).

Then from the N26 app itself, add / sync the card from there (making sure you don't have duplicate entries for your N26 stored already in your Google wallet).

SEPA payments should be accepted everywhere in Europe, PayPal of course accepts all banks but doesn't have instant SEPA yet. All companies not paying into it are breaking the law and it's IBAN discrimination.

https://www.centralbank.ie/consumer-hub/explainers/what-is-iban-discrimination-and-what-can-i-do-about-it

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »
    I'd start with a wipe data / cache for:

- Google Play Services
    - Google Play Store
    - Google Pay
    - Download Manager

(You will have to resign in for Google Backup).

Then from the N26 app itself, add / sync the card from there (making sure you don't have duplicate entries for your N26 stored already in your Google wallet).

SEPA payments should be accepted everywhere in Europe, PayPal of course accepts all banks but doesn't have instant SEPA yet. All companies not paying into it are breaking the law and it's IBAN discrimination.

https://www.centralbank.ie/consumer-hub/explainers/what-is-iban-discrimination-and-what-can-i-do-about-it

I'll try that that so thanks.

Re: wages.
    There is nothing they can do about it.
    Pay system is 20 years and they are hoping to get money to update the system in 2 years at the very earliest and if they are lucky.
    There's around 8000 on the payroll so it's physically impossible to do it with the current system.

Advertisement