Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

• 15-04-2014 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Whilst they're not far away from retirement anyway, it'd be sad if it was to end this way. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

The rumours about Malcolm's health have been circulating for months. I hope it's not true but they aren't going away ... maybe a case of no smoke without fire :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well it would be a pity but maybe a proper end esp in the circumstances rather than fading away would be the best thing.

Any excuse for a song - my own AC/DC favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Strange seeing a story about AC/DC prominently on the Irish Times and Indo websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Changed times, all right.

These rumours have been doing the rounds for a long time, there was talk 12-18 months ago about one of the band and unspecified health problems meaning that everything was on hold indefinitely. This would be a sad way to finish it.

On the other hand, one report mentioned that they had booked time in a Canadian studio from the beginning of next month, so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Strange seeing a story about AC/DC prominently on the Irish Times and Indo websites.

Could this reflect the musical tastes of the editorial or senior staff?

As in, this would be big music news to anyone 30+, and certainly anyone 40+?

I'm surprised they are still going to be honest, always thought they were older than they actually are.

They have done it all, and have nothing to prove. I wouldn't see it as a sad way to end if true.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'll wait for an official announcement before I get excited about it, hope there is one last tour left in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭briany

At least I can always say I got to see the greatest rock 'n' roll band, of all time, and my personal favourite, perform live. I'd heard Brian say that one of the members was having health issues, so I suppose this is what he was referring to. It's not a sad note for the band, really. Sad would be attempting to carry on with some other rhythm guitarist or something, which couldn't be done being that Malcolm's the heart and soul of the whole operation. Very sad for Malcolm personally though, and those close to him. I should certainly hope that he makes at least enough of a recovery to enjoy, or continue enjoying, the fruits of his labour. If the rumours are overblown (which I get the feeling somehow they're not) then they can concentrate on music when the time is right.

They're handling the whole situation just right, too. Nothing as such coming from camp AC/DC itself. You have to say, for a band that's had a giant inflatable woman as part of it's act for something like 25 years, they actually behave real classy and dignified in their offstage time. It's one of the things that makes them real hard to dislike, even if you're not a fan, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

ac/dc are finished apparently,
    Malcolm Young has had a stroke,
    press conference tomorrow,
    for f**k sake
    Gutted doesn't come close

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

one band i wont have the chance to see live now and who will never headline slane

Damn it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I hope AC/DC calling it a day are just rumours, I want to see them live at least once before they do eventually pack it in and ride off into the sunset after a marvellous 40 year career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A twist in the tale perhaps? Make of it what you will

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6053874/acdc-not-quitting-retirement-rumors

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Phil Rudd, Cliff Williams, Simon Wright, Chris Slade, Mark Evans & Dave Evans.

I SALUTE YOU SIRS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Brian Johnson brought up health problems with one of the band quite some time ago. If the band's reps are not denying the rumours straight up, I'd suspect there's something to the speculation.

If it's true, it's a sad day for Malcolm and the band. They've been part of the musical landscape of my life since I was a teenager, seeing them first on Rock goes to College, getting my hands on their late 70s releases, and seeing them live at the Olympic Ballroom. All their albums have pretty much added at least a couple more classics to their repertoire. It's hard to imagine the rock world without their compositions and performances. The end of an era for true pros and genuine musicians.

I hope it ain't true. But on this occasion I fear for the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Well I'd imagine if that is true about a conference having been scheduled for tomorrow (anybody have a link for that?) then it's indeed probably true.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Penfailed

mike65 wrote: »
    Well it would be a pity but maybe a proper end esp in the circumstances rather than fading away would be the best thing.

...but they weren't going to fade away. They were meant to be going into the studio to record another album and then play a 40-date worldwide tour.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, The Fratellis, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, Electric Picnic, Vantastival, The Cure, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '23 - Stiff Little Fingers, The Wood Burning Savages, Bob Log III, David Kitt, Ludovico Einaudi, DADDY LONG LEGS, The Prodigy, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, The Murder Capital, PJ Harvey, The Bonnevilles (w/Amy Montgomery, Rews, New Pagans), The Undertones (w/Buzzcocks), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I saw them five times in the 80's. The first being on the 'For Those' tour in 82.

Those cannons are still the loudest things I have ever heard (and I've survived Motorhead a couple of times).

Superb band live and the intro to 'For Those' takes me straight back to when I was eleven. My most nostalgic record.

Back in Black out sold Prince, Springsteen, Guns n Posers, Dire Straits, Whitney Houston and Phil Collins in the 80's. Only Thriller was bigger. Thats how popular they were then.

I'm going down to Sin City. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I don't know which news report to rely on:mad:

this one, with a time of its updating as 8 hours ago, according to the google search result, suggests the rumours are exaggerated

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6053874/acdc-not-quitting-retirement-rumors

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Sad news if true. :(

From the telegraph:

The band, which has sold more than 200 million albums, reportedly had made a “pact” that it would not continue if a member was forced to leave

Doesn't really make sense given the amount of lineup changes over the years. Maybe it's something between Angus and Malcolm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

That's it, I'm not reading any more f*£$^ng speculation on this. If you want me, I'll be in my happy place (RDS Simmonscourt, October 23rd 1982).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

blastman wrote: »
    That's it, I'm not reading any more f*£$^ng speculation on this. If you want me, I'll be in my happy place (RDS Simmonscourt, October 23rd 1982).

Same as, Estadio Olimpico 7th June 2009, greatest....night.....ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Brian Johnson just issued a statement saying they aren't retiring and are recording soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ahh here I haven't time for this, until tickets are on sale I'm not reading another one of these non-articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

here is a more up to date item from the Telegraph and an item on that report on Billboard.com.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10769783/ACDC-We-are-not-retiring.html

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6055502/acdc-brian-johnson-denies-theyre-quitting-sick-member

Some other newspapers' websites are carrying articles today. These items are based on the earlier reports, which as far as I know have not been confirmed.

"After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music."

-- Statement on the official AC/DC facebook page, posted about an hour ago.

The same statement is up on acdc.com as well

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

blastman wrote: »

Went both nights and Y&T supporting them ! Did not get better !:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If Malcolm doesn't get well enough to play again, I could see them doing a 'farewell' tour with their nephew, I know they don't need the money, they probably made enough money off their last tour last them all 20-30 years, but it would be closure for most fans.
    Also I know Led Zeppelin only did a once off but they could have continued cos Jason Bonham is every bit as good a drummer as his father, also saw Springsteen last year and Jake Clemons did a great job filling in for his uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If this 40 date farewell tour comes off and we're lucky enough to get them here at Slane i'll definitely go.

I've said many many times that i'd never EVER go to Slane for a gig, but if it was DC i'd have to go against that

Advertisement