Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese atrocities = silence?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

victor8600 wrote: »
    Here is the Serenity Prayer:

Can you do anything to change Chinese policies?
    I'm sure I heard that in a 50 cent rap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump is the President of the country were CNN lives. They are a news outlet. I'd expect as much. FYI: Trump is bad.
    Most US news is 99.9% home based. I remember watching the news in Chicago many years ago and the lad said, 'Now for the news in the rest of the world', turns out he meant other states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

There’s too much talk about trans etc. Not enough about US imperialism. The Chinese are a grand group of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

beejee wrote: »
    Why is there barely a peep about the insane stuff the Chinese are up to?

Less awareness. The Chinese are better at censoring the press media and internet than Russia is. MUCH BETTER.

Images are not getting out as much. News is not getting out as much.

The Chinese themselves have no idea. And if they share such info they draw the attention from the authorities to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Nermal wrote: »
    They're not killing them, just 're-educating' them.

They've seen what has happened in Europe and don't want it happening to them.

Understandable.

I had the pleasure of visiting Ürümqi in 2012 and while underdeveloped compared to a lot of China it was interesting and a lovely experience. The Uighur are warm, friendly and welcoming people with awesome food. I can honestly say I enjoyed my time there and it felt nothing like the rest of China.

I doubt I'd get a visa to go now considering its becoming increasingly unstable and Tibet was totally off the cards due to elections when I was there.

Absolute disgrace what's happening to that ethnic group and it has nothing to do with whatever that ham fisted point you were trying to make.

• Advertisement

There’s another type of npc, the Americanised right winger who hasn’t an original thought in his head.

Case in point - CNN. Watched by me, never. Although I’m sure it’s down the channel list somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

But they have AliExpress.

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Its become very unpopular to point to other cultures and say they are wrong about something. We're only allowed to complain about stuff we do.

Nonsense, start a thread titled "the weather in Israel is sunny today" and watch 80 pages of venom and vitriol unfurl before your very eyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

I think that while we should not applaud China for its repressive policies, we should not stop doing business with them or sanction them. We should encourage more Chinese students to study in the EU and let them decide what society they want for themselves. Countries and governments change, and pretty fast in historical terms.

Only 30 years ago the world was vastly different. If we just push steadily in the direction of more freedom and tolerance, in another 30 years we may achieve better results than if we try to force anything right now. Imagine if you tried to make USSR "free" and "democratic" by force in 1986. There would had been a huge pushback which would probably kept USSR alive for much longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Let's have a big protest if a Chinese leader ever visits here, just like the Trump protests.....

Theres been a lot of activity over the last week with envoys from China. I know of a diary farm that had been visited and south Dublin county council were involved in hosting an event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

victor8600 wrote: »
    I think that while we should not applaud China for its repressive policies, we should not stop doing business with them or sanction them. We should encourage more Chinese students to study in the EU and let them decide what society they want for themselves. Countries and governments change, and pretty fast in historical terms.

Only 30 years ago the world was vastly different. If we just push steadily in the direction of more freedom and tolerance, in another 30 years we may achieve better results than if we try to force anything right now. Imagine if you tried to make USSR "free" and "democratic" by force in 1986. There would had been a huge pushback which would probably kept USSR alive for much longer.

That's a fantastically bad idea.

There was some uproar in Canada (?) not so long ago, about Chinese students reporting back to china on the "inappropriate behaviour" of other students.

Theres another scandal about vast numbers of Chinese cheating their way into American colleges, spys left right and center keeping an eye on "things"

These people do not care about anything other than improving China for Chinese people.

While they prosper from us and enact atrocities left right and center with a view to spreading worldwide and setting up colonies, we can get them to change by allowing them to do what they want and let them move here even more easily? That's a bold strategy there! :P

China is like the USSR, but actually very successful. That's one hell of a combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Peoples priorities are fecked, is what im saying. Might as well be talking to the moon I suppose :P

Peoples priorities are different to yours..... welcome to the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It shows how racist the Left really are deep down.

They don't care about non whites in Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

archer22 wrote: »
    Oh what happened?...some Chinese girl turn her nose up at you :)

Defending Iran first, now China. Russia next, I’m guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

archer22 wrote: »
    Oh what happened?...some Chinese girl turn her nose up at you :)
    :rolleyes:

Do you want to talk about whats really bothering you, because I bet its got nothing to do with China!

If you are prepared to bet on what's going on in the mind of a perfect stranger you probably have a gambling problem.

OP has raised a serious issue which, agree or disagree with him, deserves better than stupid, teeny bopper responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

feargale wrote:
    OP has raised a serious issue which, agree or disagree with him, deserves better than stupid, teeny bopper responses.

I would think 'stupid, teeny bopper responses' are par for the course in AH whereas if the OP wanted a serious discussion the Politics forum might be more appropriate. Just my opinion though.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It shows how racist the Left really are deep down.

They don't care about non whites in Asia.

Yeah that hippy trump :rolleyes:

The next time 'the left' are doing business in china they should look at themselves in the mirror :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Why is there barely a peep about the insane stuff the Chinese are up to?

They've been condemned over and over by international watchdogs, one of the latest being a UN report that outright declares them as "wicked".

They harvest body organs from people they don't like. One testimony in the report from a doctor describes how he was ordered to "cut deep and cut fast" to remove kidneys from a victim, only to his (extra?) horror to find that the person was still alive.

They are trying to set up yet another Chinese colony in Antigua, the conditions of which are an absolute joke. Its pure and unadulterated colonialism.

Theres the ongoing genocide against the Uighur people, where "entire towns and villages are left empty"

The Nepal thing, the social credit system, the surveillance system, the list goes on.

Theyre monsters.

Yet instead of anyone challenging that stuff, its more shoite like "gender neutral uniforms", boycotts because someone got offended over a packet of figrolls, what Trump said today, "how many genders are there really?"...just a load of inconsequential bullshoite.

Where are the social level boycotts on China? Why aren't people making videos and podcasts and "calls to action" on Chinese people for being so aggressively imperialist? Where are the attacks on "Chinese privilege" when they walk into other countries and set up colonies without batting an eyelid? Why are people more concerned with trivial nonsense than actual, ongoing, state sanctioned atrocity?

Allot of bad stuff going on in America and nobody is doing much about it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Because "orange man bad" and until the media decide China is the bad guy and harp on about it endlessly your average drone dumbbell won't know or care about it.

Because "orange man bad" and until the media decide China is the bad guy and harp on about it endlessly your average drone dumbbell won't know or care about it.

People will discuss topics that come up. If it's not raised broadly it'll get less attention. There's actually a thread on boards about the Chinese now.

• Advertisement

That's a fantastically bad idea.

There was some uproar in Canada (?) not so long ago, about Chinese students reporting back to china on the "inappropriate behaviour" of other students.

Theres another scandal about vast numbers of Chinese cheating their way into American colleges, spys left right and center keeping an eye on "things"

These people do not care about anything other than improving China for Chinese people.

While they prosper from us and enact atrocities left right and center with a view to spreading worldwide and setting up colonies, we can get them to change by allowing them to do what they want and let them move here even more easily? That's a bold strategy there! :P

China is like the USSR, but actually very successful. That's one hell of a combination.

You really should meet some Chinese people in the west, rather than pick up this insane guff from the US far right. Great bunch of lads.

The average drone dumbbell is talking about China on this thread.

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Its become very unpopular to point to other cultures and say they are wrong about something. We're only allowed to complain about stuff we do.

What is going on in China is extreme. Its similar to nazi germany.

You really should meet some Chinese people in the west, rather than pick up this insane guff from the US far right. Great bunch of lads.

They are literally terrified of their government. And extreme poverty is NORMAL.

Plus you can't own your own house and its difficult to pass wealth down. Not impossible but hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

China is not a western democracy, America is or claims to be. That is why attitudes to both are different.
    We may hate what is going on in china but have zero influence and depend on their economy. Sad but true.
    America is a western country with European heritage and plenty of Irish descendants. It will obviously be of more interest and more influence.

They are literally terrified of their government. And extreme poverty is NORMAL.

Plus you can't own your own house and its difficult to pass wealth down. Not impossible but hard.

China has literally pushed its way out of extreme poverty faster than any other society in history. And the Chinese aren’t scared of the government - it’s authoritarian rather than totalitarian.

China has literally pushed its way out of extreme poverty faster than any other society in history. And the Chinese aren’t scared of the government - it’s authoritarian rather than totalitarian.

That isn't true. I have numerous chinese and hong kong chinese friends.

It can turn totalitarian in an area at the blink of an eye. Your life can change.

Forced abortions concentration camps whole areas under a different rule of law for a generation.

Remember huge population millions still remain pour. And no the type of poverty you see here.

Huge areas still have the one child rule.

They are taught a whole fake history of their country and world history. It bears no resemblance to reality.

My friend couldn't believe reality when she started reading things here.

It still goes on with current events and news etc.

I could go on.

Terrible things happen in china to whole families.

RUSSIA is authoritarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭Odhinn

There are protests against China, mostly around the Tibet issue. However they can't be placed under sanction as they have a seat on the UNSC, and footage of the atrocities it commits anywhere is rare. Given their industrial strength there is no appetite amongst the international community to tackle them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Yeah that hippy trump :rolleyes:

The next time 'the left' are doing business in china they should look at themselves in the mirror :)

Tbf its a thundering disgrace that noone.pulls china up on human right abuses.

Everyone kinda ignores it coz muh cheap iphones....its pure wrong

• Advertisement

Odhinn wrote: »
    There are protests against China, mostly around the Tibet issue. However they can't be placed under sanction as they have a seat on the UNSC, and footage of the atrocities it commits anywhere is rare. Given their industrial strength there is no appetite amongst the international community to tackle them.

They won't ever tackle it.

Advertisement