Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 Xboxes in the house won't connect to 5ghz network

• 08-04-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So long story short: my Xbox one x and daughters Xbox one s won't connect to 5ghz anymore. Both of Xboxes worked on it before with no issues and one day both went off. Had to switch to 2.4, which is horrible.
    My phone and misses phone working without the issues. Smart Android TV too. So clearly some issue with xbox itself? Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

When you say won't connect anymore, this implies it did work in the past?
    Was there any change on the router side such as changing channel width etc?
    Can you separate the 2.4 and 5ghz networks with different names and see if able to connect to them then?

Was the location of the router changed or any other change of furniture etc? 2.4 is better at going through walls etc than 5Ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

brav wrote: »
    When you say won't connect anymore, this implies it did work in the past?
    Was there any change on the router side such as changing channel width etc?
    Can you separate the 2.4 and 5ghz networks with different names and see if able to connect to them then?

Was the location of the router changed or any other change of furniture etc? 2.4 is better at going through walls etc than 5Ghz

Yes, both of us were on 5ghz. For over a year. One day I came back from work. Fired up my Xbox and just no internet. Tried to connect again, but nothing. Daughter discovered same thing on her Xbox next day. Same issue. Both work on 2.4ghz.
    No changes were made since day one and both 2.4 and 5 already separated since it was installed by technician.
    Does not effect any other devices in the house. I just connected Amazon Alexa on 5ggz with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Try this: Settings > Network > Advanced > Alternate MAC Address > Clear
    After this, the XBox will reboot and problem should go away.

Another thing to try: hold the power button down until the console beeps and shuts off. Then unplug the power cord, and wait 30 seconds. Plug back and start again.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Try this: Settings > Network > Advanced > Alternate MAC Address > Clear
    After this, the XBox will reboot and problem should go away.

Another thing to try: hold the power button down until the console beeps and shuts off. Then unplug the power cord, and wait 30 seconds. Plug back and start again.

Tried both things and still the same. It just says no internet connection. Unplug and plug back in crap.
    When i go to advanced settings it doesn't even have it address.

This is really annoying me. On 2.4ghz in games like Fortnite I constantly get lag spikes of 300 or just pure freezes. I can't get Ethernet cable going to Xbox, because it's in bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭sioda

Tried both things and still the same. It just says no internet connection. Unplug and plug back in crap.

This is really annoying me. On 2.4ghz in games like Fortnite I constantly get lag spikes of 300 or just pure freezes. I can't get Ethernet cable going to Xbox, because it's in bedroom.

Powerline adaptor and wire them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Did you have them set up with static IPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

So long story short: my Xbox one x and daughters Xbox one s won't connect to 5ghz anymore. Both of Xboxes worked on it before with no issues and one day both went off. Had to switch to 2.4, which is horrible.
    My phone and misses phone working without the issues. Smart Android TV too. So clearly some issue with xbox itself? Any opinions?

This has happened to me today 5ghz stopped working on my one X and can only connect to 2.4, has Microsoft done something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

sioda wrote: »
    Powerline adaptor and wire them

This.

Yes that is a solution but up until a few days ago 5ghz was working flawlessly and now it seems for two of us on here we are having the exact same issue, is it just coincidence or has something stopped working on the hardware or software side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Maybe try a different channel on the router?

• Advertisement

Yes that is a solution but up until a few days ago 5ghz was working flawlessly and now it seems for two of us on here we are having the exact same issue, is it just coincidence or has something stopped working on the hardware or software side of things.

Exactly. It worked fine and both Xboxes just went pop. Now you too. I bet there will be more people.
    Who you with? I am with Virgin. So wonder if MS changed something or Virgin.

Can't really use wall adapters as sockets in bedroom are all over the place. Already have extenction leads going everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you both on Virgin?

I am on Virgin anyways

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, the Virgin boxes are utterly terrible. My 5Ghz channel frequently loses DNS for no reason. I was actually looking into getting this box turned into a pure modem and using my own router for WiFi.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ah, the Virgin boxes are utterly terrible. My 5Ghz channel frequently loses DNS for no reason. I was actually looking into getting this box turned into a pure modem and using my own router for WiFi.

Would there be much faffing and setting up if I would get proper third party modem?
    We are lucky and have standalone virgin modem now, not that bull**** that was TV and internet in one.
    At this point I am pretty sure there is some issue with Virgin not liking Xboxes as all other devices work fine so far. Then again, Xbox wifi is not known for it's great performance.

Would there be much faffing and setting up if I would get proper third party modem?

You've got to get on to the Virgin reps on boards first, they've got to allow you to have "Modem Mode" first, which is a bit of a joke in my opinion, I'm just used to going into the options and messing around myself.

That's the easy part, once you get your new wireless router, you connect it up, and depending on the make/model, it ranges from easy to hard. It's usually easy, and because you're using two Xboxs, it'll be even easier as you'll only be using UPNP instead of port forwarding, etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You've got to get on to the Virgin reps on boards first, they've got to allow you to have "Modem Mode" first, which is a bit of a joke in my opinion, I'm just used to going into the options and messing around myself.

That's the easy part, once you get your new wireless router, you connect it up, and depending on the make/model, it ranges from easy to hard. It's usually easy, and because you're using two Xboxs, it'll be even easier as you'll only be using UPNP instead of port forwarding, etc.

That's exactly what I did. Once I got setup with Virgin and their Hub 3.0 box I got on to them on boards and just asked them to change me over to an IPv4 address - once that's done you get a Modem Mode setting you can access. Select that and connect the Hub to a proper router and away you go. On a recommendation from some other boardsies I got one of these Netgear R7800 Nighthawks in a sale and don't remember having to mess about with any settings on it. Pretty much plug and play.

There's 3 xboxes connected to it (one wired), Firestick HD, phones and tablets and no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

ED E wrote: »
    Are you both on Virgin?

Is it related to the recent update to the Hub 3.0 I wonder?

Is it related to the recent update to the Hub 3.0 I wonder?

Funny you say that, as I did sow it update itself, before it all went ape ****. I can't pin point to exact timing, but I did noticed modem updating itself in that time frame.

So just a little update on this.

I got home plugs in Argos as my old ones died from... I don't know, old age? Those TP yolks can't last more then 2 years for some reason and a lot of reviews prove it.
    So anyway, found a way to plug those in and first day they were Grand. Got higher ping, but at least it was stable. 40mbit out of 200. It all went down hill from there. Ping just jumps around like crazy. Playing games like POE is like slide show. Bought new Ethernet cable and it's still same.
    Went back to 2.4ghz. it's sucks in Fortnite, but at least other games are playable. MS network test shows 65mbit and 33 ping.

Really annoyed that 5ghz stopped working. Kind of expected some update to fix it, but no luck. Looks like I will have to suck it up and get some proper modem instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Try a different socket.
    There can be huge variances, depending on the wiring of your house.

Soarer wrote: »
    Try a different socket.
    There can be huge variances, depending on the wiring of your house.

I did, it was actually even worse lol. I know that those plugs depend a lot on how good wiring is in the house and clearly it's crap.

I did, it was actually even worse lol. I know that those plugs depend a lot on how good wiring is in the house and clearly it's crap.

Just an update on this ShadowHearth, took a look at the VM forums here, and there's a thread on a recent software update that has knocked a lot of devices off the 5Ghz wifi.

See here. Doesn't seem like there's a solution so far, maybe complain in that thread to add your voice.

Just an update on this ShadowHearth, took a look at the VM forums here, and there's a thread on a recent software update that has knocked a lot of devices off the 5Ghz wifi.

See here. Doesn't seem like there's a solution so far, maybe complain in that thread to add your voice.

Thx. I wonder if those lag spikes I was talking about were because of that issue too. As I said before: I can't even play online shooters as lag spikes are just impossible to deal with.

Advertisement