Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

Probably because of the individual landowners getting fcuked over by the powers that be in the past. Land is a very sensitive issue in this country.

no, thought its a quick and handy response

its because theres a lovely industry in land banking, a lovely industry in the legal and administrative barriers, a lovely industry in inflating the price of public purchase of assets and above all a contempt for the idea that experts should ever be able to make and enforce a decision against a gob****e in this country

hearkening back to absentee landlords and all that is an embarrassment tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    There wouldn't be a decent road in the country if guys like him were indulged

They are though, the amount of work they get done as part of any CPO is unreal. I often think wow, it actually adds value compared to the **** holes that they were before they got miles of fencing, tarmac driveways, masonry walls and lots of other things too. Sheds, even whole new fields created out of bogs for them. So being whingy pays off, and by Jaysus can farmers whinge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

i dont know if its only on boards or what

but everywhere else on the internet knows that the phrase 'legitimate concerns' is genuinely like a shorthand/dogwhistle for 'bad faith opposition'

What point are you trying to make?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

if one fella needs to have a cpo hit him for 8bn to be invested then that is exactly what should happen

Nothing of his land is being CPOd for this planning application.
    Plans are on Kildare CoCo planning for all to see.
    All the development will be on the existing site, just looking for change from previous granted planning application to increase the FAB size, nearly double it.

a1h7jd.png

The farmer's land in the bottom left of the blue/yellow line

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

no, thought its a quick and handy response

its because theres a lovely industry in land banking, a lovely industry in the legal and administrative barriers, a lovely industry in inflating the price of public purchase of assets and above all a contempt for the idea that experts should ever be able to make and enforce a decision against a gob****e in this country

hearkening back to absentee landlords and all that is an embarrassment tbh

Yeah, damn past and people learning from it to make sure it will never happen again and act cautiously around institutions or groups seeking land. ..........embarrassing.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    They are though, the amount of work they get done as part of any CPO is unreal. I often think wow, it actually adds value compared to the **** holes that they were before they got miles of fencing, tarmac driveways, masonry walls and lots of other things too. Sheds, even whole new fields created out of bogs for them. So being whingy pays off, and by Jaysus can farmers whinge

Don't forget the tunnels built under the new roads so cattle can access and egress the milking parlour from different fields.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

What point are you trying to make?

i made it.

you may still, however, be 'trying' to grasp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

i made it.

you may still, however, be 'trying' to grasp it.

ltn.gif

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Don't forget the tunnels built under the new roads so cattle can access and egress the milking parlour from different fields.

And how would a farmer get his cows across the main road otherwise. Stop all the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The man doesn't have a family ie kids as far as I know so it's not for future generations of his own family he's fighting for. He seems to be fighting on matters of principal as he sees them.

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    And how would a farmer get his cows across the main road otherwise. Stop all the traffic.

I'm not trying to say it's wrong that these tunnels were built, stopping traffic just wouldn't work and neither would bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Maybe is planning to sell his land to AMD

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The man doesn't have a family ie kids as far as I know so it's not for future generations of his own family he's fighting for. He seems to be fighting on matters of principal as he sees them.

And I for one wish him the best of luck in his fight not to bullied by a corporate giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Rich man says "Gimme".

We are obliged to give.

Nah, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

And I for one wish him the best of luck in his fight not to bullied by a corporate giant.

Ok, and if Intel says we'll invest in Israel instead and wind down Leixlip due to ludicrous planning fiascos in Ireland you would be perfectly happy with that?

All those high paid jobs, local jobs, local funds and national revenues gone.

This man's land is NOT being CPO'ed - it's a grudge.

7th time objecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Seems to be plenty of space for intel to expand - might make sense for them to expand west but it's not like it's the only option.

caaEzbc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

2019: but its been in my family for generations. my grandpappy bought it in 18 diggity 2 for a goat and a fur lined hat.

2020: $8 billion investment gets denied. goes somewhere else. adios losers.

2030: Empty field.

2040: Distant Australian relative, twice removed, sells precious family heritage, half goes to his ex wife in a divorce.

2041: Irish people continue to grumble about legacy of unemployment. A nation scratches its head and wonders why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ok, and if Intel says we'll invest in Israel instead and wind down Leixlip due to ludicrous planning fiascos in Ireland you would be perfectly happy with that?

7th time objecting.

There has already been an attempt to illegally cpo this land by the IDA , the legislation has since been changed to give the IDA more powers to build land banks, I'm sure the man is objecting because, if Intel do get planning his land will be subject to a CPO once more

7th time objecting.

If Intel want to go to Israel that's entirely up to them.

What you and they need to understand first and foremost is that they must obey the law of the land here in Ireland if they want to do business here.

They are not basing themselves here in Ireland for any other reason than it makes better business sense than being located anywhere else.

There has already been an attempt to illegally cpo this land by the IDA , the legislation has since been changed to give the IDA more powers to build land banks, I'm sure the man is objecting because, if Intel do get planning his land will be subject to a CPO once more

The planning application has nothing to do with his land.

So Intel should not be allowed expand on this site ever because this man's land might eventually be CPO'ed for something else? :confused:

What kind of mickey mouse way would that be to go about things?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You wouldn't think anyone lived in that gaff if you saw it, broken windows, tiles missing off the roof. The land around it is in some state, I'd call him a few things, but a farmer he ain't.

What you and they need to understand first and foremost is that they must obey the law of the land here in Ireland if they want to do business here.

They are not basing themselves here in Ireland for any other reason than it makes better business sense than being located anywhere else.

Erm, the problem for Ireland, Leixlip and West Dublin is Israel in this instance....

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Intel-to-invest-a-further-11-billion-in-Israel-operations-578973

Make no mistake we are up against them when it comes to investment decisions by Intel and unfortunately they are winning at the moment. That's not good for Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

His reasons;

474782.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That is true. However, if Intel expands in Ireland, people in Ireland get employed, and other businesses get money from Intels staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

ah yeah, thats grand.

the_syco wrote: »
    His reasons;

474782.jpg

Sure we can't build anything at all then, anywhere.

Erm, the problem for Ireland, Leixlip and West Dublin is Israel in this instance....

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Intel-to-invest-a-further-11-billion-in-Israel-operations-578973

Make no mistake we are up against them when it comes to investment decisions by Intel and unfortunately they are winning at the moment. That's not good for Leixlip.

This isn't just about Intel and how they should be pandered to, it's about an Irish farmer standing up for himself in a court of law and winning against tremendous odds.

I back him every step of the way in his next battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

European sites directives?

Dictatorship?

Is this another Freeman case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Sure we can't build anything at all then, anywhere.

Of course you can once you go through the planning process. Do you think it should be circumvented to suit certain entities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm no legal expert but I'd imagine in order for your argument to succeed in court you have to explicitly point out what specific law or directive is being broken, not simply name the enormous vague area of law you reckon is being broken.

Advertisement