Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

Big flash and bang in Grangecastle Dublin. Might get a nice show driving home in 25 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Thunder in D22.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That was loud

seems to be bypassing Carlow now all around but not over., east west north south but over carlow is a thunder free zone lol

More big bang over Grangecastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Got the dogs out for their walk, just in the door and the rain is getting heavier. Still rumbles but sounds quite far away. Tramore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Thunder and showers arrived Dublin 15, Ongar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Less rumbles of Thunder now in Waterford City. Can’t see any flashes to our South or West. I wonder is it loosing intensity. Rain has just started

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crowther15

Big clap of thunder few mins ago here in Clonee D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thunder in Dunshaughlin co Meath. Getting louder and some rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Crack of thunder in finglas lasted about 10 seconds. Sun is shining at the same time and pissing rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Rumbles are getting louder, Waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flash and house rattling thunder in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

What actually causes this narrow corridor of activity. Is it an upper cold front moving over the warmer air mass or what. I would be interested to know

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

pad199207 wrote: »
    Flash and house rattling thunder in Kildare

Scattered rumbles here in newbridge with occasionally 1 or 2 minute bursts of heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Wow... that was some alarm clock.
    The size of this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is a dedicated event thread folks, please head on over and join the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

champchamp wrote: »

Awww, it stopped before the thunder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Sitting out with my coffee, watching the stream of thunderclouds pass north over the Comeraghs about 10km East of me. Strikes lighting up the clouds every few mins. All back-lit by a lovely sunrise over Slievnamon.

Reminds me of balmy summer's on the continent.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

To say that was a disappointment was an understatement !!!

All the way home to Carlow from Dublin there wasn't a single flash of Lightning, One loud clap in Grangecastle Dublin and a few rumbles and a bit of rain a while before I left work.

The Road home to Carlow was also damp there was no heavy rain certainly no downpour on the entire stretch of road.

Watching this develop in Work last night was exciting then for it all to me not worth a sh1t lol, it's just typical.

Just goes to show while the radar might show a lot of sparks they are quite spread out and doesn't really indicate a level of intensity because out of a level of 1-5 I would consider this to have been below 1 lol.

Perhaps other people witnessed more than a few flashes and bangs but this was not a Thunderstorm not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

To say that was a disappointment was an understatement !!!

All the way home to Carlow from Dublin there wasn't a single flash of Lightning, One loud clap in Grangecastle Dublin and a few rumbles and a bit of rain a while before I left work.

The Road home to Carlow was also damp there was no heavy rain certainly no downpour on the entire stretch of road.

Watching this develop in Work last night was exciting then for it all to me not worth a sh1t lol, it's just typical.

Just goes to show while the radar might show a lot of sparks they are quite spread out and doesn't really indicate a level of intensity because out of a level of 1-5 I would consider this to have been below 1 lol.

Perhaps other people witnessed more than a few flashes and bangs but this was not a Thunderstorm not even close.

Same as that but I guess I was lucky got to see one nice fork lightning on the curragh plans before I got home,I didn't even need to put on wet gear.
    Looked more impressive on radar by a long ways.

I suppose the radar looks so impressive because it shows strikes from what, 30 mins previous ? where as in reality it's a lot lot less.

I suppose the radar looks so impressive because it shows strikes from what, 30 mins previous ? where as in reality it's a lot lot less.

I use an Australian weather app,it shows lightning strikes very well for Ireland plus precipitation ect ,it showed a lot less strkes

ZX7R wrote: »
    I use an Australian weather app,it shows lightning strikes very well for Ireland plus precipitation ect ,it showed a lot less strkes

What is it ?

What is it ?

Weather & radar on play store
    I find it excellent and have used it in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=10
    Serious storms over central Europe at the moment

I'm going to Austria to the Alps on Friday for a few days then back to Germany, hope to see some action !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Throwback for its 10th anniversary. 10 years ago today, there was outbreaks of heavy thunderstorms in the west and east of the country. I'll let Met Éireann explain what happened:

During the period from midnight to 0900, thundery rain affected the east and northeast of the country, especially the Dublin area. Rainfall totals in this nine-hour period were around 40-50mm in parts of the city. A 60-minute fall of 26.5mm at Dublin Airport between 0400 and 0500 was the largest clock-hour rainfall ever recorded at the station. During the afternoon and evening of the same day, another narrow band of very heavy, thundery rain affected parts of Clare, Galway and Mayo, bringing even heavier falls. A daily total of 67mm was measured at Newport, Co. Mayo, and it is likely that some places had more than this. A 60-minute fall of 41.6mm at the station would be expected there only once every 150 years.

Event threads:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608848
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055610048

A radar image I found on Google Images.

zzfDeEh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Throwback for its 10th anniversary. 10 years ago today, there was outbreaks of heavy thunderstorms in the west and east of the country. I'll let Met Éireann explain what happened:

I remember this very well. Living in Lusk at the time just north of the airport and to this day is the only time ever the weather worried me... I remember it waking me up and I sat looking out the window at the rain and floods of water flowing down the road wondering if the house was going to flood. The lightning was impressive too as it reflected off the rain and lit the place up like a hot summers day.

• Advertisement

I think I remember this, if I remember correctly there was also a big electrical storm around then, amazing lightning but no Thunder.

These were the years 08-11 or around that period where we got many torrential downpours in the Summer. Around the time of the really Cold Winters.

Advertisement