Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow-ice Warning : Wednesday 27 Dec. 2017 21:00 to Fri 29 Dec 10.00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Their initial warning was way over the top.
    This one sounds about right.
    Any risk of snowfall looks like being in the south west only aka Cork......lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Had hail on and off today which has left a white frost underfoot. Very icy out - and really cold can see the predicted snowfall here - there should at least be an ice warning I'd imagine the backroads will be treacherous in the morning.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Glad I didn’t get excited with that earlier Warning from Met Eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Yeah for a start southeasterly winds whipping in the milder air more quickly
    It’s awful difficult to cover bases

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No mention of snow in any of the just issued TAF's in Ireland.

Dublin and Shannon only mention rain, Knock and Cork have a mention of sleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Aerodrome warnings. Severe ground frost at Cork

Shannon EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 271900/281100 FROST FBL GND DEPOSITIONS LIKELY BECMG 2300Z MOD GND and FBL Air FCST =

Casement EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 271800/281000 FROST FBL GND DEPOSITIONS LIKELY BECMG 0000Z MOD GND and FBL Air FCST =

Cork EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 271800/281100 FROST FBL GND DEPOSITIONS LIKELY BECMG 0000Z SEV GND and MOD Air FCST =

Dublin EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 271800/281100 FROST FBL GND DEPOSITIONS LIKELY BECMG 0000Z MOD GND and FBL Air CHECK TEXT NEW ENDING ADDED EIDBYBYX=

Knock EIKN AD WRNG 02 VALID 271800/281100 FROST FBL GND DEPOSITIONS LIKELY BECMG 0000Z SEV GND and MOD Air FCST =

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looks like a lack of perception rather than lack of cold caused the change in met eairann yellow warning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Their initial warning was way over the top.
    This one sounds about right.
    Any risk of snowfall looks like being in the south west only aka Cork......lol

Kerry would fit that description as well. Probably same old story with snow confined generally to higher areas.

Yeah for a start southeasterly winds whipping in the milder air more quickly
    It’s awful difficult to cover bases

This island is cursed when it comes to winter

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

pad199207 wrote: »
    This island is cursed when it comes to winter

Snow is a pain in the a## after the initial fun involved .

I love the novelty of it but it causes great hardships and danger for people living in rural communities.

Be thankful for our ( normally ) mild & wet winters.

• Advertisement

2010 was absolutely amazing and I willl never forget it, but has it raised our expectations of every following winter?

Every winter since has been absolute torture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

barney 20v wrote: »
    Snow is a pain in the a## after the initial fun involved .

I love the novelty of it but it causes great hardships and danger for people living in rural communities.

Be thankful for our ( normally ) mild & wet winters.

Thats fighting talk around here.
    I would welcome a decent snowfall, people always figure out a way to deal with difficult situations. It's called life, you have to get on with it as you sure as hell can't do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Yet again the initial weather warnings were way over the top. People becoming immune. I was talking to the brother earlier and as they all know I’m always talking about the weather and when I said there was a chance of some snow tomorrow and a warning issued, he just rolled his eyes. And true to recent form, warnings have been withdrawn.

Why would a warning for less than 3cm of snow even be necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Thats fighting talk around here.
    I would welcome a decent snowfall, people always figure out a way to deal with difficult situations. It's called life, you have to get on with it as you sure as hell can't do anything about it.

Just think for a moment about farmers and people in the emergency services who have to deal with difficult snowy conditions. While you are gleefully building your snowman they are dealing with less than optimal conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just drove through snow covered ungritted roads from Kilkelly to Tubbercurry. It took me an hour to do 30 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hirlamuk-1-21-0.png?28-04

Some inconsistency on how far north the precip/snowfall gets and intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hit -4.6c at my station in Tullow

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

-0.9 at 8am in North Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

-2 north Kildare
    Praying for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Peaked at -4.9c

• Advertisement

Of the 12 airports on the island of Ireland, only Knock and Kerry mention sleet in their TAFS. The others have rain.

The 12Z aviation chart shows the front lying across Kerry, moving E at 10 kts, with moderate rain and isolated sleet (snow on mountains).

Of the 12 airports on the island of Ireland, only Knock and Kerry mention sleet in their TAFS. The others have rain.

The 12Z aviation chart shows the front lying across Kerry, with moderate rain and isolated sleet (snow on mountains).

Judging by the lack of reports on here further west it must be rain/sleet. Cloudy and cold in north cork but probably the usual rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

According to Hirlam model the rain currently in to the southwest should be transitioning to snow early this afternoon but remaining as rain on Atlantic coasts.

hirlamuk-42-12-0.png?28-04

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Here comes the Snow.....

psvt2.png

According to Hirlam model the rain currently in to the southwest should be transitioning to snow early this afternoon but remaining as rain on Atlantic coasts.

hirlamuk-42-12-0.png?28-04

That's possible alright. The airports are all mostly around the coastal counties. Current inland temp/dp/cloudbase suggest good scope for evaporative cooling inland, though the aviation chart suggests not.

It should be raining/sleet here in north cork going by the radars but nothing at all at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Roads gritted at 6pm in the rain no sign of the until after 8am this morning. Do they even know how grit works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The 12Z aviation chart shows the front lying across Kerry, moving E at 10 kts, with moderate rain and isolated sleet (snow on mountains).

Cork airports TAF has sleet.

Currently 2.8c and raining here in West Clare, overnight low of 1.6c . Shall temperatures drop here later?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Overnight low here near Arklow of -2.7c
    Rising rapidly enough now in beautiful rising sun and a slight NW breeze
    Currently 1.5c dewpoint -0.9c

If the precip reaches here later,I’m expecting rain in a SE breeze but if it’s still westerly maybe something more wintry
    I think the latter unlikely though

Advertisement