Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    This is very relevant to me right now!

Had an old mate from Belgium staying all week. He invited himself as he was doing some work here in London...I wasn't that keen but agreed as I'm trying to be more charitable etc this year. He stayed Monday to Friday. Ate dinner with us every night, drank loads of our cans/wine..stressed me out a bit as we're very tight on money this month due to my hours being cut at work, but he's fairly good company so I didn't make a big deal of it.

I met him in a cafe this evening to have a quick dinner before he headed home. Went to a cheap Korean place, came to about 7 quid a head, but I only had a card and it turns out they don't take cards. My friend, who had a wallet full of notes, suggested I go to a cash machine, I said there weren't any around that area (this is true)...he begrudgingly agreed to pay for my half and then he said "you can buy me one back next time you're in Belgium."

took me

I just sat and looked at him in amazement and he asked what was up...I couldn't bite my tongue and said "you've stayed with me for free all week, saving about £400 on a hotel bill, you've eaten dinner for free all week, saving about £100 on food, you've drunk loads of our booze which directly cost us about £20, and you're seriously feeling hard done by about paying £7 for my dinner?" The worst part was that he still didn't seem to get it, started going on about how it hadn't cost us anything to have him in our house as he was just sleeping on the sofa and food scales up well.

We had an awkward goodbye hug and he invited me to stay with him in Belgium, but seriously? Is it just me? Staying with someone for 5 nights, bringing no gift, not offering to buy a takeaway and then grumbling over £7?

took me a while to lift my lower jaw after reading this - gee i bring bickies to any house i visit - and if i stay or something i bring wine chocs what ever.. i think it depends on how one is raised

fair play to you for saying it to him - you don't need mates like that, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

wally79 wrote: »
    You’re right he’s not stingy. He’s a thief

Doing it with food is stingy. But a canteen in my college charges for sachets of mayo or red sauce etc, 20c a pop. They get popped under the plate on the tray every time, not a chance in hell would i pay 20c for a squeeze of sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'm friends with a guy who's great in a lot of ways but a total fking stinge. A few times a group of us would go out for dinner and everyone would stick in money including a tip but then we'd count the money and it would be exactly the price of the bill. This happened a few times and we'd joke about people being short but everyone would be all "No I paid." Then we'd all dig in again to cover the tip.

Well one time we were out and we caught yer man at it. Say 4 of us are out and we all order food that costs 8 euro each. We look at the bill and three of us throw in 10 to cover food and a tip. He waits until we've all chipped in, sees how much the bill is, sees how much is in already and tops up. So on a bill of 32 euro he's put in 2. He feigned ignorance but he knows fckin well that his food didn't cost 2 euro. So tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

Doing it with food is stingy. But a canteen in my college charges for sachets of mayo or red sauce etc, 20c a pop. They get popped under the plate on the tray every time, not a chance in hell would i pay 20c for a squeeze of sauce

But that’s the price. You’re taking something without paying for it. Justify it to yourself however you want but that’s theft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

I'm not so sure if you'd call this stingy or just plain cunning, but here you go: I visited my friend in the UK recently and any time we went out during the day he would insist on paying for 'the small stuff' as we shall refer to it (cup of coffee, slice of cake etc). Then when the evening came and we went out for dinner, he would order a starter, main course, dessert and he even treated himself to a bottle of wine on one such outing. Then when the bill came, his response was 'I assume you're getting this since I paid last time'. Last time? For a cup of coffee vs a full three course dinner? I wasn't there long enough to raise the issue, but just long enough to notice the pattern emerging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Hrududu wrote: »
    I'm friends with a guy who's great in a lot of ways but a total fking stinge. A few times a group of us would go out for dinner and everyone would stick in money including a tip but then we'd count the money and it would be exactly the price of the bill. This happened a few times and we'd joke about people being short but everyone would be all "No I paid." Then we'd all dig in again to cover the tip.

Well one time we were out and we caught yer man at it. Say 4 of us are out and we all order food that costs 8 euro each. We look at the bill and three of us throw in 10 to cover food and a tip. He waits until we've all chipped in, sees how much the bill is, sees how much is in already and tops up. So on a bill of 32 euro he's put in 2. He feigned ignorance but he knows fckin well that his food didn't cost 2 euro. So tight.

That's where this missing pound went;
    “Three friends decide to split the bill after a meal at a restaurant. The waiter says the bill is £30, so each guest pays £10.

“Later the waiter realises the bill should only be £25. To rectify this, he takes £5 from the amount to return to the group.

“On the way to the table, the waiter realises that he cannot divide the money equally. As the customers didn't know the total of the revised bill, the waiter decides to just give each of the three friends £1 and keep £2 for himself.

“Each guest got £1 back: so now each guest only paid £9; bringing the total paid to £27. The waiter has £2. And £27 + £2 = £29 so, if the guests originally handed over £30, what happened to the remaining £1?”

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

duffysfarm wrote: »
    went to college with a lad that used to get sausage and chips in the canteen and (he woudl be wearing a hoodie with pockets) and by the time he got to the till he would have the sasauges in his hoodie pocket so he would only have to pay for the chips. i didnt think he was stingy, i thought he was a legend!

Was this the Buttery in Trinity back before they did it up? When I was a student there I knew a fella who did something similar except instead of putting the sauseges into his pocket he'd eat them in the Q before he got to the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

wally79 wrote: »
    But that’s the price. You’re taking something without paying for it. Justify it to yourself however you want but that’s theft

Ah now give over with saying its theft and show a bit of cop on, the boxes of condiments cost sweet fa and should be factored into the price of the food

Would you be in favour of charging for the use of knifes and forks too? A table? A chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Whats with the upsurge in the amount of gin drinkers all of a sudden, fat fighters or flab flingers or whatever the **** that group you go to to tell you what you already know that you can drink gin??. Yes you can drink gin like you can drink any drink once you dont suck the bottle dry. And putting lemons limes and ****in cucumbers in it wont give you one of your five a day, Your better off keeping the cucumber and giving yourself one five times a day, loads of calories burned up that way,,,,can i have a gin and slimline tonic please as im on a diet is like walking down to the bottom carriage at a train station to try and get close to the exit at the next stop,, your going to get there the same time so its pointless,,ps ive done that like a gob****e...The answer to it all is simple....ive never seen a fat skeleton so keeping that in mind be who you are and do what you enjoy doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

mackeire wrote:
    Whats with the upsurge in the amount of gin drinkers all of a sudden, fat fighters or flab flingers or whatever the **** that group you go to to tell you what you already know that you can drink gin??. Yes you can drink gin like you can drink any drink once you dont suck the bottle dry. And putting lemons limes and ****in cucumbers in it wont give you one of your five a day, Your better off keeping the cucumber and giving yourself one five times a day, loads of calories burned up that way,,,,can i have a gin and slimline tonic please as im on a diet is like walking down to the bottom carriage at a train station to try and get close to the exit at the next stop,, your going to get there the same time so its pointless,,ps ive done that like a gob****e...The answer to it all is simple....ive never seen a fat skeleton so keeping that in mind be who you are and do what you enjoy doing

<
    Gin **** thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Would you be in favour of charging for the use of knifes and forks too? A table? A chair?

Yes, if after your consumed them they had to be bought in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,760 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Ah now give over with saying its theft and show a bit of cop on, the boxes of condiments cost sweet fa and should be factored into the price of the food
    Then you'd get the many people who don't want them would moan about paying for those who do. To pocket something that's priced up is theft, though.
    Not that I've ever done that myself, of course not (cought). The boxes of condiments don't actually cost nothing, contrary to your assertion.
    They're already factored in.
    The real stingey feckers can take themselves off to a takeaway if they don't want to pay for a place to sit at.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

A lot of the time, especially around students, charges are put on things like condiments, empty takeaway cups and so on because otherwise people just take shítloads and take them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I work in a kitchen at a local hotel and there is a chef de party above me. I'm a commis chef. He's been payed 15 euro p/h. Whereas I'm been paid 9.15 p/h.

Every single day he is looking for lifts. He expects me to drive an extra 60 miles away to collect him from his house and drop hin home.

Two weeks ago he promised to give me some money towards petrol and he didn't. So I wore a hoody into work with "thanks, doesn't put fuel in the car" with a picture of a fuel display with the needle on "empty" which was printed on it. He still didn't take the hint. So I agreed to give him a lift home this same evening. Driving out of the entrance to the hotel. I said "could I have 10 euro towards petrol?" yet again he turns to me and says I've none on me. He always has 100 in his wallet for "emergencys". I pulled in on hard shoulder and left him to walk the extra 30 miles home..

Since then I've taken sick leave. So nothing has been said about this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Never mind the fuel, you seriously spend an extra hour of your day driving him to and from work?

How do people get themselves into these situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

You took something without paying for it. That's the exact definition of theft.

Never mind the fuel, you seriously spend an extra hour of your day driving him to and from work?

Well ya. When I first started working with him I was happy to help out! I'd never see someone stuck. because I may be in that situation some day. But I stop these things after a while when I find out more about the person. If there are just take advantage of people or if they are will to pay someone back for helping you out.

My coworker was just a pric* who just took advantage of people. So that's why I stopped it. However, I wouldn't mind about the time, but if someone isn't willing to at least pay me back. I'm not gonna bother with them anymore..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Add that this to the bill.
    job seeker wrote: »
    Whereas I'm been paid 9.15 p/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I work in a kitchen at a local hotel and there is a chef de party above me. I'm a commis chef. He's been payed 15 euro p/h. Whereas I'm been paid 9.15 p/h.

Every single day he is looking for lifts. He expects me to drive an extra 60 miles away to collect him from his house and drop hin home.

Two weeks ago he promised to give me some money towards petrol and he didn't. So I wore a hoody into work with "thanks, doesn't put fuel in the car" with a picture of a fuel display with the needle on "empty" which was printed on it. He still didn't take the hint. So I agreed to give him a lift home this same evening. Driving out of the entrance to the hotel. I said "could I have 10 euro towards petrol?" yet again he turns to me and says I've none on me. He always has 100 in his wallet for "emergencys". I pulled in on hard shoulder and left him to walk the extra 30 miles home..

He probably pimped a ride from someone else - way to go, champion!!!!

cbreeze wrote: »
    He probably pimped a ride from someone else - way to go, champion!!!!

Let him. :)

It's also worth noting that he doesn't have a licence because he was caught too many times without insurance.. :pac: Some say he was too stingy to buy it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Friends of mine that live in the country side recently got a knock at the door. When they answered it was a woman whose car had just ran out of petrol on the main road, she pleaded with them to get some petrol from the nearest garage. Not wanting to see anyone stuck, my friend got his red petrol can from the garage and off he went to the petrol station which is about 6/7km each way. When he arrived back he poured the petrol in the car, the woman asked how much it was, €7. She handed him a tenner and asked for the €3 change!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,760 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Sadb wrote: »
    Friends of mine that live in the country side recently got a knock at the door. When they answered it was a woman whose car had just ran out of petrol on the main road, she pleaded with them to get some petrol from the nearest garage. Not wanting to see anyone stuck, my friend got his red petrol can from the garage and off he went to the petrol station which is about 6/7km each way. When he arrived back he poured the petrol in the car, the woman asked how much it was, €7. She handed him a tenner and asked for the €3 change!!!!!

She might have been broke. One can only hope that when her fortunes change, she'll remember those who gave her a hand.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    She might have been broke. One can only hope that when her fortunes change, she'll remember those who gave her a hand.

These type of people rarely do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Sadb wrote: »
    These type of people rarely do!

Too true. Many years ago my late father got a similar knock on the door asking for petrol, he had half a can for the lawnmower which he helped pour into the car, driver then asked him for the can so he could fill it at the nearest station to return...needless to say neither he nor the can were ever seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

duffysfarm wrote:
    went to college with a lad that used to get sausage and chips in the canteen and (he woudl be wearing a hoodie with pockets) and by the time he got to the till he would have the sasauges in his hoodie pocket so he would only have to pay for the chips. i didnt think he was stingy, i thought he was a legend!

This was common place when I went to college but mainly around bread rolls.

I remember one of the guys (a simple fellow) went to pay for his breakfast with a couple of bread rolls in his pocket and ask for some butter at the till..

The woman behind the till says to him but you have no bread!! He nearly landed himself in it - me laughing behind him didn't help..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I don't believe a word of this.

Why is that? :) Are you always this doubtful? :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Why do you not travel 60 miles out of your way to drop someone home?

riemann wrote: »
    Why do you not travel 60 miles out of your way to drop someone home?

30 miles to pick him up and 30 to drop him home is what I meant.. I'm the type of person who never whats to see someone stuck. Then I'd be foolish enough to continue to help someone out..

At this stage it's nearly costing me to go to work! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

mikeymouse wrote: »
    That's where this missing pound went;
    “Three friends decide to split the bill after a meal at a restaurant. The waiter says the bill is £30, so each guest pays £10.

“Later the waiter realises the bill should only be £25. To rectify this, he takes £5 from the amount to return to the group.

“On the way to the table, the waiter realises that he cannot divide the money equally. As the customers didn't know the total of the revised bill, the waiter decides to just give each of the three friends £1 and keep £2 for himself.

“Each guest got £1 back: so now each guest only paid £9; bringing the total paid to £27. The waiter has £2. And £27 + £2 = £29 so, if the guests originally handed over £30, what happened to the remaining £1?”

You would want to learn how to count. The total paid was £28.

Advertisement