Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hundreds drown in Russian HEATWAVE!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

No signs yet

ESTOFEX
    The life-threatening strong heat wave keeps going over most parts of W-Russia and another heat wave also affects Spain. In-between, unsettled conditions occur with numerous showers and thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

At 33c it is not exceptionally hot... they have recorded 37.5c before... I guess it must be the persistance of heat. Sad reading about the drownings. Alcohol and swimming are a lethal combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I know some people in moscow at the moment, they said it is unbearable there, and no one is prepared for the type of weather they have at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It was on last weeks Farmer's journal, drought conditions began in late June and most of their wheat producing areas are affected with temperatures in the high 30's everyday.

Thank God for rain and to be living in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    It was on last weeks Farmer's journal, drought conditions began in late June and most of their wheat producing areas are affected with temperatures in the high 30's everyday.

Thank God for rain and to be living in Ireland.

And the silver lining is the higher world grain prices . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

And the silver lining is the higher world grain prices . . .

Yeah, this little graph brings a smile to my face every morning for the last few weeks,

121828.png

I saw on on or other of the farming sites that the drought is caused by hot dry (30%RH) winds called sukhovey blowing from the steppes, apparently when it starts it can desiccate everything in its path in hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Danno wrote: »
    At 33c it is not exceptionally hot...
    It's been well above 33 for many of the last ten days in Moscow. It rose to 37.2 on Monday. The highest ever recorded in Moscow. Many more days of it ahead yet

The OP's article was almost two weeks ago. That was just the beginning. I need to rehydrate just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

"The former record was 36.8 C, which was set on August 7, 2010."

Blog post by Nostradamus? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Owen just text me saying he is there at the moment, today was 39c, he said it was far to cold for him as he's had days in Coleraine over 40c.

Seriously, 39 c there today, i didnt realise it was as bad as it is there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wildfires sweeping across European Russia killed at least 25 people on Friday and forced the evacuation of thousands in the hottest weather since records began 130 years ago.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100730/tot-uk-russia-heat-fires-4b7b872.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭flutered

something similar in n.y.c. 103 a few weeks ago in central park beat the old record of 99 set a few yeas ago, the electric is failing, fires starting under the streets, from cables under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Same heatwave here in Finland. Up to 37 degrees. Was cooler yesterday thank God. The whole of July has been very dry. I haven't cut the grass in my lawn for 4 weeks. Nothing's growing... not even the weeds. Even the trees are dying and turning yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here is a MODIS satellite image of those fires (click on 250m for 250m per pixel resolution)

122383.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Smog & heat are now killing an average 700 people a day in Moscow now.

Advertisement