Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning over Maynooth

8-D3697-B1-985-D-440-A-9-C34-C154368796-B9.jpg

Storm over North Kildare. Anvil with the developing updraft at the rear

EBD7-B113-9657-4263-BF65-495-EC8-EA44-ED.jpg
    upload image host

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Those ominous dark clouds heading this way (to Dublin 16) but looks like mostly de-electrified now. 6.8mm here from the last hail/rain shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Those ominous dark clouds heading this way (to Dublin 16) but looks like mostly de-electrified now. 6.8mm here from the last hail/rain shower.

Yeah we've had them through District 15! Just sporadic moderate rain showers, I haven't noticed any hail in the past hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cell still firing away off Wexford and a cell off Skerries.

Record of today.

LightningMaps.org

Blitzortung.org

w22cBM5.gif

jUE3HOK.png

The welsh were hoping for some ‘Irish Imports’ earlier lol

F279-D101-A468-4405-B44-E-A9-C081-B1-B491.jpg

Strong radar return E of Athlone, been growing in size, don't know if there is enough instability to create a few sparks.

Edit: Just looked at radar again and it seems to have rained itself out.

ccBHL57.png

Not before producing a sferic :pac:

hjhqVUe.png

Hold the phone! More thunder here in Kildare now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    The welsh were hoping for some ‘Irish Imports’ earlier lol

F279-D101-A468-4405-B44-E-A9-C081-B1-B491.jpg

I could hear those storms here on the south Wicklow coast,it was pretty constant! Would have been a good light show if it were dark.

• Advertisement

6EVYE8D.png

TBzeV3E.png

Crickey the whole house just lit up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Crickey the whole house just lit up here!

Where might here be !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looks very dark down that direction

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Where might here be !!!

Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭ando

Managed to get two lightning flashes on camera :) West Dublin earlier today

qupwYUC.jpg

57KOpjW.jpg

vy3ala4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Heavy rain again now in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Got woken up by a massive bang last night at 3 am the house shook the baby jumped it was unreal
    It was just one bang I checked around the house and attic and can’t see anything
    All I can think is thunder now there was no flash or a continuous bang now I live in Dublin mountains near three rock so could of been someone out after deer but seemed too loud to be a gunshot
    Did anyone else hear thunder in area or a way of looking up lighting strikes I just don’t get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

catrat12 wrote: »
    Got woken up by a massive bang last night at 3 am the house shook the baby jumped it was unreal
    It was just one bang I checked around the house and attic and can’t see anything
    All I can think is thunder now there was no flash or a continuous bang now I live in Dublin mountains near three rock so could of been someone out after deer but seemed too loud to be a gunshot
    Did anyone else hear thunder in area or a way of looking up lighting strikes I just don’t get it

For what it's worth the netweather lightning archive doesn't have any strikes for 3am today. I don't know that that rules it out.

The radar shows light showers and no sferics showing up at around that time catrat12.

xoisu3k.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

The radar shows light showers and no sferics showing up at around that time catrat12.

xoisu3k.gif
    Cheers
    Actually can’t figure it out
    The only thing left is a poacher and the echo of a gunshot but really was too loud unless using a canon

Going through the models there is a big spread of tracks and timings of LP approaching from the W / NW for Sat night/ Sunday. Will have to see how the models align on this. Some showing it quite wet and windy and with the fast Jet overhead giving lots of shear and vorticity depending on the track, and showing lower down areas of convergence and low level shear. Looking like a possibility of Thundery heavy falls of rain from early Sun morning according to ECM and ICON . High Theta E readings , high dew points . Depends a lot on if the warm air mass is swept aside during Sunday or if it lingers as the day heats up. An interesting one to watch unfold. Next week likewise shows days of interest for convective weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Potential for some huge thunderstorms across the continent next week as well with low pressure digging south. Always interesting enviously watching webcams across Germany/Benelux when they get these events

ECM1-216_yuz0.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I thought today would generate some action for the top half of the country. Unless there has been and I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Possible squall line developing, currently in the East Midlands, moving East.

Interested in the Lp core as it approaches the SW and more so W on Sun evening with a cold upper pool of air and strong vorticity.

Wondering if the topography in the W could aid lift helping to fire off some lightning. Should become clearer tomorrow.

anim_sqr3.gif

anim_gza8.gif

Might see some sferics showing up along Atlantic coasts overnight although low possibility, if they do it will be mostly over the sea.

Tomorrow just a low chance of activity up along the W / NW coasts and again if there is lightning it will be mostly over the sea I reckon.

• Advertisement

Thinking might see thunderstorms develop with heavy rain in the area shaded this evening.

MeXYPUr.png

7aJSxcf.png

Advertisement