Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blackrock Boys engage in some of the greatest horseplay of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

And that's why they succeed.

Some of them also succeed because they deserve to succeed. Others succeed because nepotism is endemic in the private sector. But mostly they succeed because for various reasons the odds are greatly stacked in their favour.

A major problem in lower socioeconomical areas is that kids are told by people that the system wants you to fail and everybody is against you.

That’s precisely my point though, Blackrock College teaches it’s students that they are better than other people and better than other schools. The snobbery is endemic in the school and it’s students.

”We are rich, we are cool, we are Blackrock and we rule.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Some of them also succeed because they deserve to succeed. Others succeed because nepotism is endemic in the private sector. But mostly they succeed because for various reasons the odds are greatly stacked in their favour.

That’s precisely my point though, Blackrock College teaches it’s students that they are better than other people and better than other schools. The snobbery is endemic in the school and it’s students.

”We are rich, we are cool, we are Blackrock and we rule.”

Dont know about the snobbery but you are about 15 years out of date with the quote. The collapse of the Celtic tiger did away with a lof of the overt stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mariaalice wrote: »
    Dont know about the snobbery but you are about 15 years out of date with the quote. The collapse of the Celtic tiger did away with a lof of the overt stuff.

I wouldn't call it snobbery per sé. It is drummed into the heads of such people in such establishments (I went to something like one, for my sins) as soon as they are capable of listening that they are the elite, the crème de la crème, that they cannot fail and that society wants, nay needs, them to succeed. Compare and contrast with the whole modus operandum, the whole atmosphere, of a lot of schools in the, shall we say, lower socio-economic strata, with their various bullock's notions designed make people feel better about failing.

This setup does seem to breed two kinds of political animal, mind you. There's the type that understands that we, the people, are the State and the State we, and if you're not in you're out, and if you don't vote for the right prick, well then the wrong prick will only go and get elected. Then there's the other type, for whom the State is something that exists "up there", in the Cloud presumably, is by of and for other people, and sort of sits there plotting against them and Doing Things(TM) to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jimgoose wrote: »
    I haven’t been hit that hord since the night I walked into Clohessy’s in Limerick and shouted, “Mint juleps all round!”

You should try asking for a latté in the same place. They you're REALLY hord!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Someone should tell these twats that being molested in the shower by your teacher doesn't count but on the general topic all of these prospective Fine Gaelers should be drowned in buckets of their own piss.

Relax the head virgin!

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Don’t see anything wrong with it, myself. Just a few lads blowing off a bit of “steam” while on holidays.

There’s a lot worse they could be getting up to.

Hahaha, I don't think it's anything to do with what they're doing......
    It's about the poshness/accents and the fact that they think downing a few pints in a pool is peak excitement on a lads holiday.... hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    No you are most definitely wrong. I actually quite like culchies, I have slowly come to accept them over time. It is not really a chip on the shoulder type of thing.

But McCreavy was overlooked with the decentralisation plan, very unfortunate for everyone really.

As I said culchies are fine, it is the climbing, settling ones that move up to the big smoke, they are the problem, they are the ones that phucked everything up.

It is all their fault in fairness, their school choices are elementary after that.

You really should not be giving RTE any credit for the accent, you're reaching too far there pal. Giving RTE credit for anything is not advised, they really don't deserve it.

As I said the accent was developed by ambitious young female culchie types, who wanted rich husbands.
    Are you not from Longford? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Most of their parents are rich culchies who were born on farms and small towns and sent, " up to Dublin to get a job" , believe.

The accent is as much a piss take on their culture if anything, it is an identity thing. It cuts out the crap when they meet strangers. It is mostly put on.

Their mothers all started the accent thing when they first got off the train at Heuston back in the 80's and 90's. They started smothering their thick culchie brogues with their new posh south side Dublin accents. They did this to enable them to attract any middle class Doctors, Lawyers and Accountants they were trying to catch and start families with.

In fairness those poor lads never had a chance really... They're basically mongrels. Even worse they could be full culchies trying to be south side Dubs, not good. This can go very wrong when their rich professional culchie parents settled somewhere on the Northside and are sending their son to Booterstown on the Dort. Identity crises can develop which can lead to mental issues.

If anything the accent is a form of group and social tectonics. A bit like when scrotes wear English soccer jerseys, it helps them have a sense of belonging.

When you try to make a serious point but keep referring to people as "culchies" -a term many consider a pejorative word for a rural dweller and a synonym for an unsophisticated country person- then it's hard to take you or what you say seriously. As another poster has already said, "you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about this", which probably informs your conclusions.

I can't tell you why that accent developed since I haven't studied it or paid much attention to it. There may be some truth in what you're saying but it's also woefully simplistic and ignores local influences, TV, radio and social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Vita nova wrote: »
    When you try to make a serious point but keep referring to people as "culchies" -a term many consider a pejorative word for a rural dweller and a synonym for an unsophisticated country person- then it's hard to take you or what you say seriously. As another poster has already said, "you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about this", which probably informs your conclusions.

I can't tell you why that accent developed since I haven't studied it or paid much attention to it. There may be some truth in what you're saying but it's also woefully simplistic and ignores local influences, TV, radio and social media.

Culchie isn’t an insulting word. And I say that as a bacon and cabbage munching mucksavage who uses a bit of rope to keep my trousers up.

Neither are mullagh, bog trotter, yokel, bumpkin, hick, bog man, son of the soil, lummox, mucksavage, or backwoodsman.

Culchie isn’t an insulting word. And I say that as a bacon and cabbage munching mucksavage who uses a bit of rope to keep my trousers up.

Neither are mullagh, bog trotter, yokel, bumpkin, hick, bog man, son of the soil, lummox, mucksavage, or backwoodsman.

You forgot woollyback. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Audio's hardly real, though? Just because the video is, doesn't mean the audio is, video's harmless but the audio very much sounds like a deliberate skit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭tritium

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm sure Oisín and Christian are blubbering in angst at the thought of the sub-100K crowd slagging them. The housecat can mock the lion, but that doesn't turn his purr into a roar.

While I don’t disagree with the sentiment, I think talking about the sub 100k crowd gives them an out for their pathetic attempts to shame these lads, as though it’s somehow a class or privilege thing and hence justified. These are basically school kids for ****s sake, guilty of nothing but being young and having fun but folk on an Internet forum think they’re fair game. The sad thing is many of the posters doing the sneering are so quick in other threads to defend other groups in the same situation but young boys from the “wrong” class are a group they can’t wait to stick the boot into. Shame on them for their hypocrisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It’s embarrassing on many levels. Change the accents to an Essex or London cockney accent and you’d see many opinions here change.

That’s how bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

It’s embarrassing on many levels. Change the accents to an Essex or London cockney accent and you’d see many opinions here change.

That’s how bad it is.

I'm as far from a south dub as you can get - from the countryside in Kerry and went to a normal school, folks had no real wealth, etc.

However I just dont see what the issue is with this?

Nearly all groups of young lads carry on this way when on hols with their mates - I get that its a form of reverse snobbery but this is probably one of the ways that this group of lads are most like the rest of young lads around the country.

As an example-when that junior hurling team from Kilkenny had Fifi the stripper at their celebrations last year - most people thought it was gas craic and to be honest if you are looking to be offended then that had much more elements with which to be offended

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Mark Stewart

wiggle16 wrote: »

The video confirms for me that they would wreck my head. I'm liking the short shorts though.... if I were 7 years younger I'd tie one of them up in the bath and "play" with him. Then cut him up into little bits and send him to his family one morsel at a time.

Calm down there Jeffrey Dahmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dotsman wrote: »
    This is one big non-story.

Group of 18 year old guys play a drinking game while on holiday.

People with massive chip on their shoulder try to make the story go viral because it is somehow controversial??? wtf???

The only story here is how boring they are. Swim, down a pint, swim back. Can they not imagine anything better to do on Koh Samui?

I'm as far from a south dub as you can get - from the countryside in Kerry and went to a normal school, folks had no real wealth, etc.

However I just dont see what the issue is with this?

Nearly all groups of young lads carry on this way when on hols with their mates - I get that its a form of reverse snobbery but this is probably one of the ways that this group of lads are most like the rest of young lads around the country.

As an example-when that junior hurling team from Kilkenny had Fifi the stripper at their celebrations last year - most people thought it was gas craic and to be honest if you are looking to be offended then that had much more elements with which to be offended

Not offended at all. Just embarrassed.

And confused.

Boards is infested with people constantly complaining about imagined crimes an behaviors of Muslims and immigrants and travelers here yet they're totally ok with Irish lads going overseas and being obnoxious arrogant assholes. But it’s ‘just the bants looks’ and totally ok cos they’re white affluent arseholes from foxrock.
    And the fvckin accents are just painful.
    These people will be in serious jobs soon. It’s unsettling at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sorry I was just finishing my Coddle.

You forgot to say " mucker ".

And confused.

Boards is infested with people constantly complaining about imagined crimes an behaviors of Muslims and immigrants and travelers here yet they're totally ok with Irish lads going overseas and being obnoxious arrogant assholes. But it’s ‘just the bants looks’ and totally ok cos they’re white affluent arseholes from foxrock.

Whiff of focking pov off this.

And confused.

Imagine having this much of a chip on your shoulder.

• Advertisement

Last two posts^^ lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

And confused.

The accents are painful.

I didnt think they were any more or less obnoxious or arrogant than your average group of young lads on a lads holiday.

Not sure what lads jumping into a pool has to do with Muslims, immigrants or travellers - other than maybe you justifying your pointless bias by stating that others have a pointless bias too?

It's an odd leap, pun intended, to make though.
    As I said the stuff seemed fairly harmless-what do you expect young lads to be doing when they are on holidays together? Saying the rosary?

These people will be in serious jobs soon? You are losing the plot now - they swam, drank a pint and swam back.
    It's not exactly psychopathic behaviour - I'm not overly worried about most of these guys entering the workplace if this is the most devious thing that they have been up to.

I work in a large enough office - there's lads in their 50's from all over the country who are upto worse and drinkin more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

HiGlo wrote: »
    Hahaha, I don't think it's anything to do with what they're doing......
    It's about the poshness/accents and the fact that they think downing a few pints in a pool is peak excitement on a lads holiday.... hahaha

So it would be better if they looted a Lidl for booze and drank the proceeds in a field before riding stolen scooters around a housing estate

The accents are painful.

I didnt think they were any more or less obnoxious or arrogant than your average group of young lads on a lads holiday.

Not sure what lads jumping into a pool has to do with Muslims, immigrants or travellers - other than maybe you justifying your pointless bias by stating that others have a pointless bias too?

It's an odd leap, pun intended, to make though.
    As I said the stuff seemed fairly harmless-what do you expect young lads to be doing when they are on holidays together? Saying the rosary?

Take your point. I’m more confused about the reaction to it on here. By the usually perpetually agreived when it comes to all things Muslim/immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

mullagh, bog trotter, yokel, bumpkin, hick, bog man, son of the soil, lummox, mucksavage, or backwoodsman.

I remember him he was a great big lumbering brute.
    Lummox Lewis I believe he was called

Last two posts^^ lol

And? I called out a mod for his disgusting 'joke' (which would not be tolerated if it were aimed at young women) and your own miserable post.

And? I called out a mod for his disgusting 'joke' (which would not be tolerated if it were aimed at young women) and your own miserable post.

You registered here today and all 5 of your posts are on this topic.

Let’s just let that tell it’s own tale.

Are you your man with the phones da here to defend him??

Oh please be him. That would be delicious

You registered here today and all 5 of your posts are on this topic.

Let’s just let that tell it’s own tale.

Again, so what? Why did you not call out the mod?

Why are you so annoyed about a group of young lads having fun on holidays? Because they have more money than you?

• Advertisement

Are you your man with the phones da here to defend him??

Oh please be him. That would be delicious

Why does a group of young lads having fun on holidays bother you so much?

Advertisement