Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for the comments. :) It was 65 this morning. I've a bit of a wave of nausea on me today, plus tiredness and a meeting tonight that many are dropping out from. Par for the course there. My voice is a little better. I'll wear the watch a little more, whilst remembering it's merely a tool. Low was 51 earlier (and over 100 at times, though), possibly when I was resting which was more horizontal than actual sleep. Hopefully things will subside soon as I really want to get back running next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Hi folks, I do a bit of coaching and running and thinking of getting a watch. What's the Garmin forerunner like.?. Its second hand. I'd just like it for measuring the distance ran as we're cross country, and train in different fields. I'm not always sure of the kms on the night. TIA for any info

Just checked there its a Garmin 15. Would it be too dated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I've a Forerunner 35 and it's great..

Thanks zippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Forerunner 15 captures essential stats from your run like time, distance and pace

should be fine so

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right thread but I'll give it a shot. What I'd like to know is if it's feasible to run my first ever full marathon 11 weeks after running a half? Running a full has always been an ambition but wanted to run at least 2-3 halfs first. I'd like to run the Tralee half on March 14th 2020, and then possibly run the Cork full marathon on May 31st. In Tralee I'd be aiming for sub 1.30, but in Cork I'd be more aiming just to finish the race, although ideally in sub 3.20.

Not sure how relevant it is, but I've just set a new half pb of 1:30.41 (hence wanting to go sub 1.30 in Tralee), which was my second ever half and over nine minutes faster than my first a year previously. Most full marathon training plans that I've seen online tend to be 16-20 weeks in length, but having trained for the half (and probably taking a week off to recover after) I imagine I'd be able to start a few weeks into any such plan as I obviously wouldn't be starting from scratch. So is it doable, or too much of a stretch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right thread but I'll give it a shot. What I'd like to know is if it's feasible to run my first ever full marathon 11 weeks after running a half? Running a full has always been an ambition but wanted to run at least 2-3 halfs first. I'd like to run the Tralee half on March 14th 2020, and then possibly run the Cork full marathon on May 31st. In Tralee I'd be aiming for sub 1.30, but in Cork I'd be more aiming just to finish the race, although ideally in sub 3.20.

Not sure how relevant it is, but I've just set a new half pb of 1:30.41 (hence wanting to go sub 1.30 in Tralee), which was my second ever half and over nine minutes faster than my first a year previously. Most full marathon training plans that I've seen online tend to be 16-20 weeks in length, but having trained for the half (and probably taking a week off to recover after) I imagine I'd be able to start a few weeks into any such plan as I obviously wouldn't be starting from scratch. So is it doable, or too much of a stretch?

Go for it.

I'm assuming if you're running ~90 mins for the half that you're doing a decent bit of mileage anyway (?).

If you're targeting/prioritizing the marathon then maybe going balls out for the half isn't the best idea but it'll be a good chance to run at pace leading up to the big day.

The marathon is a big step up no doubt but you'll be well able.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

It's doable for sure. Mightn't be ideal, but 11 weeks is a fair gap. The only thing is, if you really race the Half that's a week of rest/recovery afterwards really, so another week gone..... Try to do a few mid to high 20s km runs (26/28) in prep for the Half so that when you turn to the Full prep you're not jumping from say 18 or 20k to 30 suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Why don't you train for the full, follow a 16-20 week plan, and do the half during the full marathon training? Some plans will have races penciled in as tune-up races anyhow. If it doesn't i'm sure you'll get advice here on how to work it into the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Did my long run (10 miles) on Wednesday a bit too fast (for me) but grand happy it's done didn't feel great after it.

Since then I've had a pain on the sole of my left foot. Towards the front and in the middle. Feels tender like it could be bruised. Is that what plantar fasciitis feels like? I'm worried now this will set my marathon training back. I skipped my run on Friday and not going to run until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've developed a bit of stiffness in my Achilles tendon that I only feel when I'm running. More an annoyance atm than anything more serious. Anyone have similar and recommend any mobility exercises for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Heel drops every day. Do one foot at a time. 3 x 10 to start working up to 3 x 15. YouTube the correct way to do them cause that's important. When the pain goes keep doing them. I do them twice a week now with weight just to keep the achilles happy

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thanks for all the comments/advice everyone. I'll take it easy over the next two/three weeks or so and then make a decision on what I'll aim for.
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Go for it.

I'm assuming if you're running ~90 mins for the half that you're doing a decent bit of mileage anyway (?).

If you're targeting/prioritizing the marathon then maybe going balls out for the half isn't the best idea but it'll be a good chance to run at pace leading up to the big day.

The marathon is a big step up no doubt but you'll be well able.

Started my half marathon training a bit late and generally only ran about 4 days a week, peaking with 35 mile-weeks. So I'd obviously need to run more to step up to a full marathon, and certainly over at least 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone here Galway based able to tell me what's the story with the Athletics track in NUIG? I see there is also a 400m track at West Side Park? Are they open to the public for use on Saturday afternoons? And how much do they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

AllForIt wrote: »
    I've developed a bit of stiffness in my Achilles tendon that I only feel when I'm running. More an annoyance atm than anything more serious. Anyone have similar and recommend any mobility exercises for it?

Pick up a slant board for stetching, cheap enough on Amazon, or if you are handy you could knock one together

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Hi,

track in westside is free at all times.

The NUIG or the regional sports centre as it is correctly called, should be booked, tri club and various athletic clubs use it at certain times.

The gate is often open and people do just drop in and use, but only in ones or twos, not sure how a group would be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

Is using a treadmill for marathon training okay for doing a run or two a week if I can't get out on the road due to bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Is using a treadmill for marathon training okay for doing a run or two a week if I can't get out on the road due to bad weather?

No issue with it but get out on the road, pretty much no such thing as weather bad enough to force you onto a treadmill.

You're training for a marathon not a pillow fight.

What if it's howling wind and sideways rain come marathon day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's better than not running, but not as good as running on the road.

What if there's bad weather on race day?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Ice is the only thing that should stop you from running, all other weather is character building!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

Lazare wrote: »
    No issue with it but get out on the road, pretty much no such thing as weather bad enough to force you onto a treadmill.

You're training for a marathon not a pillow fight.

What if it's howling wind and sideways rain come marathon day?
    In fairness, he said 1 or 2 days a week, absolutely nothing wrong with it, in fact as we get older it's far more forgiving on the joints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Perfectly ok. Absolutely nothing wrong with using a treadmill. Great way to do interval or tempo sessions. Wouldn't use one for a long run mind but when used correctly it can be a great addition to ones training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Obv there's nothing wrong with using a treadmill, nobody suggested that.

I do think shying away from tough running conditions is a problem when training for a tough event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

I’m thinking of doing a few of the BHAA cross country runs in the new year. I don’t own any spikes, so wondering would trail runners be ok as I already have a couple of pairs. I won’t be at the fast end of the field so not going to invest unless it’s pretty much essential or I start taking it a lot more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I’m thinking of doing a few of the BHAA cross country runs in the new year. I don’t own any spikes, so wondering would trail runners be ok as I already have a couple of pairs. I won’t be at the fast end of the field so not going to invest unless it’s pretty much essential or I start taking it a lot more seriously.
    Get spikes. You can pick up a pair online for less than €50. If the ground is mostly dry, trail shoes won't do any harm, but if it's wet (or the course is just mucky), you're going to struggle

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

You can get them even cheaper that €50 I'd say!

I run a few XC races a year & I got my spikes in Decathlon in France a few years ago for €30 and they're grand! I think they have some on sale on the Irish site now too. Spikes will last you years as you don't wear them that much. I wear mine for XC races and for speed sessions on the grass in winter and they're fine.

(I'm not winning races in them or anything, but I don't think I can blame that on the spikes :))

Are XC races coming back into fashion. The use to be very popular but numbers in races are well back on say 20 years ago. I find them far more enjoyable to run in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I passed a guy running a cross country in football boots once!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Murph_D wrote: »
    I passed a guy running a cross country in football boots once!

Some of the regulars at Millom parkrun in Cumbria wear football boots as it is so muddy!

Advertisement