Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of owning and operating a bus?

Options
  • 11-03-2021 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there, to those in the know, how much would it cost me to get a bus tour company up and running?

I have to get the d licence, already have a C rigid truck licence and have operated trucks up to 18t/23t, over 30 ft in length so I feel that a bus would be pretty much similar to drive.

My plan is to start with a medium sized bus for tours around Ireland but with a difference.

What would I be looking at, money wise, with regards psv fees, bus driving licence, mid end bus in terms of price, Insurance etc.?

Any info appreciated, thanks in advance 👠☺️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

My friends ex husband did tour work and it's beyond a hard graft.

It will cost you fortunes and a lot of personal sacrifices along the way. Buses themselves cost six figures to get a vehicle that is suitable for tour work and come with a lot of maintaining them to touring standards. And if it's VIP work then, again, that'll cost you more than say school.

And the running costs are huge. Things like servicing your air con units; tyres need to changed every 6-8 weeks (size tyres at €300+ a wheel.); fuel, servicing, vehicle insurance; valeting (One puker or even chewing gum on a seat and your bus is off the road for a few days.) and washing;

Then there are practical issues. Like having a fleet of reliable drivers nationwide who will work for you for days on end; access to spare drivers and tour guides; knowing where to get a spare bus when (And not if.) yours is off the road for any reason; having reliable sources of work and especially in the off season; networking with venues, hotels and tourist attractions and other operators. Your diet and family life and hobbies will go out the window. It's a hell of a lot to take on board.

You'd be best off to get the licences and then go out and get working and to learn from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Would it not be better to get the d licence and work for a company doing tours or even another bus operator that does non tour in order to build up some experience before jumping in at the deep end and setting up your own business.

I don't know much about the tour business myself so I'm not the person to ask but generally in most businesses I would have thought gaining insight and experience into a sector is a generally a wise move before setting up your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My father ran a small bus company for about 35 years doing what you're talking about. He kept about 3 buses on the road, different sizes and all decent enough machines.

He was never a rich man. I hardly seen him as a child. In the end when he retired due to ill health the big companies had muscled the smaller guys out of the market years previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

Thank you for the replies, yes there is a lot to consider for sure.

The difference here I believe is that my business idea consists of 2 parts, the bus is really only to get my customers to and from the destination/s, the main earner for me will be the other side, forgive me for not wanting to give away my business idea 💡

So, say for me to own and opera one medium size bus, leaving the price of the bus aside, how much money would I be talking in terms of all the other expenses.

I feel that this would be more of a side earner for me/complimenting my other business and there is likely no way that this bus is going to be on the road 7 days a week, more like 2 to 3 days during peak season (if that ever returns).

Cheaper to hire another company for those 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

novaboy80 wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies, yes there is a lot to consider for sure.

The difference here I believe is that my business idea consists of 2 parts, the bus is really only to get my customers to and from the destination/s, the main earner for me will be the other side, forgive me for not wanting to give away my business idea 💡

So, say for me to own and opera one medium size bus, leaving the price of the bus aside, how much money would I be talking in terms of all the other expenses.

I feel that this would be more of a side earner for me/complimenting my other business and there is likely no way that this bus is going to be on the road 7 days a week, more like 2 to 3 days during peak season (if that ever returns).

Sorry to be blunt op but you appear to be extremely naive when it comes to setting up this business. The above posters have given good insight and advice, I'd be paying attention. My father spent many years driving for various tour operators and I can tell you that one bus is not going to work out for you unless your side business is absolutely unique and incredibly lucrative. It's a cut throat business and without a solid background in it your on a hiding to nothing.

Sorry to be blunt op but you appear to be extremely naive when it comes to setting up this business. The above posters have given good insight and advice, I'd be paying attention. My father spent many years driving for various tour operators and I can tell you that one bus is not going to work out for you unless your side business is absolutely unique and incredibly lucrative. It's a cut throat business and without a solid background in it your on a hiding to nothing.

Yes good advice received alright, for which I am grateful, but I have not received any figures, estimates, approximately it will cost you this much, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

novaboy80 wrote: »
    Yes good advice received alright, for which I am grateful, but I have not received any figures, estimates, approximately it will cost you this much, etc.

You're not going to get any advice like that because you haven't outlined your business model or exactly what you intend to do as a side business. You're asking for the impossible. A bus, depending on age, size, condition etc can cost anywhere from 10 grand up to 400 grand. What exactly are you hoping to do with your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joe923947

Before running business
    Bus cost
    Parking coast
    Repair + serivce cost
    Doe + doe (2nd time) costs
    Lpsv test costs
    Operation licences costs
    Accounting cost
    Company registration cost
    Insurance cost
    Tax

After running business
    Running costs
    Hire drivers + repair man cost
    Connections with agents
    Connections with other companies
    Connections with spare bus.
    Connections with hotel
    ....... 10 more surprising cost

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I remember doing some back of beer mat calcs years back relating to the bus company who used to take me to college - they used to run nearly new coaches.
    Taking drivers, fuel and approx cost of the coaches, a couldnt see how they were making any money - add in buses sitting, breakdowns, maintenance, holiday pay, insurances and id say its a tough tough business.
    Buying a bus to only intend to run it 2 to 3 days a week would seem like lunacy.
    Id go to a bus operator, do a deal for the steady 3 runs per week for a month or so and go from there.
    If nothing else, it should ease start up costs and majorly reduce your risk.
    I think if the bus part is only the side activity of this business, you will have enough to occupy you with getting the main activity up and running and possibly offer a better product if you are not taken up with driving the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Become a guide. They make trillions in tips

Thanks to you all for your replies and good advice, you've painted me a very realistic picture, it would probably be best for me to hire a bus and driver to cover that side of things and include the cost of thr service in my charge to the customers, leaving me the extra time to concentrate on the other side of the business. Good advice here from all, thank you.

Advertisement