Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail fleet and infrastructure plans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,701 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

IE 222 wrote: »
    Speaking of sidings, was there ever a purpose other than been sidings for the 2 on the short arch beside the Newcome curve.

they used to park commuter trains there before departing from P7, but I haven't seen them used for a long time (actually there's an Intercity and a Commuter parked there in the Google aerial view, not sure when that's from).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

L1011 wrote: »
    That's the already under construction Royal Canal Greenway

Didn't know that was been developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

loyatemu wrote: »
    they used to park commuter trains there before departing from P7, but I haven't seen them used for a long time (actually there's an Intercity and a Commuter parked there in the Google aerial view, not sure when that's from).

It's still used as far I know. Was it built for that purpose though?

It's still used as far I know. Was it built for that purpose though?

can't think what else it would be for - it's not the remnant of an old line AFAIK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't know that was been developed.

Started 6-8 weeks ago I believe. Will make a massive reduction in the pedestrian and cycle distance from North Strand to Sheriff Street there and assuming it's appropriately lit will probably be heavily used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Apparently heavy rail renewal/maintenance in 2019 will see spend of almost €200 million up 23% on 2018.

Meanwhile Anthony Lawlor (FG Kildare North) thinks quad tracking needs to be extended from Hazelatch to Kildare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hopefully spent primarily on addressing TSRs on core routes and/or 50kmh sections on branch routes.

Lawlor is a Senator, he represents no constituency legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hopefully spent primarily on addressing TSRs on core routes and/or 50kmh sections on branch routes.

Lawlor is a Senator, he represents no constituency legally.

What's TSR?
    (and which lines currently with a 50 limit would be economic to upgrade?)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's TSR?

Temporary Speed Restriction

So far there hasn't been anything major I can think of this year. Few points renewals on Cork, Dublin-Cork basalt cleaning, Limerick J platform, Glassnavin Relay/wiring and some of that could have been the standard yearly budget.

Interesting to see any anything major happens towards end of the year but wouldn't expect much.

Basic infrastructure such as points heaters rolled out across the network would be a start. How quad tracking at Heuston doesn't have them shows how careless those in charge are. It was the main reason during the snow last year they only worked the up/down fast lines for all services causing unnecessary disruption to customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So far there hasn't been anything major I can think of this year. Few points renewals on Cork, Dublin-Cork basalt cleaning, Limerick J platform, Glassnavin Relay/wiring and some of that could have been the standard yearly budget.

Interesting to see any anything major happens towards end of the year but wouldn't expect much.

Basic infrastructure such as points heaters rolled out across the network would be a start. How quad tracking at Heuston doesn't have them shows how careless those in charge are. It was the main reason during the snow last year they only worked the up/down fast lines for all services causing unnecessary disruption to customers.

I belive a new bridge for Carlow is due this summer, wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of the works like this starting to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I belive a new bridge for Carlow is due this summer

Is this a new footbridge (with lifts) in the station, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

tabbey wrote: »
    Is this a new footbridge (with lifts) in the station, or something else?

Should be postponed since the downturn and badly needed to allow disabled access to platform 2

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Did i hear there is a 10 year plan to electrify the main routes and to buy 60 new carriages?

I only got a few seconds of it on matt cooper last week.

Did i hear there is a 10 year plan to electrify the main routes and to buy 60 new carriages?

I only got a few seconds of it on matt cooper last week.

Electrify to Drogheda, Maynooth and Hazelhatch.

600 new carriages (some of these are replacements for the original Dart fleet which will be retired).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Any further timetable improvements coming down the track?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

They've been talking about electrification of the west and far north since I was in early secondary school.

They've announced plans at least three times that I remember.
    They never seem to get around to actually doing it

Government signed off on new Control Center at Heuston. Will replace Connolly and open in early 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Qrt

Government signed off on new Control Center at Heuston. Will replace Connolly and open in early 2024.

How old is the centre in Connolly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Qrt wrote: »
    How old is the centre in Connolly?

Built in the 1970s and it was extended in the early 1980s for the DART system.

Has to go to make way for the redevelopment. Group IT moved to Heuston already

Has to go to make way for the redevelopment. Group IT moved to Heuston already

Which re-development is that at Connolly?

Connolly one will be used as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Which re-development is that at Connolly?

The "Connolly Quarter" development, which has been in planning since 2008 and finally due to start soon.

Connolly one will be used as a backup.

No it won't, it will eventually be demolished and is part of the final phase of Connolly Quarter I believe.

Here's artists impressions of the final plan, as you can see any trace of the old CTC or the car park will be gone:-

Connelly_Quarter_4_Pascall_Watson_4_3_V2.jpg

Connelly_Quarter_2_Pascall_Watson_4_3_1.jpg

GM228 wrote: »
    The "Connolly Quarter" development, which has been in planning since 2008 and finally due to start soon.

No it won't, it will eventually be demolished and is part of the final phase of Connolly Quarter I believe.

Here's artists impressions of the final plan, as you can see any trace of the old CTC or the car park will be gone:-

Connelly_Quarter_4_Pascall_Watson_4_3_V2.jpg

Connelly_Quarter_2_Pascall_Watson_4_3_1.jpg

Interesting never knew there were such plans.

Irish Times indicate Connolly will be a backup:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-135m-rail-control-centre-planned-for-heuston-station-1.3960614
    Irish Rail’s existing control centre in Connolly Station is nearing the end of its life, but will become a national back-up in time

It's absolutely not being kept. They got permission for an earlier development years ago that also knocked it

It's absolutely not being kept. They got permission for an earlier development years ago that also knocked it

Perhaps not but they plan to develop a backup facility. Hard to see a back up in the same building or outside Dublin so either they have agreed terms for getting rid of the old one and incorporating a new one into construction or will have it in somewhere like Inchicore.

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/projects-investment/national-train-control-centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Perhaps not but they plan to develop a backup facility. Hard to see a back up in the same building or outside Dublin so either they have agreed terms for getting rid of the old one and incorporating a new one into construction or will have it in somewhere like Inchicore.

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/projects-investment/national-train-control-centre

Most of the systems controlled by CTC already have back up systems located off site (some are on site), the back up systems for the entire suburban system will eventually be in a separate building near the old shed in Connolly, the building was built a few years ago as part of the first phase of the CCRP and already holds some back up panels for Dublin North, Dublin Central and Docklands, the final phase of the CCRP will see more back ups integrated into this location.

Whilst it is a separate building it is considered to be a part of CTC.

Presume your referring to ECPs as the offsite ops currently.

• Advertisement

€1bn announced between 2020-2024 to "maintain" existing infrastructure. Most will be used on:
    * Bridge Renewals.
    * Level Crossing Upgrades.
    * DART Points Renewals and OHLE.
    * Track renewal and ballast (in this order) Cork, Belfast, DART and Galway routes.
    * Signalling renewals on Cork, Port-Athlone, Cherryville-Waterford and Malahide-Dundalk.

Limited funds for lightly used lines i.e Limerick branches and Rosslare

https://assets.gov.ie/41983/0dacd748329049bba8ce37b4f97d755a.pdf

Advertisement