Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tractor importing

• 21-11-2017 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Looking to import a tractor (New Holland or Case) from either the UK or Europe.

There is value in the UK with the current favourable exchange rate and lower UK 20% tax rate (not VAT registered) but there appears to be much better value in Europe.

Has anyone imported from Europe as I have never heard of anyone in southern Ireland doing this .... ? Is there a catch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I was,like yourself,looking further afield to Germany/France, even Denmark, to import a tractor as prices are good. After a fair bit of research I couldn't see any reason not to buy. The biggest outlay besides buying the tractor was going to be transport. I was getting prices of anything between 1200 and 1900 from Nuremberg. The paperwork side of things seemed the same as a UK import.
    I have a habit of waiting until around Christmas to buy stuff when things are cheaper. You may find like I did that there are a few bargains to be had here in Ireland around this time of year.
    Good luck with the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brenl

I assume the warranty (if any) is the same as the UK import?

Manufacturers warranty does transfer through EU borders but that wasn't bothering me as I was down in the 2010-2012 bracket. Any garage warranty from the UK on a second hand tractor wouldn't be very broad. It covers the main things for a very limited period with the cost of transportation being incurred by you should the worst happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

I had the same thought myself, be as handy get a tractor on the boat in france in rosslare or cork..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ben72

Hi. What web sites would ye use to source tractors around Europe. Looking for something around €10,000 _ 4 wheel drive with front loader. Just for general farm work. Am checking UK at the minute and just wondering if thete is better value further a field. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 brenl

You sound like you are looking into the same deal as I am ...
    farmandplant.ie
    farm.autotrader.co.uk
    tractorhouse.ie/listings/farm-machinery/for-sale/category/1100/tractors

There does appear to be better value in Europe but more work in viewing it and transporting it over. There appears to be the same paperwork for clearance as the UK, but double check for yourself.

Agriaffaires and mascus are two more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Dealer near me brought in a few New Hollands from France this year, he said it was a great success. One additional cost to factor in is the hitch - AFAIK mainland European tractors won't have a Dromone-type PUH fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 colm.egan90

hi i was just wondering what are the savings on a tractor wort €15000 in mainland europe how much extra is it worth here in or around

thanks thinking about buying a cs case out of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

hi i was just wondering what are the savings on a tractor wort €15000 in mainland europe how much extra is it worth here in or around

thanks thinking about buying a cs case out of europe

I dont k ow the savings but id imagine you'd get a much cleaner tractor out of France due to the better Climate, less rain no salt on roads etc.. Plus your dealing in euro so its very easy value it, as of lafe the fluctuation in Sterling a good price today could be expensive in a fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 tractors240

Wouldnt there be a language barrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Wouldnt there be a language barrier?

No. All tractors speak a common language....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDHzK3Xe7Yw :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 romio76

Did any one imported from China?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are you talking about a Chinese branded machine? If so, I looked into it. Not worth it. Price is not all that much cheaper when everything factored in than a budget brand from local dealer (Armatrac, etc) which will have warranty etc. You'd also lose hand over fist in depreciation. We are now looking at second hand machines.

The tractor sellers in China on sites such as Alibaba are more geared towards selling to dealers who will be buying multiple machines. That being said, their smaller garden type tractors are okay. Many are imported into UK/EU and rebadged with whatever branding the importer wants to put on them.

When I first contacted them, they wanted to know how many I wanted. Cost of shipping can be high too. I don't think they are there yet with mainstream farm sized tractors, so best avoided for the foreseeable future in my opinion. We are now looking at second hand Masseys as they are very popular and they won't depreciate much if you take care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

Well Lads

The biggest and best exporter from france and probably in europe is SAS Nauleau. https://www.agriaffaires.pro/fr/nauleau-sarl. the 2 birther that run it are fast and efficient at exporting tractors and a lot of the ones you see for sale used in ireland come from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ramboraf

Looking to import a 42 yr old tractor from uk to southern ireland for own use on holiday home farm land not to ever go on road use ,is the process simplified and exempt from vrt and nct inspection and registration taxes ? Thank in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slivebloom

what are the charges for importing?

VAT is 23% ? do you pay the irish vat rate of 23% or English VAT rate of 20% .

What about customs and other fees?

Advertisement