Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmond Grand Hibernian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

One wonders was it made that way to retain the very good crash tolerance record of the Mk3 design. Any more modifications may have compromised the structural safety of the design, as it is it only has two doors and one gangway for access. I'm sure they will be strike hammers for at least two of those glass panes at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Extra large targets for stone throwers too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I am sorry to tell you trainspotters that when I am sitting in the back of the observation car with my gin in tonic in hand observing the beauty of the Irish landscape pass behind me, neither I nor my fellow passengers will give a toss that it was once a MK3 thingy ma bob.

Bottoms Up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    I am sorry to tell you trainspotters that when I am sitting in the back of the observation car with my gin in tonic in hand observing the beauty of the Irish landscape pass behind me, neither I nor my fellow passengers will give a toss that it was once a MK3 thingy ma bob.

Bottoms Up!

Brilliant!

Save me a seat!

GM228

As one lucky enough to have travelled from Whitehead/Dublin in the GNRI Directors Saloon No.50 (on an RPSI empty stock working in the early 1980s) - with full bar service for the two (!) of us aboard - my expectations are too high I suppose. The Directors Saloon had an attractive livery too!

3305.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As one lucky enough to have travelled from Whitehead/Dublin in the GNRI Directors Saloon No.50 (on an RPSI empty stock working in the early 1980s) - with full bar service for the two (!) of us aboard - my expectations are too high I suppose. The Directors Saloon had an attractive livery too!

3305.jpg

that is stunning alright. Where is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    that is stunning alright. Where is it now?

Stored RPSI whitehead

Stored RPSI whitehead

What else have we forgot about?

It's an awful shame stuff like that isn't accessible to the public from time to time.

GM228

GM228 wrote: »

It's an awful shame stuff like that isn't accessible to the public from time to time.

GM228

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=3904

3904.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66559841&postcount=17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Unfortunately it won't be on the Rosslare line anytime soon unless the tour itinerary changes for the 2018 season as 2016/2017 seasons are finalised.

GM228
    would need to be 071 hauled too.

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    would need to be 071 hauled too.

Not necessarily, 201s can go to Arklow normally and are cleared to Rosslare in an emerency and have actually done so in the past with freight and passenger services.

This train will most likely see tbe 201 ban to Portrush lifted (still not 100% finalised or else NIR 111s will be used) so IF it ever goes to Rosslare the restrictions may be lifted or at least will be allowed under Belmonds special operating instructions.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not necessarily, 201s can go to Arklow normally and are cleared to Rosslare in an emerency and have actually done so in the past with freight and passenger services.

This train will most likely see tbe 201 ban to Portrush lifted (still not 100% finalised or else NIR 111s will be used) so IF it ever goes to Rosslare the restrictions may be lifted or at least will be allowed under Belmonds special operating instructions.

GM228

Platform issues??

Can't see RSC turning a blind eye.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Platform issues??

Can't see RSC turning a blind eye.

There is no platform issues with MkIIIs.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There is no platform issues with MkIIIs.

GM228

Really so Rosslare platforms can take 7 coach Mark III, Generator and loco?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The platform loop can and the mk3s (at least in the original IE configuration) were permitted to be longer than the platforms they served. Whether that permission carried over when they were converted to sleepers remains to be seen.

No most Rosslare platforms can't handle that long a train, but under grandfather rights they are permitted. If they wanted the RPSI could operate long craven set to Rosslare also under the same rights.

It's run-rounds (and max consist rules) that will determine the lenghts of these types of trains, not the platform lenghts.

GM228

7149 (now a sleeper) is completed and on it's way home!

http://www.wnxx.com/15/1510/231015/7149.htm

Note the new windows which can be opened.

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I assume final finishing will be completed at Inchicore like running numbers and warning panels and maybe some branding logos?

I assume final finishing will be completed at Inchicore like running numbers and warning panels and maybe some branding logos?

That is the plan AFAIK, also needs to be re-united with refurbished bogies aswell. Apparently returning via Belfast.

I believe branding will not be applied until service launch although one carriage may before launch for promotional reasons.

GM228

• Advertisement

As far as I know it is still pretty much as pictured here. It has absolutely no business being in Belturbet anyway - Cultra is the only place for an historical piece of rolling stock like this.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As far as I know it is still pretty much as pictured here. It has absolutely no business being in Belturbet anyway - Cultra is the only place for an historical piece of rolling stock like this.

Indeed, or at least with the RPSI who have the means to restore it!

GM228

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

GM228

RPSI are spending 2 million on a display building starting about now.

A better view of the Belturbet carriage WL&WR 900/465a while awaiting rescue at Claremorris in the early 1980s.

900%2B1%2BAT%2BCLAREMORRIS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Is it still as per the photo and likely to be restored?

I was inside this carriage a few years ago. There's a considerable amount of water damage as a result of a leaky shed in Mallow but otherwise she is structurally fairly sound and with a lot of her original glass and fittings in place. Her running gear wasn't something that I got to inspect but her current home is both dry and free from rising damp.

As regards a new home for her? Well she won't be of any use to Cultra until such time that she undergoes a serious restoration. The RPSI have enough rolling stock of equal importance and significance that needs attention as it is without taking this one on. Even if they did have the resources to hand to restore here, well it's potential to return to traffic is nil; Downpatrick are no more likely to work on or find use for it as well. For now it's safe where it is in Belturbet; lets be thankful for small mercies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Apart from the Aldi and Lidl vouchers I am surprised people still buy the Independent, considering the weak journalism. Great example of a non story re photos:
    http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/first-look-at-irelands-orient-express-carriages-in-refurbishment-34304841.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Customers of the lavish train are expected to be wealthy US, British and continental tourists, rather than domestic rail enthusiasts or Thomas the Tank Engine fans

That really is poor journalism to come out with that kind of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

They don't give a sh1t, they'v been paid to file copy and that's exactly what they'v done; neither does the editor, he probably dos'nt know the difference between a Mk1V and a Craven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

roundymac wrote: »
    They don't give a sh1t, they'v been paid to file copy and that's exactly what they'v done; neither does the editor, he probably dos'nt know the difference between a Mk1V and a Craven.

Yes he does. One's roman numerals while the other presents Newsround :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

roundymac wrote: »
    neither does the editor, he probably dos'nt know the difference between a Mk1V and a Craven.

While I agree with your sentiment, is there any reason the editor of a national newspaper should know the difference?

Advertisement