Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"The Emergency" Local Defence Force records - c. 1940

Options
  • 18-03-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,

My great uncle who was a Franciscan Monk from the age of 25 onward.
    I recently discovered that before joining the OFM, he appears to have been involved with the Local Defense Forces in Gormanstown Camp in 1940 which would have been during WW2 / The Emergency.
    I found this out through an old photo album of his which contains images of him and other lads in military uniform, some with weapons, and some appear to be around a spot light. On the back of all the pictures in Gormanstown Camp 1940

Would anyone know where I would look for information on his time in the forces?
    I emailed the Military Archives but received no reply.

Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I cannot think of anywhere else. Nor would there be much on the record ( if anything), not 'findable' elsewhere. The LDF was a fore-runner of the FCA, a sort of 'Dad's Army'. The Mil. Archives are not very well staffed. It takes time, but on my one interaction I fould them very helpful. FWIW Gormanstown was an Air Corps aerodrome until some years ago. I'd send them a copy of the photo for their records and ask for info again.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Mick Tator wrote: »
    I cannot think of anywhere else. Nor would there be much on the record ( if anything), not 'findable' elsewhere. The LDF was a fore-runner of the FCA, a sort of 'Dad's Army'. The Mil. Archives are not very well staffed. It takes time, but on my one interaction I fould them very helpful. FWIW Gormanstown was an Air Corps aerodrome until some years ago. I'd send them a copy of the photo for their records and ask for info again.

Thanks, I had been meaning on scanning and restoring the photos, some have names on the back so they may definitely be of interest to the archive.
    And yes, perhaps I'll get a response in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Also, I am just presuming he was in the LDF just from a quick google, if there are any other organizations he could have been in it may be of interest

Advertisement