Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Driving Lessons

• 09-10-2020 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi Everyone, I'm looking at taking Bus Lessons and wondering if the process of taking lessons and passing your test is much the same as a Car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It would be the same except you don't have to wait 6 months to get a test date. Usually it's done in 2 hour block lessons average cost being around €120-140. Plus you have to factor in CPC tests. It cost me €1200 to get my Rigid back in 2010. The hardest aspect is getting used to the size of the vehicle, it's a huge difference from driving a car. Road position is completely different plus turning is alot more difficult.

Expensive but worth it if thats what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

Faith+1 wrote: »
    It would be the same except you don't have to wait 6 months to get a test date. Usually it's done in 2 hour block lessons average cost being around €120-140. Plus you have to factor in CPC tests. It cost me €1200 to get my Rigid back in 2010. The hardest aspect is getting used to the size of the vehicle, it's a huge difference from driving a car. Road position is completely different plus turning is alot more difficult.

Expensive but worth it if thats what you want.

Thanks, the guy I'm with charges 65 euro a lesson for the hour. It sounds like some places do 2 hours and others do only one hour.

How many lessons did you have to take before you sat the final test?

I was assuming the same that because I can drive, it's getting used to a large vehicle, mirror checks and mastering going out in the middle of the road and turning. Is there any special moves you have to master in a bus or rigid that you wouldn't really have to do in a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

If I can remember I took 8 2hr lessons and a final pre-test the morning of my test.

The hardest part is the gears as its usually a 4 over 4 gearbox with an up swith to change from high to low gears. Turining and road position are completley different to a car as you always have to go wider to make the turns.

It becomes easier the more practice you get.

Advertisement