Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

August 18 Calls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Maybe im being over cautious. But is anyone else considering hand delivering the forms to recruitment?
    I don't really like the idea of going to any of my local post offices to pay for special delivery with an envelope to "police recruitment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

NiK9 wrote: »
    Maybe im being over cautious. But is anyone else considering hand delivering the forms to recruitment?
    I don't really like the idea of going to any of my local post offices to pay for special delivery with an envelope to "police recruitment".

I don't have one obviously but surely its to go to a po box? Like the vetting forms

I don't have one obviously but surely its to go to a po box? Like the vetting forms

Nope. It goes to "PSNI Recruitment" unfortunatly.

Nope. It goes to "PSNI Recruitment" unfortunatly.
    That's bad foresight in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

I can assure you that your not being over cautious and I will be doing the same. Correspondence has been relatively secure until now but a savvy postperson or sortal worker could already be at their work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Mb91

Nik9, blueline or Faugha - I haven’t received my pack yet, would any of you mind pm’ing me the 4 that are unavailable? To ease my mind lol

Mb91 wrote: »
    Nik9, blueline or Faugha - I haven’t received my pack yet, would any of you mind pm’ing me the 4 that are unavailable? To ease my mind lol

I haven’t either so same detail please if someone wants to PM me a brief outline of what we’ve got. TIA folks

It's says confidential on it sorry guys/ladies. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Anotherhopeful

Hey guys I look forward to seeing you all in the big house! I'm here currently! You'll enjoy every minute mix in with your squad and get some nights out planned in your first few weeks.

The PT is tough but doable and you get given a set training plan

The district allocation is important I'd advice you to pick carefully and pick as many options as possible, I could pick 4 when I joined but only 2 were unavailable. You can also appeal it if you have good grounds for doing so.

The man bun will have to go guys have short hair typically and they will tell you to cut it on inspection if it is too long! Females hair in a bun above collar. And as someone else said if you have a beard prior to entering you must keep it!

This time will fly and before you know it you'll be in the hotel living the dream!

Prepare for the day you put that bottle green uniform on and look in the mirror it's a proud moment!

Congrats though guys and well done!!

Thanks for that pal. Any advice for starting? Bits and pieces to purchase etc? Any info much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Anotherhopeful

Faugha wrote: »
    Thanks for that pal. Any advice for starting? Bits and pieces to purchase etc? Any info much appreciated

You'll be given a list at induction of what to buy you don't really need anything more than what they state.

Enjoy your time when you get here dont be stressed starting everyone is super friendly and talk to the squads above you we all help eachother!

Just enjoy it that's my best advice you can't prepare for it so if you've time off before you start just relax go on holiday or spend it with your family it's an intense 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 16 snickett4

I'm also starting in August, after the waiting it seems to have come around all of the sudden.

Anyone else struggling with district preference?
    I'm alternating wildly between overthinking it and realising it likely won't matter what I put down.
    Does anyone know if your district could potentially alter your future progression I.e. rural districts make it more difficult to get into detective track or bigger districts offering fewer options for promotion due to the number of people?
    I'd like to think it doesn't :/

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Alright folks, had a hectic weekend so only coming round to logging onto this again now. How do we all feel about the district selection available? My top two choices are unavailable and bar one district, it looks like I'll have a bit of a commute on my hands. The problem I face now is, there is 1 district that I favour head and shoulders above all else, is it wise of me to put just this district down as my only preference or am I shafting myself in doing so? Appreciate none of us really know the answer but I'd love to hear some thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hopefulsam

Rossco22 wrote: »
    Alright folks, had a hectic weekend so only coming round to logging onto this again now. How do we all feel about the district selection available? My top two choices are unavailable and bar one district, it looks like I'll have a bit of a commute on my hands. The problem I face now is, there is 1 district that I favour head and shoulders above all else, is it wise of me to put just this district down as my only preference or am I shafting myself in doing so? Appreciate none of us really know the answer but I'd love to hear some thoughts on this?

Hi, im in the same situation myself, there is only one district that would be more practical for a commute. There are two other districts, but either would mean a 2-3 hour round trip. Is it ok to put one choice down?

My third choice isn't available but my top 2 are. I only marked these 2. Don't see a point in marking any others if they all have an equal chance of getting picked.

Called recruitment. You CAN hand deliver the forms to the address in the induction packs :)

Forms dropped in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Blue_Line

Did you just drop the forms into security?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RobertPeel2018

Hi guys! Long time follower of these threads, first time poster... I look forward to meeting you all in August! What's everyone's thoughts on the districts, being stationed, and the prospects of getting any unavailable districts in the future?

Blue_Line wrote: »

Did you just drop the forms into security?

No bud the enquiry office called up, and someone from recruitment came down and collected them from me.

• Advertisement

Hi guys! Long time follower of these threads, first time poster... I look forward to meeting you all in August! What's everyone's thoughts on the districts, being stationed, and the prospects of getting any unavailable districts in the future?

You have to do 3 years in a district before youre able to apply for a move. But again it depends on operational needs etc.

NiK9 wrote:
    You have to do 3 years in a district before youre able to apply for a move. But again it depends on operational needs etc.

What's your opinion on the different districts? Had a read through all of their descriptions, none of them I would turn down... I'm just praying for not too lengthy a commute! Really not at all worried about where I'm placed, just very happy with being able to get one at all

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

My third choice isn't available but my top 2 are. I only marked these 2. Don't see a point in marking any others if they all have an equal chance of getting picked.
    Yea I agree, I think I'll follow that logic and just put one down and hope for the best! What about the option to bring a guest? Anyone going to take advantage of that and bring someone along in the evening?

NiK9 wrote:

What's your opinion on the different districts? Had a read through all of their descriptions, none of them I would turn down... I'm just praying for not too lengthy a commute! Really not at all worried about where I'm placed, just very happy with being able to get one at all

2 of the 4 that wernt available I wouldn't have picked anyway cause I live slap bang in middle. One of the others was my third. And 4th would have been too far to travel.
    With the road system in NI it's very difficult to drive long distance in a reasonable amount of time. I'd rather travel further but have better roads than have to city travel only a dozen or so miles at 30mph lol. There is only a couple of districts I would strongly appeal. Such as enniskillen. For me that's a 4 hour round trip lol.

Yea I agree, I think I'll follow that logic and just put one down and hope for the best! What about the option to bring a guest? Anyone going to take advantage of that and bring someone along in the evening?

I asked the partner if they wanted to go and they said no lol

NiK9 wrote:
    2 of the 4 that wernt available I wouldn't have picked anyway cause I live slap bang in middle. One of the others was my third. And 4th would have been too far to travel. With the road system in NI it's very difficult to drive long distance in a reasonable amount of time. I'd rather travel further but have better roads than have to city travel only a dozen or so miles at 30mph lol. There is only a couple of districts I would strongly appeal. Such as enniskillen. For me that's a 4 hour round trip lol.

Definitely in agreement with you on that one, it is difficult enough. However, all 4 of the areas would have been my top 4... So a little unfortunate, but I wouldn't mind a small commute if it means somewhere within a reasonable distance for me. Just hope after the 3 years something opens up for me!

UPDATED TO 25/06/18 :
    August 2018 Boardies:
    • GW88
    • Rossco22
    • Nik9
    • Faugha
    • Mb91
    • TheBigLight
    • Idngal18
    • Stillwaiting10
    • Lookff
    • Blue_Line
    • Hopefulsam
    • Ktrsd
    • Snickett4
    • RobertPeel2018

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Scoobydoo26

Hi folks, looking forward to meeting you all in August. Are there many of you going to be staying residential?

Hi folks, looking forward to meeting you all in August. Are there many of you going to be staying residential?
    You literally waited until I updated the list to post that lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Scoobydoo26

Haha sorry, my feed just refreshed as I posted

Advertisement