Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 2017

• 01-12-2016 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭

Thread for folk who are going to apply this coming year. And for those, like myself, who tried in previous campaigns and just didn't quite make it. Be nice to have a support network from the get go outside of people you know. Insights from those who are in or who have passed and are in the various stages of the pipeline would also be much appreciated. Good luck guys and girls.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Hi there,
    First time applying myself this year. Hopefully January will be the next intake?
    I have talked to a few serving officers and they have pointed me in the right direction for what to expect. Hopefully this board will be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Razor3677

First time applying here too, been lurking on here for a while now, the folk on here seem really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Welcome aboard folks :)

Any questions, just ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Oh let's get stuck into this campaign. Some hard graft hooefully will translate to nice place on the list and into 1st or 2nd intake 2017.

Recruitment opens in early to mid Jan I am led to believe.

So IST late feb/march

AC april, may possibly into june. Then hopefully high high scorers (80+) will be in sept 17 intake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 doncop

Hi there, will be first time applying in january. However I've been lurking on here since the last campaign. Excited to see how it goes. Also any advice for someone in the younger age range send my way lol.

Get comfy with mental maths for the IST. Quick addition, subtraction, division and multiplication will make the numeracy part of the IST much easier. Find a local newspaper that is plagued with ****ty spelling, punctuation and grammar  to get used to spotting them (North Down Spectator and the Ards Chronicle are good culprits). Get used to reading text and taking what is on the page in front of you as fact. Remove your own views and dispositions from the equation for the true/false/can't tell section. 

All in all embrace it, and throw yourself at the stages. I fell down last time because I was trying to juggle it with another recruitment process. Have fun and enjoy it, if you want it bad enough your natural enthusiasm will shine through and cover your nerves. If you want it you will get. However get used to waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 SB430

Not to be too specific but I'm under 21 and now waiting on a call for the 1509 campaign. Honestly just keep a cool head during everything don't intimidated when interviewing people older in the AC and do your best. You almost have an advantage because a lot of people applying in there 30s/40s won't have been under test conditions in a long time.

SB430 wrote: »
    Not to be too specific but I'm under 21 and now waiting on a call for the 1509 campaign. Honestly just keep a cool head during everything don't intimidated when interviewing people older in the AC and do your best. You almost have an advantage because a lot of people applying in there 30s/40s won't have been under test conditions in a long time.
    Sound advice and cheers. It's a case of play the game isn't it?

Definitely just a cause of being patient, motivated and determined throughout and be ready for long waits!

• Advertisement

And the love of god get fit and stay fit. I know it's hard and the motivation isn't there but it's heartbreaking to fall down on the PCA.

I'm lucky enough to of been involved heavily in sport for years so the PCA wasn't a problem although it dragged out the medical because of injuries. All good though thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doncop

Thanks for advice. Really looking forward to get stuck into it and ready for the long haul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Current serving mainland officer ready to rock n roll in the next campaign ;)

That's some good tips lads! Thanks. A few less mince pies over xmas and hitting the gym harder will need to happen...

Just to clarify if fully successful at all stages then we would be talking July 2017 for intake if we are in the higher 80%+ bracket?

Thanks. :)

September mate. Last A/C may run into June

takodah wrote: »
    That's some good tips lads! Thanks. A few less mince pies over xmas and hitting the gym harder will need to happen...

Just to clarify if fully successful at all stages then we would be talking July 2017 for intake if we are in the higher 80%+ bracket?

Thanks. :)

If you mean the new upcoming campaign then it is unlikely to be even close to July 2017.
    If everything goes according to plan you're normally looking at 12 months from applying to starting. Even that is best case scenario.

I think 2017 will be spent taking candidates from the current 1509 campaign.

The current campaign went something like this.
    Applied: Sept 15
    IST: Nov/Dec 15
    AC: Jan-Mar 16
    PCA: Jun-Sept 16
    Intakes: Jan 17

There are few that applied in May 2014 and are going in next month.

My advice is to prepare yourself for a long process. Don't put your life on hold; take that new job, go on that holiday. I've been at this a few years now and others longer than that. Be hopeful and work for it but just be prepared for a long drawn out process that could result in the job of your dreams :)

Great to know! Thanks for the insight. I appreciate the info and advice and fingers crossed then in the long run for everyone.

Anyone concerned about the IST should try some of those transfer test papers. Sounds silly but it has helped quite a few.

Don't fall for any of those books that to swear to know the PSNI recruitment process because they don't. They are compiled for the English forces who use a completely different set of tests and assessments. The publisher just changes the name and picture on the front.
    You might get some general tips but nothing you wouldn't find yourself for free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Sound advice from homer! I would say for those applying for the first time take a look back through the ist thread and AC thread and you will pick up lots of info and find answers to questions you didn't know you had. But I would definitely agree most of the books you will find are not helpful. And timeframe wise it's probably going to be a long haul, think it's 15months since i applied for the 1509 campaign and I still have vetting and pca to do.

• Advertisement

What do you guys think about the residential phase no longer being compulsory?

Would you still do it? I know I would.

In my opinion it's a mistake as it would help to develop that team bond and foster the overall ethos by allowing it to form naturally as you are all in the same boat. I fear it will make fostering teamwork and the one vision mentality, that much more difficult.

And avoid the richard mcmunn guide books as he is a con artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alphaquebec4

They are 100% rubbish

They are 100% rubbish
    Wouldn't wipe my backside with them

What do you guys think about the residential phase no longer being compulsory?

Would you still do it? I know I would.

In my opinion it's a mistake as it would help to develop that team bond and foster the overall ethos by allowing it to form naturally as you are all in the same boat. I fear it will make fostering teamwork and the one vision mentality, that much more difficult.

I would stay for the full time due to location, but I think changes like that won't have as much impact as you say. At the end of the day I've been applying for a long time now and lots of things have changed about the process in that time but we just do what we have to do to try and get the end result each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

Can't see there being a new campaign launched until at least the summer.

I'm not saying that I am in the know however the general feeling is that a campaign is being launched early 2017, whether the folk who make it through are pushed through GV or made to chill in the waiting room remains to be seen. But the PSNI lose more than they gain year on year due to retirement, medical discharge, voluntary or compulsory resignation, dismissal and through loss of morale. The current supply does not meet the demand, the limiting factor is simply the funding available to the Chief Constable to maintain an operationally effect police service, if it is more cost effect to recruit solely from other police services in the UK then that is what will happen. 

But there must be young fresh blood in the pipeline because for community based policing to work you need to recruit from the community. The PSNI is obviously unique in the UK for the difficulties in recruiting from a divided society, but it must happen. Otherwise the PSNI will become operationally ineffective. The reason morale is so low in the service at the minute is because the blue line is so so thin.

They are 100% rubbish
    Wouldn't wipe my backside with them
    Now you tell me lol. read half of it.

I'm not saying that I am in the know however the general feeling is that a campaign is being launched early 2017, whether the folk who make it through are pushed through GV or made to chill in the waiting room remains to be seen. But the PSNI lose more than they gain year on year due to retirement, medical discharge, voluntary or compulsory resignation, dismissal and through loss of morale. The current supply does not meet the demand, the limiting factor is simply the funding available to the Chief Constable to maintain an operationally effect police service, if it is more cost effect to recruit solely from other police services in the UK then that is what will happen. 

But there must be young fresh blood in the pipeline because for community based policing to work you need to recruit from the community. The PSNI is obviously unique in the UK for the difficulties in recruiting from a divided society, but it must happen. Otherwise the PSNI will become operationally ineffective. The reason morale is so low in the service at the minute is because the blue line is so so thin.
    In relation to the campaign. As the thin blue line gets thiner and the need for more officers. Will the IST pass/fail grades be lower than in previous years or will it be like the theory driving test. One pass/fail mark for every year.

• Advertisement

It depends on the number of people who apply. More people higher score, less people lower score. Edit: also just depends on how many they plan take through to the next stages.

Advertisement