Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Hey,

I dont mean to be a bitch but this is the medical thread you are on. Maybe you could set up a seperate 'debts' thread or just use the 'vetting' or 'any worries thread'. Thanks.

All the best:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WEE SCOT

owen1976 wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint but I would think all it indicates is you passed your AC. Have you got your vetting forms yet?
    The system of recuitment isn't very clear you never really know where you stand or how your doing until you get you merit number. Even then its not for sure!!!
    I appear to be in same boat - did my AC early July - got vetting forms 2 weeks later. Who knows. Have been told not to expect AC score until November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭belfastard

there is going to be a hair sample taken at the medical?l usually keep a shaved head.figure i should maybe let it grow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭pb999

there was no hair sample taken when i did med for c13, just urine sample

i thought i seen some where about a hair sample.if not i guess i can keep it short and neat still lol

• Advertisement

i know that they take hair samples for english forces, and they may do for garda, but the dont for psni, or at least they didnt with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

pb999 wrote: »
    i know that they take hair samples for english forces, and they may do for garda, but the dont for psni, or at least they didnt with me.

It did say somewhere about the hair thing being introduced this year for drug testing.

The only thing they'll find in mine is peroxide....:o

yeah i thought i read it somewhere myself.maybe ill grow the mane just to be safe!

apparently in the english forces, if you're bald up top, they take it from down below! :eek:

pb999 wrote: »
    apparently in the english forces, if you're bald up top, they take it from down below! :eek:

ROTFLMAO

They'll be plucking your pubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Thats the best thing I have heard all day, I was having a crap one that has cheered me right up!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Hate to spoil the fun MGH of the thought of the good old 'slap heads' getting the short and curlys plucked. I looked at the sheet that i think came with the vetting forms (maybe it was AC pass letter) and it says pubic hair would not be used:D:D

They say a "sample" means- and I quote;

(a) a sample of hair, other than pubic, complete with roots;
    (b) saliva; or
    (c) a swab taken from the mouth

So good news for all you baldies:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

does anyone know how strict they are when testing you Body Mass Index?

I have always been very fit and into my sports, however, over the last year ive put on a little bit of weight. personally i wouldnt say im overweight but my current BMI tells me that i am.

Recently ive got back into training so hopefully by the time the medical comes around, if i even get called for one, i should be ok.

i suppose im just wanting to know if there is a strict cut-off or is there any leeway given?

faceman08 wrote: »
    does anyone know how strict they are when testing you Body Mass Index?

I have always been very fit and into my sports, however, over the last year ive put on a little bit of weight. personally i wouldnt say im overweight but my current BMI tells me that i am.

Recently ive got back into training so hopefully by the time the medical comes around, if i even get called for one, i should be ok.

i suppose im just wanting to know if there is a strict cut-off or is there any leeway given?
    I do knowthat in C13 a guy failed his medical due to BMI - he got it reversed on appeal, they had taken his height incorrectly.
    There seems to be tremendous emphasis on fitness, personally I wouldnt risk it and would try to get it down in the event that you get called for medical.
    BMI is a load of poo anyway, anyone who trains with weights will have a higher BMI due to being more muscle and it weighing more.:rolleyes:

i failed medical in c13 on body composition, they test your bmi, if it is over 30 they hook you up to a wee machine that tests your bodyfat %, so you can have a bmi over 30 however your bodyfat must be within acceptable ranges (mine wasn't). if for example you play rugby, lift alot of weights, you are going to be more muscular than average, it saves hassle if you can get your bmi below 30, but bodyfat% is the key indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 keeponrunnin

I failed med in c13 on body composition, as my bmi was above 30. I appealed with a doctor's letter, and was given the opportunity to do the pca at garnerville, under a time of 3mins 43 secs. I made 4 errors during the circuit, and finished just marginally outside the time.

There were others who were in a similiar boat to me, and it's worthwhile bearing in mind that the time alloted is the time that Student Officers need to beat in order to graduate from College. So there are ways of showing that you are fit to do the job, but getting your bmi down to below 30 is the best option.

We got a good look around garnerville too!

I failed med in c13 on body composition, as my bmi was above 30. I appealed with a doctor's letter, and was given the opportunity to do the pca at garnerville, under a time of 3mins 43 secs. I made 4 errors during the circuit, and finished just marginally outside the time.

There were others who were in a similiar boat to me, and it's worthwhile bearing in mind that the time alloted is the time that Student Officers need to beat in order to graduate from College. So there are ways of showing that you are fit to do the job, but getting your bmi down to below 30 is the best option.

yeah a mate of mine was in the same boat and appealed and did the pca but also failed it. tbh i didnt feel right about appealing as i knew myself my weight and bodyfat was too high and wanted to get it off. As said getting down below 30 is the option with the least hassle and risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭faceman08

I presume the fail mark is 30 then??

At the moment im around 28, so hopefully should be ok. thats not to say i wont be hitting the gym in the meantime.

Thanks for your responses

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Yep you need to have a BMI below 30 to avoid the body fat calculator being brought out. When I did my medical my BMI was 27 and there was no problems.

The most difficult part of the medical for me was the hearing test, I was told afterwards that I had perfect hearing, but when they put on the headphones, I thought they where defective the tones where so low. So don't fret and start pressing the button at will, just press it when you actually do hear the tone.

and dont look at the dots in the soundproof booth, they will make you very dizzy and nausious!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jason Clerkin

It says on sheet that Consensia sent that Fingerprints and Samples are for candidates who are selected for entry to training as Police Officers Patrol/Probationer so doubt this will happen at the medical stage. Only if you are succesful in being selected for Training!

Does anyone know how long after vetting forms are sent do the medicals happen? Is the time frame the same/different for everyone, by how long ago you done A/C, Does it go by the merit pool etc..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

Does anyone know how long after vetting forms are sent do the medicals happen? Is the time frame the same/different for everyone, by how long ago you done A/C, Does it go by the merit pool etc..?

As far as i know, they won't be inviting anyone to their medical until their vetting has cleared. I don't know if they even process the vetting if the merit score ain't close enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

ohhhhh nooooo. stripping down will be the worst bit for me if i get to that stage. afro nips on the go.

As far as i know, they won't be inviting anyone to their medical until their vetting has cleared. I don't know if they even process the vetting if the merit score ain't close enough though.

Cool. Thanks for your help Inspector71. Someone in c13 had there medical within a month of receiving Vetting forms last year though. Doubt Vetting would of cleared that quick. Is it different this year?

Cool. Thanks for your help Inspector71. Someone in c13 had there medical within a month of receiving Vetting forms last year though. Doubt Vetting would of cleared that quick. Is it different this year?

I think I know who you're referring to, sometimes vetting can clear very quickly, treat that candidate as the exception rather than the rule:D

Thanks MGH. So Medical = Passed Vetting. Would make sense really, saving on cost and all that jazz... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Sorry to blow another theory out of the water, but I passed my Medical in March and didn't clear Vetting until June....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pmk

Medical does not mean passed vetting. Not for c13 anyway. Passed my medical in Nov and my vetting is still ongoing at the minute.

pmk wrote: »
    Medical does not mean passed vetting. Not for c13 anyway. Passed my medical in Nov and my vetting is still ongoing at the minute.

Not for C13 being the key phrase there. All change for C14 it seems!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I think I know who you're referring to, sometimes vetting can clear very quickly, treat that candidate as the exception rather than the rule:D

I think Jason's reffering to me. :D I sent my vetting forms back at the end of November and had my medical in mid-December. There was no way my vetting had been completed at this stage.

C14 seems to be working slightly different to C13, so you never know, you might have to wait for your vetting to clear before being offered a medical.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was mate :)

Advertisement