Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting in Garnerville soon? Read this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭mickey2186

I have to do the first 4 definitions. I find simply writing them out many times over seems to help, but I agree it is tricky.

Mickey2186.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭OfficerProblem?

Good luck for tomorrow everyone! See you in the morning! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Ethan321

just remember folks that through the course you need to learn the full booklet!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭alanbelfast

Hi Guys/Gals

Just got word from head of appointments that i passed my vetting, Yippee!
    My medical date is to follow in the next couple of weeks( last obstacle )
    Hopefully i will be joining you lot in August!

Enjoy your weekend people

Alan

Good morning psni

Just a quick one here- when deciding on your DCU etc, Is it actually stations you pick or district command areas? Just wondering can you actually pick four stations where you would like to be based?

Alan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

If only you could pick your station! You only get to choose your DCU I'm afraid.
    Good morning psni

Just a quick one here- when deciding on your DCU etc, Is it actually stations you pick or district command areas? Just wondering can you actually pick four stations where you would like to be based?

Alan

See ya all on August 3rd people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FootyFan24

Hi, just wondering about the 4 weeks residential. Is it 4 weeks of 7 days, or are the weekends excluded for personal study at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

FootyFan24 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering about the 4 weeks residential. Is it 4 weeks of 7 days, or are the weekends excluded for personal study at home?

You get home on a friday and dont have to be back until monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Thats right, you go home on friday. But the time depends on if you get a show parade. Also, I think a lot of the guys/gals go in on Sunday night to get their stuff ready for the next morning. Probably makes good sense to do this.

Wanalaugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

Are you guys learning the first 5 definitions? Can't believe we have to be up there so early on Sunday! :eek:
    Hi Officer Problem
    can you tell me when you got the definitions to learn - was it before you went for your first day? Can you give an example of the definitions?
    What sort of fitness level is expected ie: Is their time limite to run certain distances etc? Sorry for the questions but got the call for september and want to get a head start.
    Thanks
    SFMCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭surfrunner

After the initial 4 weeks residential what are the times for training. Is it 8-5, 9-5, Could someone let me know?. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

Hello all, anybody know what kind of time you get off over christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Par827

Rob-117 wrote: »
    Hello all, anybody know what kind of time you get off over christmas?
    Rob,

Just Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years day ! the rest is all work unless it falls on a Sat/Sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

Par827 wrote: »
    Rob,

Just Christmas day, Boxing day and New Years day ! the rest is all work unless it falls on a Sat/Sun

Damnit, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 egwene

Tucker86 wrote: »
    Just a quick question, I was thinking if, When you start in Garneville i hear the dress code is smart casual, does that mean for the 4 week residential when you have free time you need to wear smart casual?

Basically asking if you bring a suitcase of clothes, what would you bring??

thanks,

T

Hi everyone, I'm really excited to be joining you at the hotel!

Tucker86 asked this question a while ago and I can't find the answer anywhere in the public thread. Could maybe psni or someone who's been to the srn shed some light on what clothing is appropriate?

Need to know how much shopping I have to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Guys, there are a few of us on here starting on Sunday. As far as it goes dont bring too much with you. Jeans and t-shirts are ok to be worn whilst you are in your rooms after workinh hours. Just as long as they have no slogans or footy names/badges etc.

Oh....and the definitions mmmmmmmmm the lovely definitions lol

Wanalaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

I got the information pack and it says PE gear will be supplied and you pay over three months. This was so that everyone is wearing the same and that you can't wear brand names or logos on clothing,does this include trainers as I need to buy new ones and I am not sure of what to get.
    Thanks
    SFMCC

Your trainers are fine. No need to buy new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭MAKEPEACE

:)Hi I remember in the old forum there was a guide to training running times etc. I can't find it on the consensia website and I was wondering if anyone knows where it is. Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

Hey, Im not sure if this is the one you mean:

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/careers/pca-test.htm

Soz PYG don't think it is but thanks because that was useful too. It was a training programme that had things like Day One: Run 3mins walk 1min etc. I'm on my own programme and running a lot I just want to get some advice on strengthening exercises as I don't want to do myself a mischief (like I did at the weekend :o )

Ah well. Did you click the 'click here' button on that page? It has a little about 3mins blah blah 1min blah blah. It just probably wasnt what you were lookin for.

All the best anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

folks

I didn't pass the PCA on the first try (tho - passed it at the midcourse assessment). They gave me a sprinting programme that you can do in any gym. It's as so:
    warm up and stretch etc etc
    treadmill at 1.0 incline (might depend on treadmill tho)
    2 mins @ 11kph
    2 mins rest
    2mins @ 12kph
    2mins rest
    1min @ 12, then 1min rest (do this 3 times)
    30 secs @ 13, then 30 secs rest (do this 3 times)
    then warm down adn stretch holding stretches for 30 secs or so.

I found this was good for getting up anaerobic fitness. Sounds easy, but for a few weeks getting the two mins @ 12kph was tough, but you get it eventually :-)

Lis...nearly at finish line!

surfrunner wrote: »
    After the initial 4 weeks residential what are the times for training. Is it 8-5, 9-5, Could someone let me know?. Cheers!

surfrunner - you may still have 8 am starts for drill, show parades etc. The last squad that went in got heaps of 8 am starts - depends on who you get for drill and whether or not the squad is doing ok for drill/uniforms etc etc etc

lisnsooz wrote: »
    surfrunner - you may still have 8 am starts for drill, show parades etc. The last squad that went in got heaps of 8 am starts - depends on who you get for drill and whether or not the squad is doing ok for drill/uniforms etc etc etc

You see when you failed the fitness first time were they really tough on you or helpful?

MAKEPEACE wrote: »
    Soz PYG don't think it is but thanks because that was useful too. It was a training programme that had things like Day One: Run 3mins walk 1min etc. I'm on my own programme and running a lot I just want to get some advice on strengthening exercises as I don't want to do myself a mischief (like I did at the weekend :o )

Hi makepeace,

I think this may be the schedule you are looking for.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=30

if the link doesnt work go to runnersworld.co.uk and look at the training section and then for beginners schedules.

Enjoy!

lisnsooz wrote: »

Cheers for that!

Thanks surf runner that is great just what I was looking for. :)

• Advertisement

You see when you failed the fitness first time were they really tough on you or helpful?

ultimately - you should have some level of fitness going in, and ideally it's good to be passing the PCA initially cos the PE classes are tough and if you're not fit, you'll find them even tougher, so do try and get out there and improve your fitness levels.

If you fail teh PCA (altho - if you spectacularly fail, not sure what they do - I missed it by a few sece) they give you a training programme to work on, and either you do it (I did and find it good), or do your own thing - but they do expect improvements a few weeks later at the next assessment and if not, they will ask questions as to what you're doing in your spare time regarding training, and if you pass it, it just means one less thing to be worrying about for your final exams/assessments.

The way I looked at it was, if they were doing to come down on you like a tonne of bricks for failing it initially, then they would have the PCA as part of the medical (like the Gardai do). Once I passed the PCA, I felt a lot better and less demoralised about PE classes, cos whilst I'm slower than the rest, at least I felt that teh PSNI thought I was fit enough to pass the PCA so I was still doing ok.

Make no mistake - fitness is taken very seriously in there - not just for simply running after suspects - even from maintaining your body to withstand the physical rigours of long shifts etc etc etc. If you're a complete couch potato, you'll need to start getting out and getting up and about or else you'll be in for a major land when you get to G-ville!!!

Hope that helps!
    Lis

Advertisement