Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Education requirements

• 21-01-2018 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a query with regard to education requirements. I have looked through various threads and found nothing too clear. It mentions GCSE's A-C, what is that compared to? For example how does it compare to the leaving certificate? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Any level 2 qualification including essential skills maths, English and ICT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

If you're talking about the leaving certs from the ROI It's all on the JoinPSNI website.
    Go to:
    Can I join
    Education requirements
    FAQ's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Got it! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FermanaghBlue

Hi - quick question from a new member here...
    Does anyone anyone know or think an Application of Number (level 3), taken as part of a GNVQ will be accepted as an equivalent to GCSE Maths? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Does anyone anyone know or think an Application of Number (level 3), taken as part of a GNVQ will be accepted as an equivalent to GCSE Maths? Ta

It is yeah. It covers you.

• Advertisement

Maxi515 wrote: »

It is yeah. It covers you.
    Cheers - It just lists it in the the modules on the GNVQ certificate - is that okay?
    Have you known them to accept this? Thanks again.

Level 3 application in number is in that grey area between GCSE and AS levels/BTEC Level 3s so it's more than enough

Level 3 application in number is in that grey area between GCSE and AS levels/BTEC Level 3s so it's more than enough
    Thanks for the reply - hopefully they agree on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Doesn't mention the level 3 but it's says the level 2 in number is accepted, at the bottem of the page so should be fine.

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/equivalent-qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

can someone please explain what grades are needed for the PSNI in the irish grade system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

can someone please explain what grades are needed for the PSNI in the irish grade system

Go to the link in the post above yours, if you scroll down you will see the Irish equivalent required.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Go to the link in the post above yours, if you scroll down you will see the Irish equivalent required.

i did pal but they say you need a c, which is the old points system

Goonerdee wrote: »

i did pal but they say you need a c, which is the old points system

Surely there's an old to new equivalency table on the internet that you can use to interrogate the info on joinPSNI...

Surely there's an old to new equivalency table on the internet that you can use to interrogate the info on joinPSNI...

there is yeah, but what is a C, is it a C1, C2,C3??

Internet will answer your questions mate if you look for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Not knowing your education system makes it very complicated to understand. I did find this...

“Examinations at Ordinary Level are of a lower standard than those at Higher Level, but there is some grade overlap between the higher grades at Ordinary Level and the lower grades of Higher Level. For the purposes of admission to Irish higher education courses, Ordinary level grades A1 to C2 receive similar recognition to Higher Level grades C3 to D3 as shown in below 'Key issues for UK HE admissions'. Ordinary Level grades A1 to C2 represent a similar standard of achievement to NQF Level 3 while those at Ordinary Level C3 or below represent a similar standard of achievement to NQF Level 2.“

UK NQF level 2 is GCSEs A-C. So it looks like anything C3 and better is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 smiler845

Hi - quick question from a new member here...Does anyone anyone know or think an Application of Number (level 3), taken as part of a GNVQ will be accepted as an equivalent to GCSE Maths? Ta

Hi mate did you clarify this with recruitment as I’m in the same boat as you and need to know if it’s acceptable ðŸ‘ðŸ»

smiler845 wrote: »
    Hi - quick question from a new member here...Does anyone anyone know or think an Application of Number (level 3), taken as part of a GNVQ will be accepted as an equivalent to GCSE Maths? Ta

Hi mate did you clarify this with recruitment as I’m in the same boat as you and need to know if it’s acceptable ðŸ‘ðŸ»

It says on the joinPSNI page that Level 2 application of number is equiv to GCSE so reasonable to assume level 3 would be acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 5 smiler845

It says on the joinPSNI page that Level 2 application of number is equiv to GCSE so reasonable to assume level 3 would be acceptable

With recruitment beginning again In January, I’m curious if my level 2 & level 3 numeracy and communications as part of my GNVQ will be accepted as an equivalent. Did yous get a definitive answer from recruitment?
    Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

smiler845 wrote: »

With recruitment beginning again In January, I’m curious if my level 2 & level 3 numeracy and communications as part of my GNVQ will be accepted as an equivalent. Did yous get a definitive answer from recruitment?
    Thanks..

Ask the FE establishment if the module would be considered equivalent to what is needed.

What I would say is that essential skills Literacy and numeracy are free from NI FE colleges and you have a bit of time before january...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Would a level 8 degree from an irish university be enough?

2shea wrote: »
    Would a level 8 degree from an irish university be enough?

It needs to be GCSE English language and Maths or Level 2 Literacy/numeracy or equivalent, with a total of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at A*-C.

If you have a level 8 degree surely you have other quals equivalent to the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

YNWA27 wrote: »
    It needs to be GCSE English language and Maths or Level 2 Literacy/numeracy or equivalent, with a total of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at A*-C.

If you have a level 8 degree surely you have other quals equivalent to the above?

Not good enough for the gardai

2shea wrote: »
    YNWA27 wrote: »

Not good enough for the gardai

AGS is not the PSNI though, could that have been knowledge of a 2nd language instead of general qualifications? There will be international equivalency tables on several sites...

Advertisement