Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2019, 23:47   #31
Succubus_

I want to be cremated and my family are aware of this. No idea what to do with the ashes but sure I'll leave that up to them.
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 23:48   #32
the_pen_turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Is cremation environmentally friendly, with all the gas and all? I don't like the idea of a graveyard, but what's the alternative?
solar rays amplified through a huge magnifing glass
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 23:56   #33
Insect Overlord

Dakhmas for the win.
11-01-2019, 00:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Is cremation environmentally friendly, with all the gas and all? I don't like the idea of a graveyard, but what's the alternative?

I read about an alternative in the last few months, they were saying how the disposal options (burial or cremation) materials/fuel, the process and chemicals/by products are environmentally harmful whichever current option you decided on (it was referring to the USA so maybe its more applicable there), the alternative was you are placed in what seemed like a pressure cooker and liquefied via heat/bacteria? this took care of bones and everything, now I thought they would use the goo as a fertiliser but from what I recal the option they seemed to be thinking of was flushing you down the sewer.
11-01-2019, 00:16   #35
foxy farmer

Crowd of people around my grandparents table chatting at dinnertime during the harvest years ago. One of them pipes up.
"Well Jer you buried your father since we were here last. "
"We did boy." he replies. Sure we had to do something with him when he died."
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 10:12   #36
Bigbagofcans

Yes you're going out the same way you came in
Someone will notify your next of kin
Some will weep and some will moan some will spit upon your stone
But you're going out the same way you came in
Oh they lay you out in all your fancy clothes
And they'll figure out just who and what you own
Then the lawyers line their nest and your kinfolk gets the rest
But you can't take it with you when you go
Yes you're going out the same way you came in
No matter who you know or where you've been
Makes no difference who you are
Skid Row Joe or superstar
You're going out the same way you came in
11-01-2019, 10:21   #37
Gravelly

The Parsi people in India put their dead out to be eaten by vultures (it is also essential for them to have a dog at their funeral) - we could do something similar here, but with crows.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 10:23   #38
Deebles McBeebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbagofcans View Post
You're going out the same way you came in
Certainly hope not. My mother will be long dead by then.
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 10:26   #39
Bigbagofcans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
Certainly hope not. My mother will be long dead by then.
You're going in the same way you came out
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 10:27   #40

Shannon Crematorium is now operational.

Quote:
Built at a cost of €2.4m, it was completed after a nine-year planning process. The building includes a chapel, which can seat 140 people, with video screens where tributes can be played. There will also be a small chapel/hospitality area with seating for 60 where people can remain on after the cremation.

Mr Cranwell said: “We will help put together these tributes and families can also have webcam facilities which will enable families to have a ceremony transmitted anywhere in the world.”
So this is the future of death. You will be cremated while tributes air on video screens and your friends in far-flung countries watch a live stream on their iPhones.
11-01-2019, 10:32   #41
Gravelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy Defeated History View Post
Shannon Crematorium is now operational.

So this is the future of death. You will be cremated while tributes air on video screens and your friends in far-flung countries watch a live stream on their iPhones.
God that sounds depressing. Give me a good 'oul balls to the wall Irish wake any day.
11-01-2019, 10:37   #42
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer89 View Post
Let's call a spade a spade: graveyards won't last, will they? We're a godless generation, us Milennials. Has there ever been another generation as detached from religion as us? Potentially not, and if that's the case, which it might well be, then how is this not going to have a knock-on effect for traditional, Christian burials?

Funeral and burial preferences have changed quite a lot. There was a time when cremation was a bit bold in the eyes of the church, a bit un-Christian-like, but now 33% of dead people are opting for this. This highlights a detachment even in non-Millenials, so how different could the landscape be in 40 or 50 years, when it's our time to go?

I appreciate that it's popular for the ashes of deceased people to be buried in graveyards to this day, but there's a chance we'll move further away from this in time, as people grow less sentimental over the idea of being buried with their loved ones. It's a lovely idea and I've nothing wrong with it obviously, but I don't think my generation will draw the same warmth and solace from it as our parents, grandparents and great-grandparents.

Who knows lads, but what I do know - or at least think - is that graveyards are f*cked. I'm not sure they'll physically go anywhere, but I do think the business side of them will suffer in the long run.
You don’t need religion for a burial though.

I was at the burial of a far out relation.
Five of us, funeral director and two grave diggers.

Collected him from mortuary, no prayers, he’s wife didn’t even go in to see the coffin being closed.

Drove straight to council run graveyard.

Myself, brother and two grave diggers lowered him into the ground and the lads started shivering in the clay, no priest, no prayers, nothing.

Had to count the grave location and write it down for his wife in case she ever wanted to go back, that’s maybe eight years ago and she never set foot back since that moment.

Personally I don’t care, cremate me and spread me somewhere in a nice deciduous forest and that would be grand.
11-01-2019, 10:43   #43
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
I don't particularly see an issue with graveyards; we all rot and feed the worms either way.

Though we should be encouraging the use of materials which degrade more quickly and discouraging the use of embalming fluids.

This stuff of pumping corpses full of preservatives and sticking them in strong and treated wooden boxes is perverse. You're going to bury them forever a couple of days later, why do they need to be robust?
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 10:47   #44
Gravelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
I don't particularly see an issue with graveyards; we all rot and feed the worms either way.

Though we should be encouraging the use of materials which degrade more quickly and discouraging the use of embalming fluids.

This stuff of pumping corpses full of preservatives and sticking them in strong and treated wooden boxes is perverse. You're going to bury them forever a couple of days later, why do they need to be robust?
So the undertaker can charge grief-stricken relatives loads of money for it.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 10:52   #45
enda1

Cremation is not environmentally friendly at all!

I much prefer the idea of burial in linen garments with a new native tree forest growing out of your corpse. Of course after any medical implants and fillings have been removed in order to prevent heavy metal leaching and titanium waste etc.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion