Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2019, 16:51   #16
Gravelly

[QUOTE=Obvious Desperate Breakfasts;109087720]My friend wants to be buried at sea. It’s allowed in Ireland, but there are rules. You need a permit. Your corpse needs to be tagged so that they know who you are and that you aren’t a murder victim if you’re washed up. Your coffin needs to be weighted but contain holes to make sure it sinks. Or I think you can go sans coffin, if you want.[/QUOTE]

I believe they call that Bin Laden Style.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 16:53   #17
Hammer89

Quote:
Originally Posted by randd1 View Post
Wouldn't it be better just to put people into the ground in paper garments and just let nature take it's course?
There'll be no insertion into the earth, going forward. Future generations will think it's as unconventional as we think of Egyptian burials.

'You'll never guess what our ancestors used to do for burials.
'Go on then, what did they do?'
'Right, so they put the bodies in these long wooden yokes first...'
'Like boats?'
'Yes but twice as expensive as boats and not as long. Anyway, then that box - I think they called them coffins - would get lowered into the ground.'
'Mental c*nts.'
'Absolutely'.
(3) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 16:54   #18
Beasty
Administrator

There must be an opportunity here. Who will dispose of the remains of the final human? Should be training up robots to do it....
10-01-2019, 16:56   #19
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
My friend wants to be buried at sea. It’s allowed in Ireland, but there are rules. You need a permit. Your corpse needs to be tagged so that they know who you are and that you aren’t a murder victim if you’re washed up. Your coffin needs to be weighted but contain holes to make sure it sinks. Or I think you can go sans coffin, if you want.
The guidelines: http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/fi...guidelines.pdf
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 16:58   #20
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Advertisement
10-01-2019, 17:02   #21
rossie1977

Certainly going nowhere here in West of Ireland. Funerals, gravestones are huge business here still with everyone competing with each other and funerals themselves being some of the biggest events with death notices on radio something I would suspect everyone listening to Midwest and shannonside regularly tune in for.

I have seen 3 of my friends die, one as recently as last year and all have gotten a Christian burial even though none were religious.

Look at it this way how many non Christian weddings are taking place in modern Ireland..maybe 10%? How many young couples don't baptise their kids?
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 17:02   #22
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by randd1 View Post
Wouldn't it be better just to put people into the ground in paper garments and just let nature take it's course?

Heard of this idea years ago of planting seeds with the body, and using the nutrients from decomposing body to grow trees or crops. Not a bad way to go.
I'd be happy with that

A big wooden box is wasteful
10-01-2019, 17:02   #23
Hammer89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Burn me and stick my ashes in the sea, or scatter them anywhere, i don't care.

I don't want anyone to feel obliged to come to a bleak, wet cemetery on my birthday, Christmas etc. and put flowers on my grave.
They wouldn't go anyway; not because they don't love and miss you, but because we're increasingly finding better ways in which to honour our loved ones and they don't involve crying over a large bit of marble with your name on it.
10-01-2019, 17:05   #24
CalamariFritti

We're all just stardust no matter what you do with it. Which is actually rather poetic and nice. I'm ok with cremation.
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 17:10   #25
Silent Running

My instructions are to take from my corpse anything that can be used to help another living person, and burn the rest. I don't care what happens with the ashes. I've no romantic notions about where they go.
(2) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 17:14   #26
Oink
Savage muc

Shoot me out of a cannon while playing The Ace of Spades so loud that anyone within a ten-mile radius goes deaf and Lemmy rises from the dead.
10-01-2019, 17:21   #27
mordeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Shoot me out of a cannon while playing The Ace of Spades so loud that anyone within a ten-mile radius goes deaf and Lemmy rises from the dead.
I was always impressed with Sean Lock's wish to be fly tipped on a hedge in a scenic area. That way he could continue to annoy people even when he's dead.
10-01-2019, 23:17   #28
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

When I die, I want my remains scattered in Disneyland. Also, I don't want to be cremated.
10-01-2019, 23:38   #29
AndrewJRenko

Is cremation environmentally friendly, with all the gas and all? I don't like the idea of a graveyard, but what's the alternative?
10-01-2019, 23:42   #30
oneilla

Throw them into the brown bin maybe?
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size