Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-01-2019, 15:43   #16
Autecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
On one hand it's not wrong for someone to say that they are attracted to a particular type. On the other hand saying that women over 50 were invisible is a bit of a dick move. there's more to a woman than their age/appearance.

I'd view it the same way if he'd said women with small breasts are invisible to him. He's very shallow.
Yeah their cooking ability is also important.
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 15:43   #17
Arghus

I'm amazed this is news. He's just expressing his own personal taste in women.
(4) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 15:45   #18
Candie

I hope he's okay with being deemed unlovable too. Plenty of people in the age group he's attracted to wouldn't be remotely interested in a guy as old or older than their dad.

He's entitled to his preferences, but how you state them (if you really must) can make you sound like a boor.
08-01-2019, 15:46   #19
alchemist33

I'm surprised the British embassy had an opinion on this, and that opinion was "sexism" even though there's no sexism.
Thanks from:
08-01-2019, 15:47   #20
Outlaw Pete

If a famous woman in her 50's said the same they'd be celebrated for expressing their sexual desires and anyone that criticized the comments would be told that they were just intimidated by strong women.
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 15:47   #21
Gravelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
I hope he's okay with being deemed unlovable too. Plenty of people in the age group he's attracted to wouldn't be remotely interested in a guy as old or older than their dad.

He's entitled to his preferences, but how you state them (if you really must) can make you sound like a boor.
I've a feeling that if his new found fame helps him get the leg over a couple of 20-somethings, he won't give a ****e if the rest of the world hates him.
(2) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 15:47   #22
eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelly View Post
Can't be saying things like that, we needed to get offended on behalf of these women, getting offended on behalf of others is vital in these challenging times.
I am one of those women, well near enough. I would bet my house he'd be repulsed by me and that's ok. I'm secure enough to know my worth isn't determined by whether or not some random person would shag me. We all have our own personal preferences don't we?
08-01-2019, 15:48   #23
Rory28

Quote:

A (presumably)rich French author. Yea no 25 year old academic type will be interested in him. Come on now, be reasonable.
08-01-2019, 15:48   #24
Arghus

Quote:

In some other quotes he acknowledges that he wouldn't consider himself to be a catch either.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 15:49   #25
Franz Von Peppercorn

French culture, movies and literature often promote the older man younger woman scenario.

Wonder how much of that is a true reflection.
08-01-2019, 15:49   #26
Gravelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist33 View Post
I'm surprised the British embassy had an opinion on this, and that opinion was "sexism" even though there's no sexism.
Middle-aged male saying anything that's not utterly sycophantic about women = sexism.

If he's white, they'll probably shoehorn racism in there too.
08-01-2019, 15:50   #27
Arghus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post
If a famous woman in her 50's said the same they'd be celebrated for expressing their sexual desires and anyone that criticized the comments would be told that they were just intimidated by strong women.
You gotta love how you saw an opportunity for some wimmin bashing in even this subject.
08-01-2019, 15:50   #28
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn View Post
French culture, movies and literature often promote the older man younger woman scenario.

Wonder how much of that is a true reflection.
totally normal in some societies.

very frowned upon in Ireland I would say is the common reaction.
Thanks from:
08-01-2019, 15:51   #29
Franz Von Peppercorn

He’s in fairly good nick for 50.
08-01-2019, 15:51   #30
conorhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post

Like Germaine Greer for example?
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ducation.news2

"The first thing that strikes you about Germaine Greer's new book 'The Boy' is just how lovely it is; page after page of sheeny illustrations of fine, languid boys as seen by artists from Praxiteles to Annie Leibovitz. But this is much more than a great coffee table book. In it, Greer is asking us to celebrate the evanescent loveliness of boys, but to do so in a very serious way."
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion