Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-01-2019, 13:31   #31
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
Some people are psychopaths,in fact a lot of people are psychopaths. Doesn't make them "evil"(whatever that is) it means if the circumstances are right they can kill without feeling. It's a human condition.
So your contribution to this thread is that you don't understand what the word "evil" means, not that hard to look it up in a dictionary.

Or I suppose you can go down the beard scratching routine of "but what is "evil" really?"
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 13:31   #32
begbysback

Quote:
Humans do these things,and a lot worse. It shouldn't be catagorised as being an external force.
I agree, it seems this short film would benefit society in a deeper understanding, though at a cost to the family of little James.

There are some questions which need to be asked, like is it a case of one boy having an influence over the other, and though what they did cannot be excused, were the kids abused themselves?

I do agree with the filmmaker that asking these questions will help to understand, though the cost to the family has to be acknowledged. It’s probably going to be the most emotionally charged nature v nurture debate.
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 13:34   #33
tayto lover

Evil psychopaths lack empathy.
My own lads used to cry if our wee dog was sick and they'd sit with him all night.
These evil feckers wanted to inflict pain and enjoyed watching a little tot suffer. Completely different to the norm and completely cunning, calculating and evil.
The world doesn't need their sort.
03-01-2019, 13:35   #34
nthclare
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbysback View Post
I agree, it seems this short film would benefit society in a deeper understanding, though at a cost to the family of little James.

There are some questions which need to be asked, like is it a case of one boy having an influence over the other, and though what they did cannot be excused, were the kids abused themselves?

I do agree with the filmmaker that asking these questions will help to understand, though the cost to the family has to be acknowledged. It’s probably going to be the most emotionally charged nature v nurture debate.
Some people will do anything in the name of Art.
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 13:36   #35
donkeykong5

Quote:
Quote:
Humans do these things,and a lot worse. It shouldn't be catagorised as being an external force.

Do you think the filmmaker should have informed Jamie's parents that he was making a film about their murdered child?
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 13:38   #36
Candie

Whatever about the killers, it's the family I really feel for. Every time someone sparks interest in the case, the media contacts the mother or father for comment. Every time someone seeks to examine the case, for righteous reasons or because they seek something sensational to raise their own profile, the parents are brought back to that time and find themselves considering some other angle of that horror.

No murder is committed by a monster, they're all committed by humans. Maybe the humans have something monstrous inside them, and that makes examination important so history is prevented from repeating itself. Ideally the examination is by trained health professionals, not to be confused with documentary makers.
03-01-2019, 13:39   #37
manonboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Some people are just evil c***s
May I ask bambi,
how do you imagine that to be true? Surely what ever things that you describe as evil.. have a cause?
If not, is the only other alternative that you think it spontaneously appears.. if so.. arent you just as likely to be a victim of it, or someone close you know?

To me, evil is just a word people use to attribute to a dark prescence that can't exist as just a regular part of us.. and i think its used as a way to say "I am NOT evil.. look, i can point to others that ARE evil.. so i am NOT"

Whatever made these children do what they did.. They were children.. Those that came before them create those circumstances.. unless we are saying that they were born evil as babies? I don't believe babies can be evil.
(4) thanks from:
03-01-2019, 13:41   #38
donkeykong5

Ben Sheppard is a brilliant interviewer. He raised all questions I would have asked the "filmmaker " as well.
Thanks from:
03-01-2019, 13:41   #39
judeboy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctest50 View Post
You forgot the sexual assualt
Advertisement
03-01-2019, 13:42   #40
begbysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong5 View Post
Do you think the filmmaker should have informed Jamie's parents that he was making a film about their murdered child?
He did, whether that was by daytime tv or previous I don’t know. Either way they were never going to approve of such an alternative perception.

Like I said, the emotional cost is all on the family.
03-01-2019, 13:42   #41
nthclare
Banned

Quote:

There's been documentaries about this before, and I'm sure the psychological reports on the child killer's will have a lot of information about the killer's backgrounds.

Wasn't the Chucky movie's banned almost immediately after this happened.

Some of us can remember a lot about this case as the news headlines and papers were peppered with all sorts of conclusions.

I think if you add up all the kids who were the same age of the killer's in the UK from that horrific day until 10 year's ago.

Divide it by the amount of times it happened since, the odds of it happening again will have a huge difference in averages...
03-01-2019, 13:43   #42
Lone Stone

hmm should be an interesting watch. I read some thing about one of them going back in for pedophilia or some ****.
03-01-2019, 13:45   #43
Bannasidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
You'll have the usual pattern of people defending these evil bastard's, always from the left.

I seen something a while back about lefties saying paedophiles are another sexual orientation, and how hard it must be to be rejected by society for being a naunce.

If society ever say's it's ok to be a naunce or child killer then Armageddon has surely arrived.

They don't belong here, they're sick twisted and need to be all rounded up and strung up by their nuts and bolts....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
So tell me, how many times this has happened in Ireland or England since it happened ?

The warning signs were there as far as I knew they were not like other kid's, we'd have to delve into a lot of files to filter it out.

Who's mentioning politics ?

I know you like challenging me now and again, but this is a different story....
YOU brought politics into it.
YOU are using horrendous crimes to have a go at what you call "lefties"

Tell me - if, as far as you know the warning signs were there - what were those warning signs? who saw them? Who understood them? How did they learn to recognise them? What files should be delved into? Who complies these files? Where do they get the data to put in these files?

By studying and seeking to understand why people commit these crimes. Not defend. Not excuse. Understand to find ways to prevent.

"Not like other kids" - well shut down all behavioural science units immediately. Apparently "not like other kids" is all we need to know.

As for liking to challange you - I couldn't give a monkeys about you. It's not about YOU. It's about the utter tastelessness of ANYONE using horrific crimes against children to get political digs in.
03-01-2019, 13:45   #44
manonboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto lover View Post
Evil psychopaths lack empathy.
My own lads used to cry if our wee dog was sick and they'd sit with him all night.
These evil feckers wanted to inflict pain and enjoyed watching a little tot suffer. Completely different to the norm and completely cunning, calculating and evil.
The world doesn't need their sort.
tayto, as a thought experiment. May i ask,
if your own lads for some reason suddenly had less empathy, either due to a nuerological change, a injury, or a immune system response (some biological trigger).. would you class them as evil? They wouldnt have the ability to make the same decisions as you and I. They would do things that appear evil because they dont feel empathy.
If the answer is no, then i dont think they psychopaths of any type can be called evil consistently since they obviously have experienced something, likely biological, to end up in the same circumstance.

I'm pretty curious in a genuine way. I have autism and when I was younger it took me a very long time to develop empathy to a level like everyone else. The feelings and responses seem so 'far away' that it was too energy consuming/time consuming to surface them. So I certainly did things that I wouldnt do now because i empathize alot more now. I theorized when younger i could be evil.. but later reasoned it's not possible for the reasons stated above. Just curious. Hope its ok that i asked.
(2) thanks from:
03-01-2019, 13:45   #45
donkeykong5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong5 View Post
He did, whether that was by daytime tv or previous I don’t know. Either way they were never going to approve of such an alternative perception.

Like I said, the emotional cost is all on the family.
He did not inform them. They heard about it when the film was oscar nominated. Which is disgusting and sly and not on.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion