Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2019, 14:53   #391
Porklife

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
The film was released and screened without any 'outrage' and the twitterati outraged didn't notice it. It was only when it was nominated for an award (something he could not have depended on or influenced) that they whipped up the hounds.

It gives the complete lie to your amateur psychology. And whoop de doo, film maker wants to further his career by making the best film he can shocker! Your amateur detective work needs some attention too.
What detective work? When did I claim to be a detective? I also haven't added any amateur psychology. I said I'm fascinated by serial killers and have read loads of books about the likes of Dahmer and the Wests. Not claiming that brings me any closer to understanding them or their actions.
Of course he wanted to make a good film and obviously it is very well made, that's got nothing to do with my point. Your post is ridiculous.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 17:35   #392
FrancieBrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porklife View Post
What detective work? When did I claim to be a detective? I also haven't added any amateur psychology. I said I'm fascinated by serial killers and have read loads of books about the likes of Dahmer and the Wests. Not claiming that brings me any closer to understanding them or their actions.
Of course he wanted to make a good film and obviously it is very well made, that's got nothing to do with my point. Your post is ridiculous.
The amateur 'detective' deduced that there was sinister intent in wanting to make a film to further his career.
And the amateur 'psychologist' reckons that his only motivation was notoriety and therefore wealth.

BOTH are based on supposition that are not borne out by fact.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 18:23   #393
pleas advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Savage View Post
8.8 on imdb ... typical "liberals", and people wonder why sensible people are leaving the left in droves and why Trump won.
its good so? i might give it a watch
10-01-2019, 18:45   #394
Calltocall

Quote:
The amateur 'detective' deduced that there was sinister intent in wanting to make a film to further his career.
And the amateur 'psychologist' reckons that his only motivation was notoriety and therefore wealth.

BOTH are based on supposition that are not borne out by fact.
It’s your opinion that Lambe didn’t aim to profit or gain notoriety, it’s the posters opinion that it was Lambes aim, you mention the posters opinion is not borne out by fact but you don’t know that, only Lambe does, it’s a board of opinions at the end of the day
(2) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 18:51   #395
FrancieBrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calltocall View Post
It’s your opinion that Lambe didn’t aim to profit or gain notoriety, it’s the posters opinion that it was Lambes aim, you mention the posters opinion is not borne out by fact but you don’t know that, only Lambe does, it’s a board of opinions at the end of the day
Yes I do know that.

He couldn't have known that he would get a nomination, thousands of short films are made every year.
There is no financial reward to be gained from a short film and the same thousands lose money mostly.

So either he was very stupid in the path he chose or he is just a sincere film maker responding to stories and events that interest him.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 11:57   #396
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme A Pound View Post
"Everyone is essentially good but how they turn out depends on nurture" is a nice idea - and one I believed in for a long time, but it's not true.
I get you, and I agree that some people are incapable of being 'good' for sure despite all the best efforts of those influencing them. I see nature vs. nurture as a hardware vs. software issue. The hardware can only be compensated for so much by good software and bad software can ruin a good machine.
If they're born such that they can't be helped to be 'good' by outside influence I don't think it's any fairer to completely vilify them than if they had been brought up badly.
I'm not saying we shouldn't still condemn bad acts, society's disapproval has its role as a correcting factor and our justice system keeps society safe, orderly and tries to steer people in the right direction.
I think at the point that something like the Bolger killing has happened it makes more sense to try and understand why rather than just point fingers at the evil doers. There's a reason they acted the way they did and be it nature, nurture or more likely a combination of both, I think it's ultimately beyond their control.
11-01-2019, 12:13   #397
Porklife

Quote:
Yes I do know that.

He couldn't have known that he would get a nomination, thousands of short films are made every year.
There is no financial reward to be gained from a short film and the same thousands lose money mostly.

So either he was very stupid in the path he chose or he is just a sincere film maker responding to stories and events that interest him.
He may not have known that it would get nominated but he was obviously hoping it would do well and would therefore up his profile and earn him money. Are you really saying that he made the film with no profit in mind?

Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:11   #398
Calltocall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowloon View Post
I get you, and I agree that some people are incapable of being 'good' for sure despite all the best efforts of those influencing them. I see nature vs. nurture as a hardware vs. software issue. The hardware can only be compensated for so much by good software and bad software can ruin a good machine.
If they're born such that they can't be helped to be 'good' by outside influence I don't think it's any fairer to completely vilify them than if they had been brought up badly.
I'm not saying we shouldn't still condemn bad acts, society's disapproval has its role as a correcting factor and our justice system keeps society safe, orderly and tries to steer people in the right direction.
I think at the point that something like the Bolger killing has happened it makes more sense to try and understand why rather than just point fingers at the evil doers. There's a reason they acted the way they did and be it nature, nurture or more likely a combination of both, I think it's ultimately beyond their control.
You make good points, your last one however is one point that galls me about this case, I don’t want to veer too far off course but if you look at say the crime which is in the papers and news here at the moment of a foreign lady being brutally murdered allegedly by someone close to her you will see that the suspect in this case is clearly suffering from severe mental health issues, in these types of cases you can say it’s beyond their control however I have never believed that to be in the case of James Bulger, if you look at the two boys, they tried to cover their tracks, denied their actions when questioned, displayed cunning/manipulation etc, imo they knew exactly what they were doing.

I believe there are two ends of the spectrum to this case, on one end the burn them at the stake/execute them mob believing they are evil incarnate and at the other end would be the near apologists/the excuse seekers because of their traumatic childhoods etc. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle, two bad kids (for various reasons including background) with malice intent who battered and tortured a two year old to death for kicks, at least one of them in all probability was a psychopath albeit a very young one.

Now for me once they commit an act like they did they forfeit sympathy, I don’t care for any deep insightful questions into their childhood such as omg what went wrong in their childhoods must of been horrific, oh the poor things it’s just terrible etc etc etc my only concern from then on is how do we protect society, my kids, your kids, our loved ones etc from individuals like this, what is the fitting punishment that needs to be dealt out to show that there are serious consequences for butchering a toddler, that they would not be coddled in care and probed by shrinks and soothed to ensure they are not upset. Strong punishment is required for horrific crimes like this as it protects all of us, if we skew it too far in the favour of the criminal which I sometimes think the judiciary here do we are failing to protect our communities and society as a whole. In this case I do not believe they received a fitting punishment they were coddled and released far too early, their rehab stint clearly hasn’t worked for Venables. While Lambe’s sentiment in making this film is nice I think it’s bs, there will unfortunately always be thousands upon thousands of kids that have bad upbringings and then there will unfortunately be the one in a million like venables/thompson who have the toxic combination of a bad upbringing and the key, a lack of an empathy switch, all of the documentaries/short films in the world won’t change that and our focus should be on how we protect society from such individuals.

Last edited by Calltocall; 12-01-2019 at 08:28.
11-01-2019, 15:14   #399
Porklife

Quote:
You make good points, your last point however is one point that galls me about this case, I don’t want to veer too far off here but if you look at say the crime which is in the papers and news here at the moment of a foreign lady being brutally murdered by allegedly someone close to her you will see that the suspect in this case is clearly suffering from severe mental health issues, in these type of cases you can say it’s beyond their control however I have never believed that to be in the case of James Bulger, if you look at the two boys, they tried to cover their tracks, denied their actions when questioned, displayed cunning/manipulation etc, imo they knew exactly what they were doing.

I believe there are two ends of the spectrum in this case, the burn them at the stake/execute them mob believing they are evil incarnate and the other end would be the near apologists/the excuse seekers because of traumatic childhoods etc. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle, two bad kids (for various reasons including background) with malice intent who battered and tortured a two year old to death for kicks, at least one of them in all probability was a psychopath albeit a very young one.

Now for me once they commit an act like they did they forfeit sympathy, I don’t care for any deep insightful questions into their childhood such as omg what went wrong in their childhoods must of been horrific etc etc etc my only concern from then on is how do we protect greater society, my kids, your kids, our loved ones etc from individuals like this, what is the fitting punishment that needs to be dealt out to show that there are serious consequences for butchering a toddler, that they would not be coddled in care and probed by shrinks to sooth them and ensure they are not upset. Strong punishment is needed for horrific crimes like this it protects all of us, if we skew it too far in the favour of the criminal which I sometimes think the judiciary here do we are failing to protect our communities and greater society. In this case I do not believe they received a fitting punishment they were coddled and let out far too early and their rehab clearly hasn’t worked for Venables, while Lambe’s sentiment in making this film is nice I think it’s bs, there will unfortunately always be thousands upon thousands of kids that have bad upbringings and then there will unfortunately be again the one in a million kids like venables and thompson who have the toxic combination of a bad upbringing and the key lack of the empathy switch, all of the documentaries/short films in the world won’t change that and our focus should be more on how do we protect society from such individuals.
Excellent post and I agree with every word. I think you've very eloquently hit the nail on the head.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 16:18   #400
FrancieBrady

Quote:
He may not have known that it would get nominated but he was obviously hoping it would do well and would therefore up his profile and earn him money.
Again with the cut rate psychology. Take a look at his career, he is motivated by interest in stories and people.

Quote:
Are you really saying that he made the film with no profit in mind?

Yes, he even says it in the interview. Nobody making a short film is motivated by making money. If you knew what you were talking about you would know that is ridiculous.
11-01-2019, 17:59   #401
kowloon

Quote:
... in these type of cases you can say it’s beyond their control however I have never believed that to be in the case of James Bulger, if you look at the two boys, they tried to cover their tracks, denied their actions when questioned, displayed cunning/manipulation etc, imo they knew exactly what they were doing.
Someone with mental health issues can manipulate and plot like a pro, they could plan a murder long in advance, but what leads them down that path is what I believe is beyond their control. Condemn the act and lock them away for the safety of society, but it all stems from something that we should try to understand.
I think we'll eventually understand the proximate causes of human behaviour like this and we'll able to reliably predict or even treat people like them, but not any time soon.
That said, I doubt any documentary is going to shed useful light on anything.
11-01-2019, 18:05   #402
Porklife

Quote:
Again with the cut rate psychology. Take a look at his career, he is motivated by interest in stories and people.

Yes, he even says it in the interview. Nobody making a short film is motivated by making money. If you knew what you were talking about you would know that is ridiculous.
And you're a professional psychologist are ya? Get over yourself you clown.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 18:11   #403
FrancieBrady

Quote:
And you're a professional psychologist are ya? Get over yourself you clown.
No. I work on the facts. I don't guess what he was thinking based on a lack of understanding of the film business.

Nice bit of invective there though.
11-01-2019, 19:39   #404
Grandeeod

Quote:
He may not have known that it would get nominated but he was obviously hoping it would do well and would therefore up his profile and earn him money. Are you really saying that he made the film with no profit in mind?

You are not a filmmaker of any kind. You have absolutely no idea how a filmmaker thinks and in particular how a filmmaker writing and directing a short film approaches things. You are making assumptions because you disagree with the context of the film.

Some facts Porklife -

You do not make money from a short film.
Your profile may be raised, if the short film is popular, but more often than not, it isn't and you head back to obscurity.
The reaction to this film since the publicity will most likely damage Vincent Lambes fledgling career.
The film was premiered a year ago and has been around the festival circuit for over 6 months now.
The Director did not court controversy or notoriety at any point over the last year.
The fact that it got linked with the Oscars, which has nothing to do with the Director, is the reason this thread exists and you are spouting baloney like a lot of others. You haven't seen it either. You are on a bandwagon.
(5) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 14:29   #405
Porklife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeeod View Post
You are not a filmmaker of any kind. You have absolutely no idea how a filmmaker thinks and in particular how a filmmaker writing and directing a short film approaches things. You are making assumptions because you disagree with the context of the film.

Some facts Porklife -

You do not make money from a short film.
Your profile may be raised, if the short film is popular, but more often than not, it isn't and you head back to obscurity.
The reaction to this film since the publicity will most likely damage Vincent Lambes fledgling career.
The film was premiered a year ago and has been around the festival circuit for over 6 months now.
The Director did not court controversy or notoriety at any point over the last year.
The fact that it got linked with the Oscars, which has nothing to do with the Director, is the reason this thread exists and you are spouting baloney like a lot of others. You haven't seen it either. You are on a bandwagon.
Lol... Yeah I'm on a bandwagon and know nothing about the case. Try telling the above 'facts' to Denise Fergus asshole.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion