Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: I would support an Asylum Centre in my small rural town
Yes, I would support it 123 25.84%
No, I would not support it 353 74.16%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

25-11-2018, 16:10   #61
CinemaGuy45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenshen View Post
I agree, there are just so many orange girls now that the christmas party season has started. I understand that it's the way the want to look, but I do find it rather disturbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockford Ollie View Post
I drive around the city and the percentage of non whites is depressing.
Only joined this month and that poster is posting racist crap anybody would think it is a leftwing plant to do a false flag on us.

I don't agree with the immigration centre but I also don't agree with that kind of racism.

Last edited by CinemaGuy45; 25-11-2018 at 16:14.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 16:15   #62
Shenshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post
Any comment on the particular details, or do you make similar generic comments on any old fire anywhere anytime?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't just "any old fire", it's an arson attack. A deliberate one, willfully endangering human life.

It's cowardly, despicable and low. And I do hope they catch the perpetrators and lock them up.
25-11-2018, 16:18   #63
dav3

Quote:
Any comment on the particular details, or do you make similar generic comments on any old fire anywhere anytime?
The particular details are that someone tried to burn down a building with two people asleep inside. There’s not much else to say is there?
25-11-2018, 16:19   #64
strandroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red and Green View Post
Why are halting sites and migrant centres never put in affluent areas in Dublin? Surely the irish Times readers would be happy to experience some diversity?
There are numerous halting sites in South Dublin actually. I could name four that you can basically see from the dart alone. Not sure about migrant centres.
(3) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 16:20   #65
mammajamma

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't just "any old fire", it's an arson attack. A deliberate one, willfully endangering human life.

It's cowardly, despicable and low. And I do hope they catch the perpetrators and lock them up.
Okay, I'll explicitly state the obvious. Forgive me for assuming "goes without saying".

Yes, an arson fire. I don't agree with it in principle, but I do question the reasons and history behind it.

Now. Any comment to make on the particular details? The bigger picture?

Do you agree with these centres being set up where they are, and how they are?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 16:22   #66
CinemaGuy45

Quote:
Okay, I'll explicitly state the obvious. Forgive me for assuming "goes without saying".

Yes, an arson fire. I don't agree with it in principle, but I do question the reasons and history behind it.

Yes, they agree with the centres just not on their doorstep.
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 16:26   #67
_Brian

I’ve no problem with genuine caes. They need to be promptly assessed and decisions made no matter how tough.
People who need help should get help. I think the responsibility should be back on those claiming asylum to prove they have an entitlement. Coming here saying it’s dangerous back home isn’t sufficient.

After that give them asylum and get them working, they’re not entitled to SW supports until they have 104 weeks contributions made.

This current scenario where we rack and stack them in expensive centres with no decision for years on end while they can’t work is stupid and costly.
25-11-2018, 16:27   #68
Shenshen

Quote:

Can I please check that I understand this correctly - you're doubting that arson and potential homicide should always be condemned? That given the right political reason, they can be excused?

I don't know enough about the particular case you're referring to. The articles you linked quoted several local citizens who were looking forward to welcoming the asylum seekers and were organising support groups for them, so based on this I'm not sure what problem you seem to be seeing?
25-11-2018, 16:28   #69
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3 View Post
The particular details are that someone tried to burn down a building with two people asleep inside. There’s not much else to say is there?
Hundreds of hours and thousands of detailed pages of reports on an assassination that involved multiple complex motivations and far-reaching consequences nationally and internationally.

After hours detective is hired to unravel the mystery.

Conclusion "A bloke was shot."

The above post is such an unbelievable attempt to side-step reality its funny Have a like!

Last edited by mammajamma; 25-11-2018 at 16:34.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 16:28   #70
UrbanFret

Why are we taking them in anyway? They are not Europeans so I doubt we are under any obligation to take them in unless a moral one.
Thanks from:
25-11-2018, 16:29   #71
mammajamma

Quote:
Can I please check that I understand this correctly - you're doubting that arson and potential homicide should always be condemned? That given the right political reason, they can be excused?
Im glad you checked, because youre wrong. That is not what I said, at the very least not what I meant.

Now, for the third time, anything to say about the bigger picture of this, beyond "arson is bad"?
25-11-2018, 16:32   #72
Will I Am Not

There’s an easy solution to all this. Why not place all refugees/economic migrants with the right on, leafy suburb inhabitants that are all for it? Instead of in the nasty, racist, working class towns or insular, small town, bog spots?
25-11-2018, 16:32   #73
Atoms for Peace

Poll is a bit pants. Most people wouldn't have a problem with genuine cases from actual war zones such as Syria and the Congo, but from Brazil and S. Africa is just taking the piss.
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 16:32   #74
Shenshen

Quote:
Im glad you checked, because youre wrong. That is not what I said, at the very least not what I meant.

Now, for the third time, anything to say about the bigger picture of this, beyond "arson is bad"?
What bigger picture are you talking about, exactly?
You posted a link about a community preparing to welcome refugees, and another one on a criminal arson attack.

I'm happy that the locals organised support groups and were looking forward to contributing and helping the people who were set to arrive.
I'm worried that someone then set fire to a building people were sleeping in.

Does this address it for you?
25-11-2018, 16:34   #75
Shenshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atoms for Peace View Post
Poll is a bit pants. Most people wouldn't have a problem with genuine cases from actual war zones such as Syria and the Congo, but from Brazil and S. Africa is just taking the piss.
I don't know - given Brazil's history, and given it's current possible political future, I would not be fast to doubt that there may well be people living there genuinely fearing for their lives and safety because of their political convictions.
Thread Closed