Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: I would support an Asylum Centre in my small rural town
Yes, I would support it 123 25.84%
No, I would not support it 353 74.16%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

25-11-2018, 14:26   #16
Richard Hillman

The Germans put a lot of their migrants in small rural towns. It's handy because when the backward rural folk complain about their crimes, the metropolitan liberals can just tar them as racists.

The same strategy is happening here. Although Mr Varadkar and Mr Coveney should be aware that Merkel is getting chucked out for it and will need high level security for the rest of her life. The 2 boys probably won't be bothered as they gunning down a retirement gig at the UN.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 14:28   #17
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post
An article on the new direct provision centre in the small Donegal town of Moville, posted on the irish times just 11 hours ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37556724.html

And a quote form an activist "this is hugely positive for the town and the cultural diversity will be amazing." Also " if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through"

Overnight, the hotel was set on fire, as reported here;

https://www.thejournal.ie/fire-movil...59104-Nov2018/

As seems to be the case with these places, the people of the town were the last to know about their imminent diversification. Same thing in Wicklow, same thing in Rooskey in Sligo and elsewhere too I suppose.

The asylum seekers are earmarked to come from Syria, Brazil, Congo, Georgia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc. Most of the countries are very suspect in terms of "refugee" countries in my opinion.

What will happen next is now up in the air.

You'd wonder why the likes of Zappone doesn't make provision in her own locality? The people of Rooskey should pay particular attention to how this all unfolds.

I think its quite obvious, albeit anecdotally, that the vast majority of people don't want these centers in their tiny towns. And it appears that if the government is willing to throw these small towns under the bus, then people will start to take direct action.

If you lived in a small community and learned of a direct provision centre being set up, would you support it, or not support it? Why?

From what I read last week loads of folk in the town were in favour of using the Hotel for asylum seekers.

Have you got the actual figures for and against?
25-11-2018, 14:30   #18
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hillman View Post
The Germans put a lot of their migrants in small rural towns. It's handy because when the backward rural folk complain about their crimes, the metropolitan liberals can just tar them as racists.

The same strategy is happening here. Although Mr Varadkar and Mr Coveney should be aware that Merkel is getting chucked out for it and will need high level security for the rest of her life. The 2 boys probably won't be bothered as they gunning down a retirement gig at the UN.
I honestly don't know what exactly is happening in other countries, but I'm not surprised at this strategy here, or that it would be used elsewhere.

Its all so very convenient to dump these people in the least likely places to be able to afford it, and least likely to be able to politically challenge it. Out of sight, out of mind.

From the irish times article, it is referenced that other places have received next to no resources. These places are just convenient dumping grounds.
(3) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:33   #19
backspin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hillman View Post

It's cheaper too. Small rural towns normally have cheap or unused buildings that would be more difficult to find in large towns and cities.
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:35   #20
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneemos View Post
From what I read last week loads of folk in the town were in favour of using the Hotel for asylum seekers.

Have you got the actual figures for and against?
I think you really have to be cynical of reported news. Talk to people on the ground and you'll get a much different picture of "welcome"

You could have 10 people come out in support of it, then it could be reported as "many people are in favour".

And don't dismiss people from very far away throwing in their support too. Theres some kind of link with a activist centre in Derry supporting this. 500 people "like" their facebook/twitter page, and hey presto, now "loads support the idea in Moville".

So to answer your question, no, there wont be any publicly available information on numbers for and against this in Donegal. The only solid way is to talk to people from there. It is made practically impossible. And that's probably not a mistake.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 14:39   #21
Yer Da sells Avon

This woman in Ballaghaderreen sums up my own views. However, dumping people into direct provision centres for lengthy periods of time doesn't seem very humane, especially in crap towns that lack the infrastructure for the populations they already have.
25-11-2018, 14:44   #22
Cockford Ollie
Banned

I think they should be held in a big off shore tanker or one of the uninhabited barren islands while thier applications are being processed.
25-11-2018, 14:46   #23
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
This woman in Ballaghaderreen sums up my own views. However, dumping people into direct provision centres for lengthy periods of time doesn't seem very humane, especially in crap towns that lack the infrastructure for the populations they already have.
Again, I very much question this idea that "the vast majority support it" from news articles where there is always a complete absence of numbers.

Why cant the people of a small community be allowed have a counted consensus on what is going to dramatically impact their daily lives? Why not a vote? Why not report those numbers?

I also question an article, in particular, that focuses on one single person, throws out the "vast majority" thing, and then finishes with a supportive quote from a vested NGO.

Also, referring to them as "crap towns" really is the icing on the cake for these communities, and says so much.
25-11-2018, 14:48   #24
conorhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspin. View Post
It's cheaper too. Small rural towns normally have cheap or unused buildings that would be more difficult to find in large towns and cities.

And very remote. There aren't even public transport links to Dublin where these peoples cases are being heard... sort of an odd place to dump people. It's almost as if there's an agenda at play, is the Beara Peninsula perhaps a little 'too Irish' for the liking of some? Perhaps in need of the full benefits for the wonders of multiculturalism weather they want them or not?
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 14:49   #25
Accumulator

A larger provincial town would probably suffice, what is 100 new folks in a town of 1300 going to do?

Assuming they're not doctors and engineers, there is only so much typical 1st gen migration blue-collar/unskilled work available,
and <10yrs the auto-johnny minicab, robotic burger flipper and automatic dishwasher3000 will slurp up all the low-skilled work anyways.
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:51   #26
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
A larger provincial town would probably suffice, what is 100 new folks in a town of 1300 going to do?

Assuming they're not doctors and engineers, there is only so much typical 1st gen migration blue-collar/unskilled work available,
and <10yrs the auto-johnny minicab, robotic burger flipper and automatic dishwasher3000 will slurp up all the low-skilled work anyways.
That's the forward thinking and planning of our government for you
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:53   #27
mammajamma

I like how so many are in support of this, going from the poll, yet nobody has made a comment on why.

Surely that point of view can be logically defended?
(2) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:53   #28
CinemaGuy45

No chance the fire was caused by an electrical fault?
(3) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:56   #29
Spleerbun

Not trying to be funny, but is there some war or something going on in Nigeria that I'm not aware of? What makes Nigerians refugees? And if there is a genuine reason I'm not aware of, are there not dozens of surrounding countries that are perfectly viable alternatives for them?? Africa is an utterly enormous continent and Europe just doesn't have enough room to accommodate them all of them. I don't see any good argument for them coming all the way here tbh
25-11-2018, 14:58   #30
dav3

Well the first step would be to condem an arson attack I would have thought. I think most reasonable intelligent people would condem it.

Leave the dregs of Irish society to applaud it. They’re going nowhere, except prison. Just like their parents and grandparents before them.
Thread Closed