Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: I would support an Asylum Centre in my small rural town
Yes, I would support it 123 25.84%
No, I would not support it 353 74.16%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

25-11-2018, 13:53   #1
mammajamma

Donegal Asylum Centre Torched

An article on the new direct provision centre in the small Donegal town of Moville, posted on the irish times just 11 hours ago.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37556724.html

And a quote form an activist "this is hugely positive for the town and the cultural diversity will be amazing." Also " if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through"

Overnight, the hotel was set on fire, as reported here;

https://www.thejournal.ie/fire-movil...59104-Nov2018/

As seems to be the case with these places, the people of the town were the last to know about their imminent diversification. Same thing in Wicklow, same thing in Rooskey in Sligo and elsewhere too I suppose.

The asylum seekers are earmarked to come from Syria, Brazil, Congo, Georgia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc. Most of the countries are very suspect in terms of "refugee" countries in my opinion.

What will happen next is now up in the air.

You'd wonder why the likes of Zappone doesn't make provision in her own locality? The people of Rooskey should pay particular attention to how this all unfolds.

I think its quite obvious, albeit anecdotally, that the vast majority of people don't want these centers in their tiny towns. And it appears that if the government is willing to throw these small towns under the bus, then people will start to take direct action.

If you lived in a small community and learned of a direct provision centre being set up, would you support it, or not support it? Why?

EDIT: A bunch of people stating support for this in the poll, yet a complete absence of a comment on why. Reminds me very much of this silly cartoon (not a perfect analogy, but close enough)

EDIT 2: I came across what seems to be the only video of the townhall meeting that was held in Donegal. Its 30 odd minutes long, but at least skim through it to see the sheer ineptitude on display. Excellent questions raised, truly terrible "answers" provided. What a shambles. To save time, just skip to the 7 minute mark, unless you want to hear the generic, pointless "pitch".

Last edited by mammajamma; 25-11-2018 at 23:39.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 13:58   #2
Berties_Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammajamma View Post
An article on the new direct provision centre in the small Donegal town of Moville, posted on the irish times just 11 hours ago.

And a quote form an activist "this is hugely positive for the town and the cultural diversity will be amazing." Also " if people have to queue a bit longer at the doctor's surgery or make room in the classrooms for more children, it's a small price to pay compared to what the people seeking asylum have gone through"

As seems to be the case with these places, the people of the town were the last to know about their imminent diversification. Same thing in Wicklow, same thing in Rooskey in Sligo and elsewhere too I suppose.

The asylum seekers are earmarked to come from Syria, Brazil, Congo, Georgia, Pakistan, Nigeria etc. Most of the countries are very suspect in terms of "refugee" countries in my opinion.

You'd wonder why the likes of Zappone doesn't make provision in her own locality? The people of Rooskey should pay particular attention to how this all unfolds.

I think its quite obvious, albeit anecdotally, that the vast majority of people don't want these centers in their tiny towns. And it appears that if the government is willing to throw these small towns under the bus, then people will start to take direct action.

If you lived in a small community and learned of a direct provision centre being set up, would you support it, or not support it? Why?
Lisdoonvarna in Clare, locals were left out of decision-making process despite being vehemently opposed. Zappone and her cosseted ilk can take a long walk off a short pier.
25-11-2018, 13:59   #3
questionmark?

I got my suspicions that the asylum seekers wouldn't have liked to move to Moville either!!
25-11-2018, 14:03   #4
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
Lisdoonvarna in Clare, locals were left out of decision-making process despite being vehemently opposed. Zappone and her cosseted ilk can take a long walk off a short pier.
It seems to be quite apparent what is happening here. In areas of large population where there is more "power" behind peoples voices politically, the government have decided to take sneaky advantage of the relative weakness of small rural towns.

The politicians say diversification is great (when viewed through binoculars a million miles away from here they live themselves)
25-11-2018, 14:04   #5
Allinall

Quote:

Not so subtle condoning of criminal activity to support racism.

Well done OP.
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 14:06   #6
whiskeyman

Locals attempt at giving them a warm welcome...
25-11-2018, 14:06   #7
alchemist33

Anyone got any figues for how many asylum seekers are housed in Dublin and/or the countryside?
25-11-2018, 14:07   #8
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allinall View Post
Not so subtle condoning of criminal activity to support racism.

Well done OP.
Otherwise known in reality as "the news".

You know, when things happen that are of enough importance they receive national broadcast on television and media.

Your post is a not so subtle "don't pay attention" to support undemocratic, unwanted government decisions.

Well done yourself.
25-11-2018, 14:13   #9
Allinall

Quote:
Otherwise known in reality as "the news".

You know, when things happen that are of enough importance they receive national broadcast on television and media.

Your post is a not so subtle "don't pay attention" to support undemocratic, unwanted government decisions.

Well done yourself.
Undemocratic eh?

How’d you figure that one out?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 14:14   #10
mammajamma

Quote:
Undemocratic eh?

How’d you figure that one out?
So far you have contributed "racism!"

How about making a case for why you support asylum centres in small rural towns?
25-11-2018, 14:17   #11
Allinall

Quote:
So far you have contributed "racism!"

How about making a case for why you support asylum centres in small rural towns?
Any answer to your “undemocratic” claim?

What makes you think I support asylum centers in small towns?
Thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:17   #12
CinemaGuy45

Well, I have to say posting on this thread seems like a waste of time the people of Donegal did not expend a load of hot air on a forum.

The poll is a waste of time along with the way the whole thread is framed.

What has happened has happened the way I would have framed it is not if we agree or disagree with the question I would have asked is anybody surprised by this or could we have seen it coming?
(3) thanks from:
25-11-2018, 14:18   #13
Richard Hillman

Patriots
25-11-2018, 14:23   #14
mammajamma

Quote:
Any answer to your “undemocratic” claim?

What makes you think I support asylum centers in small towns?
I presume undemocratic because;

1) The locals were not consulted about anything beforehand.
2) The locals were apparently "the last to know"
3) This appears to be echoed in several other places where it as already happened.
4) By reading the articles attached to the OP
5) (In one single instance so far) somebody felt politically disempowered to the point that they took criminal action

And so forth.

What makes me think you support it?

1) Your very post didn't remark anything about the news
2) You immediately dropped the "racism!" bomb.
3) You have said nothing about the subject at hand in subsequent posts, preferring to nitpick at my statements

So that's where my assumption is coming from that you support these centres in small rural towns.

Now that ive answered your questions, answer mine. Do you support them or not, and why?

EDIT: And of course, the poster was never seen again

Last edited by mammajamma; 25-11-2018 at 17:11.
25-11-2018, 14:26   #15
mammajamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaGuy45 View Post
Well, I have to say posting on this thread seems like a waste of time the people of Donegal did not expend a load of hot air on a forum.

The poll is a waste of time along with the way the whole thread is framed.

What has happened has happened the way I would have framed it is not if we agree or disagree with the question I would have asked is anybody surprised by this or could we have seen it coming?
Absolutely true to certain extents. But its important at the same time to debate and talk about these developments, otherwise they get brushed under the carpet.

As for the poll, as you say, people clicking the "yes I support it", but absolutely no commentary on why its a good idea to them.
Thread Closed