Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should she make contact

Options
  • 20-11-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Thanks to someone on Boards I managed to find my friends father and get all his details and a family photo.
    Her father died 27 yrs ago and his wife died 10 yrs ago but they had 3 children now in their 50's.
    She wants to get in touch with them but I'm in 2 minds as whether she should.
    How did anyone here make contact with half brothers and sisters and how did it work out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

argentum wrote: »
    Thanks to someone on Boards I managed to find my friends father and get all his details and a family photo.
    Her father died 27 yrs ago and his wife died 10 yrs ago but they had 3 children now in their 50's.
    She wants to get in touch with them but I'm in 2 minds as whether she should.
    How did anyone here make contact with half brothers and sisters and how did it work out.

I recently made contact with my birth mother and my sister and brother after 53 years, it has very positive and we are in daily contact on FB messenger, we are planning a reunion soon. Your friend should go to TUSLA and get them involved because there are so many things to consider and they will give her the best advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I made contact with siblings and cousins when I traced my birth mother and it was a positive experiecnce.

Have you traced your friends siblings yet?

Maybe finding out something about them or even seeing pictures of them on social media may help you come to a decision.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭argentum

Just as a follow up yes I found them on social media and got in touch with a phone call. Big shock as you can imagine and one in particular has been very nice in our conversations but Two of them don't want to know( not sure how I'd react either in fairness ) However they have asked to do a DNA test to prove one way or the other and that's acceptable to everyone just to be sure. Now to try and find info on how to do a DNA test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Just do the ancestry one or similar. If one of the siblings does it too then they should match. It takes about a month for results once you send it off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It may take a bit longer for results to come back because of the Christmas rush but at the same time prices may be a bit lower for the same reasons.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement