Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Carlton K Whinge Binge...dedicated thread **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dan and Simon from GCN will be doing the stage recon rides for the Giro which should be pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

greenspurs wrote: »
    I thought "Wiggo" would be too cool/Mod to appear on Eurosport.

That TDF winners cheque doesn't last forever. He does a few podcasts for them and is quiet good and not up his own arse. I think he said himself when he was wrapped up in the sky bubble he wasn't a nice person and has chilled out alot more now

Be interesting to see what the GCN guys do. I gave up on them & the shows a good while back

neris wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what the GCN guys do. I gave up on them & the shows a good while back

Ever since Matt Stevens left and they hired a whole batch of new people I think it has gone down hill (excuse the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ever since Matt Stevens left and they hired a whole batch of new people I think it has gone down hill (excuse the pun)

Went downhill before he left. Got to commercial and reliant on paid promotions and product placements

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

neris wrote: »
    Went downhill before he left. Got to commercial and reliant on paid promotions and product placements

It's their job, they ought to be paid! It's very difficult to make money on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

What happened to Jonathon Edwards? Didn't Eurosport make a big deal about him joining the channel?

Too many ex-Sky associations with that new lot. I'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

velo.2010 wrote: »
    What happened to Jonathon Edwards? Didn't Eurosport make a big deal about him joining the channel?

Too many ex-Sky associations with that new lot. I'll give it a miss.

Even though I am irish I cannot stand that Orla woman's voice and the never ending giggling

I thought Jonathan Edwards was quite good...and before I like Ashley
    Guess TV presenting is a very fickle world
    JA Fletcha and Alberto COntador ??? Are they gone too ?

I would watch if Wigoo let lose and started calling Dave & Froome c**ts
    Or had a massive tirade on fraking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'll be interested to hear Wiggins's commentary. Depending on what I hear or read by him or about him I veer between liking him and strongly disliking him. Regardless of my view of him though, I'm choosing to be optimistic and hope that he'll provide an informed and experienced (about cycling) voice as a commentator, the polar opposite of Kirby basically.

In a similar vein, I listened to some commentary by Armstrong last year on one of the grand tours. The very idea of the man tends to make my skin crawl, I only listened to satisfy my curiosity as I'd read some glowing reviews of his pieces and wondered whether they were just horribly biased. When I tuned out the man and his legacy, admittedly not easy, what he had to say was surprisingly interesting. I still felt icky afterwards though.

I've had to put up with Kirby quite a bit recently, and every time I tell myself I can tune him out he proves me wrong. Amongst the many recent things that have been melting my head are his constant references to Roglic's past. "He was a skier", "Did you know he was a skier?", "He was a skier you know", "He used to throw himself off mountains" ...what? That last one. Just what? ...I can think of someone I'd like to throw off a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Wiggins is very good on his podcast, witty and balanced views. Looking forward to him on Eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Carlton's doing his other French gig this weekend....Le Mans. Been decent so far for the bits I've seen . It's after midnight there now so you'd have to allow him the odd blunder.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got his book? Have to admit I'm tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I thought Eurosport had more than enough commentators on their rota but they have "unearthed" another gem to do solo commentary on the Baloise tour in Belgium this week. Haven't heard him before but there were more "umms" and "ehhhs" than in a typical gaa players interview on the Sunday Game

cunavalos wrote: »
    I thought Eurosport had more than enough commentators on their rota but they have "unearthed" another gem to do solo commentary on the Baloise tour in Belgium this week. Haven't heard him before but there were more "umms" and "ehhhs" than in a typical gaa players interview on the Sunday Game

Oh I felt sorry for this lad, sounded like a staffer who was told sure it's on the player no one is listening after admitting to knowing a bit about cycling in the office.

They had Jonathan Harris-Bass and Gibb calling Hungary, which was ok actually.

Edit: Actually there were 4 races to cover today , Dauphine, Suisse, Hungary, and Belgium. Next week is looking just as busy with Suisse, Slovenia, Route de Sud or what over it is now that Uran is in and still won't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

cunavalos wrote: »

Oh I felt sorry for this lad, sounded like a staffer who was told sure it's on the player no one is listening after admitting to knowing a bit about cycling in the office.

Edit: Actually there were 4 races to cover today , Dauphine, Suisse, Hungary, and Belgium. Next week is looking just as busy with Suisse, Slovenia, Route de Sud or what over it is now that Uran is in and still won't win.
    Actually that makes sense with Kirby doing le mans as mentioned earlier and they also covered the women's tour of Britain too. We were always going to end up with a few new faces (voices)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

You take that back right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Why can he not say come into view, it always has to be hove into view. It's just weird

Why can he not say come into view, it always has to be hove into view. It's just weird

Because he is a d**k who thinks he is an intellectual

Best comment from Dan Lloyd to Kirby's face today

Dan Lloyd 'I know about nothing but cycling you know Carlton alot about everything except for cycling'

• Registered Users Posts: 37,503 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kirby is smart and one of the most enjoyable commentators to listen to.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kirby is smart and one of the most enjoyable commentators to listen to.

Go to bed, you are drunk! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Because he is a d**k who thinks he is an intellectual

Best comment from Dan Lloyd to Kirby's face today

Dan Lloyd 'I know about nothing but cycling you know Carlton alot about everything except for cycling'

I like Dan Lloyd but I think you butchered his statement.

• Advertisement

I like Dan Lloyd but I think you butchered his statement.

OK smart ass what did he say ?

OK smart ass what did he say ?

Easy tiger. Re-read what you wrote.

Easy tiger. Re-read what you wrote.

if you are trying to give me a lesson in writing English think again

But for you information that is what he said...I took it down because I thought it was a great thing to say

if you are trying to give me a lesson in writing English think again

But for you information that is what he said...I took it down because I thought it was a great thing to say

I'm not trying to have a go.

did he say, as you posted

or did he say something like (other variations would work)
    Dan Lloyd 'I know about nothing but cycling you know Carlton, but you know alot about everything except for cycling'

Bits in bold added by me. If he truly said the first, then I do apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Never understood the hate for Carlton. I think he’s great. I certainly learned a lot of info about cycling when I started watching from his commentary.
    Remember he has to get through 5 hours of not much happening and is supposed to keep talking.
    He has viewers with different levels of interest and knowledge of professional cycling. Impossible to keep everyone happy.

shutup wrote: »
    Never understood the hate for Carlton. I think he’s great. I certainly learned a lot of info about cycling when I started watching from his commentary.
    Remember he has to get through 5 hours of not much happening and is supposed to keep talking.
    He has viewers with different levels of interest and knowledge of professional cycling. Impossible to keep everyone happy.

When there's nothing happening his faults are irrelevant/forgivable and his strengths useful.

Carlton's main problem is that he can't read a race when things are happening. This is either frustrating if you can't work it out yourself, or irritating if you can.

I'm not trying to have a go.

did he say, as you posted

or did he say something like (other variations would work)

Bits in bold added by me. If he truly said the first, then I do apologise.

Are you an English teacher ??

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Lumen wrote: »
    When there's nothing happening his faults are irrelevant/forgivable and his strengths useful.

Carlton's main problem is that he can't read a race when things are happening. This is either frustrating if you can't work it out yourself, or irritating if you can.

Good point but that’s what the expert is there for. Him and Sean are the perfect double act.
    I think he’d be missed if replaced by some sky drone who can read a race. It’s a long day and I quite like hearing his musings!

Good point but that’s what the expert is there for. Him and Sean are the perfect double act.
    I think he’d be missed if replaced by some sky drone who can read a race. It’s a long day and I quite like hearing his musings!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. By "read a race" I mean present the facts of what's happening in real time, under pressure. It isn't a strong point of Kelly either, and TBH is it probably very hard to integrate race radio, notes and TV in some overheated commentary cubicle, but there are people who can do it and they're not Carlton.

Carlton is good at the small talk though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Like most Irish lads who are into cycling I like Sean but when Kirby asks Sean for his input it's like getting blood from a stone. What he says is correct but it's like he has some big secret he wants to keep to himself.
    I also find it hilarious the way Sean pronounces words completely wrong in that thick Tipp/Waterford accent but it drives viewers from other countries mad.

Advertisement