Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Froome out of TDF - holy sh1tshow batman

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

the timing on this is unfortunate:

Chris Froome stands to be declared winner of 2011 Vuelta a Espana
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-stands-to-be-declared-winner-of-2011-vuelta-a-espana/

Was about to post this, I have to say it's hardly a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What chances do you give of Cobo overturning this?

Two hopes of him overturning:
    Bob and No

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A fractured femur is potentially career ending at any age. At 34 time is not on his side though. I'd be surprised if we ever see him in the peleton again.

Nah, be grand.

"He has the moral [sic] of a winner and can bounce back quickly. He immediately asked when he can sit on his bike again. I expect that he will be out of competition for at least 6 months. His sporting future is not in danger."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-awake-but-will-remains-in-hospital-under-observation/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Always was suspicious of that cobo victory

A 40+ year old Chris Horner beating a Giro winning that year Nibbles by about 40 seconds in 2013 was an eyebrow raiser too.

• Advertisement

Being retroactively awarded a Grand Tour and crashing at the Dauphiné are not very good for your career prospects. If I was Nibali I'd steer clear of the place for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I don't think it's inconsistent though. Froome was investigated and cleared. Cobo was investigated and suspended.

Plenty of riders have failed tests before only to have the decision overturned on appeal.

yeah, normally ones with sh!tloads of money behind them.

Froome wasn't cleared as a result of an investigation into him. He was 'cleared' because the UCI backed down when Sky's legal might came at them all-guns-blazing to quiz the validity of a test due to findings by some college students that mice blah blah blah. Read Ross Tucker if you want details but it was a nonsense and the authorities didn't have the energy for the fight.

Fcuk Froome and fcuk sky. He has his victories and he'll probably always have them . We're allowed to think what we want. I made my mind up the day he beat Cobo up Pena Carbaga in the 2011 vuelta. Nothing since then has caused me to change it.

i wish him well in his recovery from his injuries but if he never returns to the sport, it will be too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Daroxtar wrote: »
    At any age it's potentially career ending. At his age it's a distinct possibility.
    The full extent of his injuries according to L'equipe are pretty horrific. https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/Actualites/Froome-a-ete-opere-pendant-8-heures/1029441
    Speaking from experience, bouncing off the road at 40kmh is very painful, I can't imagine and don't want to think about hitting a wall at 55.

Try 75 km in my case, still sore 5 years later, although i landed in the ditch.

Having been through it, cant see him being competitive again this season and maybe not next year either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

1bryan wrote: »
    Froome wasn't cleared as a result of an investigation into him. He was 'cleared' because the UCI backed down when Sky's legal might came at them all-guns-blazing to quiz the validity of a test due to findings by some college students that mice blah blah blah. Read Ross Tucker if you want details but it was a nonsense and the authorities didn't have the energy for the fight.

First of all, bear in mind Froome's case involved Ventolin, which is world's apart from blood doping.

Secondly, the rules are pretty clear. If you can establish that the abnormal result was the consequence of a permitted use, it's not an anti-doping violation.

I get that Froome is dull as ditch water. I get that his team aren't likeable, but that's not a reason to deny him due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Try 75 km in my case, still sore 5 years later, although i landed in the ditch.

Having been through it, cant see him being competitive again this season and maybe not next year either.

I'm not belittling Froome's crash, I wish him all the best in his recovery.

Just shows, none of us knows what is just around the corner, literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Dave on a bike

mossym wrote: »
    less interesting i'd say. the froome thomas dynamics of who was being supported is now gone, they'll all be riding for thomas. other teams will have one target to watch, ineos can't play games with a feint by one or the other.

i think this guarantees we see thomas being driven home and the other teams trying to react.

I'd be surprised if Ineos don't try and keep Bernal well up on GC so they always have a second card to play if Thomas falters.

Dan Martin looked shook talking about it yesterday, he was just behind when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

First of all, bear in mind Froome's case involved Ventolin, which is world's apart from blood doping.

Secondly, the rules are pretty clear. If you can establish that the abnormal result was the consequence of a permitted use, it's not an anti-doping violation.

I get that Froome is dull as ditch water. I get that his team aren't likeable, but that's not a reason to deny him due process.

see it's not really due process if it's not available to everyone. Others before him got bans for the same violation. 'Due process' didn't absolve them. Why should it have absolved Froome? Oh yeah, cos money.

Sorry, but the whole thing stinks. One law for the rich, etc......

The day he was popped I was convinced he'd find a way out of it, and it would be because of a 't' that wasn't crossed, as opposed to 'proven-beyond-doubt' innocence.

And I'm convinced if he's ever popped again for anything, the same thing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

George Bennett? of Lotto Jumbo

Verified account

@georgenbennett
    14h14 hours ago
    More
    "In 2012 I was flying to tour of Beijing, I was sitting next to this fat mechanic from Movistar. About half way through the flight I realized it wasn’t a mechanic but the “winner” of the previous years vuelta. Everyone knew he was taking the piss- shame it took this long"

this taken at face value is horse manure - same race Froome makes a name for himself from the unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Always was suspicious of that cobo victory
    The top two were pretty extraordinary - one with no contract offer from either his current team or anyone, coming from no where to put in such a performance. The other was Cobo...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

He'll be fine I think looked to be mostly road rash when I was watching earlier, he was holding his shoulder for a bit and took a knock on the head, but the shoulder seemed fine when they got him to take the jersey off and put a gillet on him.

I'd say the only reason he didn't hop back up was the blow to the head, he looked a little dazed to me.

Not good though going in to the tour in a few weeks and missing out on racing the hard stages here for preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

On Eurosport 2 now, been on the ground now for about 10 minutes but is moving

Advertisement