Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this watch?

• 24-05-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm interested in buying this watch, going to try it on in Weirs soon.
    I have a few nice Tissots and like the brand, think it would be a nice addition!
    Any thought or comments appreciated as its a good few quid!

Cheers

TISSOT T-COMPLICATION SQUELETTE MECHANICAL

https://weirandsons.ie/tissot-t-complication-squelette-mechanical.html

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry, but IMHO that is a mess. It looks a bit like a see through caseback with hands.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Would you have any recommendations for a nice skeleton watch for similar money?
    I think they're interesting to look at but not for reading the time!

Had a quick look on the bay. This has a bit of contrast with the silver hands, they're open to offers, or look for a used one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Maurice-Lacroix-Masterpiece-Squelette-Skeleton-Watch-NEW/113759670661?hash=item1a7c9ad185:g:i8gAAOSwcw9c55Im

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Choosing a watch is a fairly personal subjective thing. You'll get lots of people with different tastes not liking it. The important thing is if you like it. And maybe advice on where to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

I couldn’t bare the depreciation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

For that sort of money you’re nearly into a Tudor Heritage Black Bay, there’s no way I’d drop that sort of cash on the Tissot.

I do like the Tissot Visiodate however, it gets good reviews and it seems like reasonable value.

https://paulsheeran.ie/watches/tissot-heritage-visodate-automatic/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Way to much visual clutter for my liking, I would be staring at it to tell the time. Display back I would be fine with, but for that money I would want a dial included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I owned this model briefly. I thought it was cool, but it was hard to read. I know the skeletal hands make sense given the theme, but solid ones would have made a big difference. I liked how it didn't try to look overly elaborate and decorated like many similar watches. It's also cool just watching it in action.

Maybe look for some open-heart watches instead, which may be a good compromise.

Cool thanks everyone for the comments. I'll go try it on and keep it all in mind.
    Budget wise I know it's a lot of money but there's a big jump to a Maurice Lacroix, which no doubt is a superior watch. So I have to stay within my means.
    Also I'm particularly looking for a skeleton-esk watch as I've a few silver sports watches and gold dress watches.
    But defo something like the Maurice or aTissot is what I'm after!
    What's a good source for used watches? I saw the thread about Watchfinders and it said it was overpriced?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Try watchrecon https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=maurice+

Or chrono24, but don't be shy about haggling on there. Take your time, part of the fun is finding a watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Ew. Of all the watches to spend almost 2 grand on, that wouldn't be one. Reminds me of those landline phones that used to come in clear plastic so you could see all the circuits and it had lights inside. Cool to look at for a few minutes but ultimately it will look a bit tacky and dated.

But I always would prefer more classic looking watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Cienciano wrote: »
    Choosing a watch is a fairly personal subjective thing. You'll get lots of people with different tastes not liking it. The important thing is if you like it. And maybe advice on where to buy.

Just like a suit or a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Sorry, not my cup of chai-latte-mochafrappacino....

I love a good hipster watch, watches aren't for telling time everyone knows that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

A skeleton watch is always going to be a bit marmite, what is less subjective is that €1700 is way too much to pay for a Tissot.

Looking at the Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette now!
    Ive a few sports watches myself for when Im deep sea diving or driving my race car :/

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I don't like skeleton watches so I'm biased but that has to be one of the ugliest 2 grand watches I have ever seen. If you're dead set on a skeleton I'd suggest buying something cheap to scratch that itch and save the rest for when the novelty wears off. Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Seagull-automatic-mechanical-men-s-watch-fashion-hollow-M182SK/32372766421.html

Its a lot of money alright..
    What do you think of this?
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/mauricelacroix/masterpiece-squelette--id11315988.htm

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Its a lot of money alright..
    What do you think of this?
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/mauricelacroix/masterpiece-squelette--id11315988.htm

I know I'm guilty of suggesting it, but they are terrible at holding their value. If you are buying one, make sure it's a keeper, not one that you hope to sell quickly for a quick profit. If I was spending that much on a watch I would like to try it on first.

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm interested in buying this watch, going to try it on in Weirs soon.
    I have a few nice Tissots and like the brand, think it would be a nice addition!
    Any thought or comments appreciated as its a good few quid!

Cheers

TISSOT T-COMPLICATION SQUELETTE MECHANICAL

https://weirandsons.ie/tissot-t-complication-squelette-mechanical.html

The looks are very subjective. Just because it's not everyone's preference shouldn't put you off if you like it. It's kind of a steampunk aesthetic. Not really for me personally but I'm not going to wear it :cool:

Objectively, it has good points to it. The case shows some nice lines and the lugs are quite original.

The ETA 6497-1 movement is very well regarded. I'm sure you're aware it's handwound (mechanical), which I think should always be the case for a skeleton design. It's been used in different forms in some well-regarded brands (Panerai, Omega). It's considered particularly well suited to skeleton watches, because the robust base parts of the movement allow for considerable decorative and aesthetic modifications. Tissot have kept these to a minimum in this watch and I think it works.

A skeleton watch is all about the finishing to the movement and how it is displayed. Of course its a busy look - that's inherent in the design - and you are unavoidably sacrificing some legibility. But I think Tissot have done this nicely here, especially at this price point. For a fully skeletonised piece there is actually an absence of distracting decorative elements. I like the chapter ring.

Anyway, the movement is sturdy, reliable and easy to get serviced (especially in the base version, which this Tissot has, running at 18,000 bph. It can be regulated to chronometer standard. You can get it serviced/regulated anywhere really and it should see you out. A lot of people report great reliability without ever getting this movement serviced.

I have seen comments/reviews to the effect that the OEM strap and deployant clasp are perhaps a little underwhelming. I suspect Tissot made some compromises here to keep it at the price point. In one way you could be happy that the resources went into the decorative features, hands, case etc. In any event you could fit any strap and clasp you wanted as it's lugs are standard size.

So there is a lot to like here. My only other comment would be that I would be reluctant to buy new given the apparent price a good used one is going for. But whether you are happy enough to take on the risk element of buying outside of a dealer network is for you to decide.

Good luck with your decision.

ps I prefer the Tissot to the Maurice Lacroix you are also looking it. I don't like the glitzier elements of the finishing (as I see it) to the Maurice Lacroix. I prefer the simpler, less adorned look of the Tissot. It's showing off a really well-regarded movement nicely and letting the movement speak for itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BTW you should be able to find the tissot second hand for less than a grand if you’re that keen on it. While tissot are often faked, I don’t believe this model is. It wears big - I think I may still have a wrist shot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

For a see-through watch I'd like something in the Bulova Spaceview - it's a tuning fork watch so not a "normal" quartz by any means:

https://www.ebay.ie/b/Bulova-Accutron-Spaceview-Wristwatches/31387/bn_7026845345

Much cheaper than 2k too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I'd be looking at any of the Hamilton Open Hearts before going for the Tissot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thirdfox wrote: »
    For a see-through watch I'd like something in the Bulova Spaceview - it's a tuning fork watch so not a "normal" quartz by any means:

https://www.ebay.ie/b/Bulova-Accutron-Spaceview-Wristwatches/31387/bn_7026845345

Much cheaper than 2k too ;)

That's lovely, and interesting.

Advertisement