Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Track saw

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Feck. Missed the news about the Parkside being back on sale this week. :mad: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I have the parkside one a few years and find it to be great. The blade is a bit poor and blunted quickly so replaced it with a makita one.

Also, the bolt holding the blade got totally jammed in the spindle so had to drill it out but ordered a new one from lidl spare parts for a few quid. While i was at it i also ordered a spare set of tracks to give myself a longer one if needed.

I subsequently ordered the evolution track set and it fits the saw perfectly. It gives two 4 foot tracks that go together for ripping 8 foot sheets and like all evolution products they are great value for money and work really well. Also comes with clamps to attach the track to slipper bits of timber!

I have an evolution circular saw and a mitre saw with leg stand and find their tools to be fantastic.

For my use i couldn't justify the festool and this works so well that the festool would not really be any benefit for me. I have used a mafell in the past which was brilliant for cross cuts as it attached to it's short rail and could be lifted with the rail attached to the saw. Carpenter friend also has the festool so have used that in the past too. The lidl saw works with the festool track also.

I wouldn't be without a track saw now.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

oinkely wrote: »
    While i was at it i also ordered a spare set of tracks to give myself a longer one if needed.

==================

I have an evolution circular saw and a mitre saw with leg stand and find their tools to be fantastic.

Hey, thanks for helpful feedback on those! Would you mind me asking how much those extra Parkside tracks cost, and do Parkside offer anything longer than the 700mm ones that come with it?

Also, is that Evolution circular saw you bought some kind of hybrid type that can with the tracks as well? and if so, then how do you find it compares with the Parkside tracksaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Macker

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Feck. Missed the news about the Parkside being back on sale this week. :mad: :o
    Still have a few in Lidl Drogheda, probably elsewhere too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Macker wrote: »
    Still have a few in Lidl Drogheda, probably elsewhere too

Checked the ones nearest me, but no luck alas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

A relevant video went up about today re. rail compatibility:

Hey, thanks for helpful feedback on those! Would you mind me asking how much those extra Parkside tracks cost, and do Parkside offer anything longer than the 700mm ones that come with it?

Also, is that Evolution circular saw you bought some kind of hybrid type that can with the tracks as well? and if so, then how do you find it compares with the Parkside tracksaw?

I cant remember now how much altogether but it wasn't a lot. Maybe about 25 euro including postage for two tracks and the spindle bolt. The bolt also came with a new outer cover for some reason!

Lidl (compernass) only do the 700mm tracks, which is why i bought the evolution ones.

The evolution circular saw I have predates the tracks and the lidl plunge saw, so doesn't go on the tracks. They have a circular saw in their range now that will go on the tracks. i don't think it's a plunge saw though, but could be wrong on that.

Just used my lidl saw with the two evolution tracks joined this morning to trim down a kick board. Reminded me how brilliant they are! Straight cuts every time! Whic is great for me as i could never cut straight with the circular saw, and am even worse with a jigsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

glynf wrote: »
    A relevant video went up about today re. rail compatibility:

Anyone looking for videos on using a track saw should look at Peter millard other videos. Some great ideas and videos on how to use them .

He compared a few cheap ones as well

oinkely wrote: »
    I cant remember now how much altogether but it wasn't a lot. Maybe about 25 euro including postage for two tracks and the spindle bolt. The bolt also came with a new outer cover for some reason!

Lidl (compernass) only do the 700mm tracks, which is why i bought the evolution ones.

The evolution circular saw I have predates the tracks and the lidl plunge saw, so doesn't go on the tracks. They have a circular saw in their range now that will go on the tracks. i don't think it's a plunge saw though, but could be wrong on that.

Just used my lidl saw with the two evolution tracks joined this morning to trim down a kick board. Reminded me how brilliant they are! Straight cuts every time! Whic is great for me as i could never cut straight with the circular saw, and am even worse with a jigsaw.

Thanks for all that! very helpful

Maybe a silly question, but if the Parkside saw fits Evolution rails, then can a 700mm Parkside rail be connected up to 1400mm Evolution rail ok?

• Advertisement

Maybe a silly question, but if the Parkside saw fits Evolution rails, then can a 700mm Parkside rail be connected up to 1400mm Evolution rail ok?

Probably, however I will check this if it's not raining when I get home from work later on and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

After watching this review/comparison I bought the Titan saw and honestly its performed amazingly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAtdwThiko

I did go and buy an evolution rail which has also gotten good reviews and fits most Tracksaws.
    Take a look at the video, it might convince you. I'm very pelased with my Titan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Put down a laminate floor in bedroom a last month with with the Parkside tracksaw worked well but the 40 year old nilfisk I was using wasn't up too much as a dust extractor. Nearly all cross cuts only had 3 boards to rip length ways. Cross cuts were a doddle once I had my station set up. 2 700mm Tracks joined were just was just about long for the rips. The clamps I had were getting in the way a bit. I can see the rails that clamp underneath the track would be much handier.

Had to do a few mitre cuts with skirting it did struggle and burn a bit with that but I think the blade was a bit knackered by that stage. Laminate was 12mm AC6 rated so pretty tough. I also nicked the splinter guard a bit on one section of track doing the mitre cuts on skirting. I had thought the saw would tip away from it. :o The ends are still ok though so I can still line it up for longer cuts.

As you can see from the saw dust on my work station the hoover wasn't up to much!
    521131.jpg

521132.jpg

Skirting wasn't perfect but good enough when caulked! :p

521133.jpg

Fitting a kitchen this week so few fillers and cover panels to fit. Cut one filler with the parkside blade but it burned a bit, cut wasn't bad it but was under counter so didn't matter. Knew it wouldn't be good enough for cover panels so ordered a new Trend 48T blade for £16 on amazon and got the Lidl Wet/Dry Vac with power takeoff(so much better) Also seen tip about using silicon spray on the tracks which I had somehow missed before. Cut a few Cover panels for wall presses much easier with the thinner blade and extra teeth than the old blade and the silicone spray made it much smoother. Millimetre perfect and I'm a not much of a carpenter.

I have a few cover panels to do for the high presses now. I'd been intending to buy the Evolution 2800mm rails but other things took priority to buy and they're out of stock now on amazon. Not sure whether to just use my 1400mm track and move it carefully or wait till I can get the longer Evolution. Possibly better to wait. The track is cheaper than a cover panel if I mess up moving the short track!

Over all with the new blade and decent dust extractor with auto-start I'm very pleased with it. I've used borrowed circular saws and jigsaws a bit over the years and while I can cut reasonably straight enough for bits that will be hidden out of view with this I can actually think about attempting some proper carpentry.

Mitre saw is something I need to invest in I think. I have a good bit of pelmet and cornice to cut so would be better. I need a new tenon saw anyway and a small mitre box so possibly better putting the money to it. Probably going to end up doing flooring and skirting in two more bedrooms so thinks it's a worthwhile investment. I've jobs around my own house that I'll need it for in the future anyways. Availability and pricing of some of the cheaper recommended saws doesn't seem to great though at the moment.

Advertisement