Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

• 17-10-2018 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There's a red one with a shamrock now, so is there any more need for debate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your dead right, no gimmic makes them acceptable, end off.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's still the Royal British Legion supporting all ex British troops, so no there's no need for debate. You either support them or you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

_Brian wrote: »

White poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I can see them getting trendier here with the "oooh look how modern and progressive I am" attitude that's infesting the country these days.

• Advertisement

White poppy?

No poppy, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Listening to some Fine Gael senator or something on newstalk this morning (I was still half asleep and didn't catch his name!) Anyway his point was, yes by all means we should remember "the fallen" but we should remember them by raging against the shower of bastards who sent them to their deaths, not but sentimentalising it with a poxy paper flower.

I agree with him - the whole gushing over the poppy you see these days is nothing short of disgusting. I just don't get the romanticising of war.

I'm sorry Britain, you didn't have a "glorious empire" - you raped and plundered half the world. Your history isn't anything to be proud of, quite the opposite in fact. The world doesn't look up to you with awe and respect - you are in fact a right shower of cúnts!

So, eh, no poppy for me thanks:D (unless you mean that blondie one above, there's always an exception!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Huge numbers of Irish born served in both wars.

Including my grandfather (born in Moville) who ended up as captain of a corvette.

When he was invalided out in '42 he retired back to Moville again.

Was massively proud of his service for the rest of his life.

there are still numerous Irish born (North and South) serving in the British forces.

Listening to some Fine Gael senator or something on newstalk this morning (I was still half asleep and didn't catch his name!) Anyway his point was, yes by all means we should remember "the fallen" but we should remember them by raging against the shower of bastards who sent them to their deaths, not but sentimentalising it with a poxy paper flower.

Give me their addresses and I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Including my grandfather (born in Moville) who ended up as captain of a corvette.

there are still numerous Irish born (North and South) serving in the British forces.

Their passports should instantly be ripped to shreds as soon as they sign up. The actual Irish ones I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

27,000 Irish men served in WW2. Both those living in the UK and Irish here.

Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over

Many of these Irish gave their lives in the war for freedom from oppression.

Time and past time to give world wide thanks for our freedom together

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

You know there's more than two wars, right? And the poppy represents them all, including the atrocities committed in Ireland and India...right?

It's become an almost fascist movement that everyone in the UK is required to wear a poppy for a few weeks before and after Remembrance Sunday.

This a very valid point.

However it doesn’t succeed the fact that the poppy has come so symbolise support for the British armed forces, the same forces that occupied the six counties in such a brutal fashion, it’s insulting to people to expect them to accept such a symbol.
    It may not be it’s initial intention, but that’s what it’s become a symbol of.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yay, the annual Poppy thread!!!

I'm sure people will make thoughtful and insightful contributions that haven't been aired before in previous years' editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Patww79 wrote: »
    Their passports should instantly be ripped to shreds as soon as they sign up. The actual Irish ones I mean.

Why? It's no different than leaving to work on oil fields in the middle east or construction, engineering or any other oppurtunity anywhere else in the world. Should they have their passports ripped up too? If the opportunities were here people would stay here but they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Graces7 wrote: »

Churchill said that without them the war would not have been won; Hitler would have taken over

I think the 20-odd million lives lost by the USSR was perhaps slightly more responsible for preventing "Hitler taking over" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Come and take mine, hard man.
    For the record, despite having served in HM Forces, I will only wear my poppy on the day before and day of Rememberance, unless I really have a change in mind. I'm not happy with how it has been co-opted by celebrities and politicians to virtue signal that they are 'standing with the troops'. Especially the latter, they could not give a solitary toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

judestynes wrote: »
    Why? It's no different than leaving to work on oil fields in the middle east or construction, engineering or any other oppurtunity anywhere else in the world. Should they have their passports ripped up too? If the opportunities were here people would stay here but they aren't.

Completely different in my opinion. Working in a commercial industry is not the same as working for a foreign military.

Where would the loyalty of the Irish in the British armed forces really lie, in the hugely unlikely scenario that British military forces take action against Ireland in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That's a great idea , nothing prooves a point better than tearing something apart

We could rip up their birth certs too , to show how forward thinking and progressive we've become .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I wish people would shut up about WW1 and WW2, that’s not what the poppy commemorates.

It’s a Legion symbol that commemorates ALL soldiers in ALL conflicts and is accompanied by a giant love-in for the British armed forces. Fact.

It’s like every year people stick their fingers in their ears and start shouting la la la.

I think we should commemorate the Irish war dead, but we should have our own symbol and not latch onto a British one with loads of baggage about their colonial conflicts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,381 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is this debated every year?

The poppy is a British symbol for their war dead. It is also used in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The wars involved many countries all over the world but the vast majority do not use the poppy.

The US, France, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Russia etc all suffered greatly in the wars

Ireland is an independent country now and like any independent country it can remember its war dead how it chooses just like all the other countries.

We do not have to use the poppy which is organised by the "Royal British Legion".

Also, over the last few years the poppy has come to be a British jingoistic and populist symbol that has become compulsory to wear in the UK. Look at the furor over football James McClean refusal to wear it. In my opinion that denies people the liberty of choice that they claimed to have fought for.

We should keep well away from it and it does not show immaturity to not want anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,880 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I can see them getting trendier here with the "oooh look how modern and progressive I am" attitude that's infesting the country these days.

"Modern and progressive" and "Royal British Legion" are never going to be part of the same attitude.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

That's a great idea , nothing prooves a point better than tearing something apart

We could rip up their birth certs too , to show how forward thinking and progressive we've become .

and stamp on the bits thrown on the floor?

come on, lets throw the full tantrum over this

go hard or go home

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

oh good I was looking forward to this year's poppy thread...

"Modern and progressive" and "Royal British Legion" are never going to be part of the same attitude.
    Based on your experiences of what, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Completely different in my opinion. Working in a commercial industry is not the same as working for a foreign military.

Where would the loyalty of the Irish in the British armed forces really lie, in the hugely unlikely scenario that British military forces take action against Ireland in the future?

Ireland is a nuetral country Britain isn't. Young people join foreign militaries be they British , American or French do so because they want to see combat, loyalty doesn't come into it. As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.

Graces7 wrote: »

yerra ffs anyone who believes that is seriously fooling themselves.

WWII was ultimately settled by the USSR and the US. And the turning point of the war was Germany's folly into the USSR. Stalingrad alone cost the USSR 1.1m soldiers in deaths and casualties.

But it was the 27000 Irish people...

One only has to look at the number of USAF bases in the UK to understand who really 'won' the war.

Ireland is a nuetral country Britain isn't. Young people join foreign militaries be they British , American or French do so because they want to see combat, loyalty doesn't come into it. As for being employed by a foreign military it's the very same as being employed by a foreign company.

that's very simplistic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

_Brian wrote: »

That whole line hurt my eyes.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

that's very simplistic
    Aye, but in my experience it is true. Most lads from Ireland who joined the forces did so to go on tour.

Advertisement